Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fair enough. I'd disagree on the 70%, on the basis that excluding international and business travel already knocks 20-30% off the top already. Not only would leisure have to deliver its entire normal segment, it would have to pretty quickly make up for those losses that are unlikely to return as quickly.
Agreed. Don‘t forget the number of people who also visit WDW as part of a convention or related to business travel. Add to that the people going for sporting events or school type trips (pop Warner football, cheerleading stuff, school band trips, etc)That stuff is almost at zero too. Between international travel, business travel and other special interest trips you are likely down at least 1/3 and that doesn’t even consider anyone who wouldn’t want to go even if there wasn’t a travel quarantine.

DisneyCane

Exactly. Reducing the number to zero would have required a total, 2 week lock down of everyone. Which might have meant even more initial deaths but a decrease in numbers long term. And it would have required everyone on earth doing so simultaneously, or as soon as travel restrictions were eased, the numbers would shoot up again.

And even then it might just become dormant, and flare right up again. Until either a vaccine was found, or this particular strain mutated into something less deadly.
It would have taken a lot longer than two weeks. Asymptomatic people would have gone into lockdown with as yet uninfected members of their households. Plus, there are outliers with longer incubation periods. Also, when you say "total" lockdown, it would have had to been complete and total lockdown. No "essential" businesses. No first responder interactions. You'd have to isolate everybody in the world from each other for probably two months.

Anything short of that and you will always get flare ups again. There is no way to eradicate this virus without herd immunity, whether that immunity comes from natural spread or an effective vaccine taken by a large enough percentage of the population.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It's about ELIMINATING cases thereby preventing others from catching the disease. What part of this doesn't make sense to you "intellectually"? At least intellectuals can capitalize their damn sentences.
Resorting to personal attacks after you just posted about how you don't appreciate people attacking you and your city. And to top it off, youre attacking someone from "your city".

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

DisneyCane

Sorry...but they absolutely should. They can spread the virus, they are a "case". They are not a patient.
There was a New York Times story which I will dig up when I have time that found that up to 90% of the people who test positive on a PCR test don't have enough virus in their system to be contagious.

There is a lot of uncertainty about whether asymptomatic people are actually contagious in large numbers vs. pre-symptomatic people.

rowrbazzle

The funny thing is that when I read this I think that this is how we should handle the pandemic in the US and probably would have 30-40 years ago. No one needs mandatory quarantines or masking as the large majority would do this already. You are never going to get 100% of people to all do the same thing even when there are laws. So treat people with dignity and respect and give them the truth and the vast majority will do the right thing. I know most will disagree with me but this is how it should have been handled here. Not allowing some dictator governors to hold people hostage when they could implement safe procedures and still go out and function in society.
From what I've seen, it wasn't until mandates were put in place that a large majority started wearing masks in many places. I have philosophical problems with imposing these kinds of mandates, but I understand why they're in place.

At this point everyone should really know what needs to be done. But it seems like there are still a large number who either don't understand or just don't care.

baymenxpac

DisneyCane

Sounds to me like you're not living in an appropriate amount of fear.
My fear is pretty much zero. I have taken every planned trip since the pandemic started except one in March because the hotels were shut down.

The only thing I do differently that isn't forced upon me is that I avoid spending any significant time indoors around people in the vulnerable age group. Any interaction with my mom or other elderly people of more than a few seconds I do outdoors at 6 ft+ distance.

DisneyCane

Fair enough. I'd disagree on the 70%, on the basis that excluding international and business travel already knocks 20-30% off the top. Not only would leisure have to deliver its entire normal segment, it would have to pretty quickly make up for those losses that are unlikely to return as quickly.
True about international and business travel but some of that would be made up by people going to WDW instead of Europe, for example, because they can't travel there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
True about international and business travel but some of that would be made up by people going to WDW instead of Europe, for example, because they can't travel there.
I’m not sure about the bump for WDW from no international travel out of the US, it’s more than zero but I wouldn’t think it’s all that material to the total numbers. In other words not a lot of people would be traveling to Europe to go to a theme park so instead decide to stay domestic. I think that’s a bigger bump for say a beach vacation where people may be more inclined to go to a domestic beach if their intl beach trip is cancelled.

If things continue unchanged in CA, WDW could get a bump from people further West who would normally travel to DLR or another theme park in CA that still isn’t open. That could be a more meaningful number, but assumes no DLR for the next several months or so which seems more and more likely.

Kevin_W

for anyone interested in some medical journal reading today. peer-reviewed. interesting finding:

Thanks for the post. I saw the first correlation data months ago, but this goes into a bit more detail. It's still mostly correlational and theory, but it would help to explain some of the regional infection differences if accurate.

Tink242424

I think you’re reading everything wrong (and I see leggy...JT...whatever he’s going by now is onboard 👍🏻)

If I wanted to go full on politics...boy I could lace em up for that one...but I don’t want to get too far off that path.

I know a fool when I hear one speak - however - and it’s never been easier to spot one.

Here’s what I “want”: I want to travel, I want to not wear masks, I want to not dunk my hands in rubbing alcohol 11 times a day...I want less business disruption...I want a new subject to talk about...I want Kris Letang Traded for a bang of pucks...

Is that too much??

But what I NEED is for everyone to shut up and just do the maximum to end this. Now. Get in line and know your role. I don’t need pro-Disney zealots telling me they know public Health causes they want their normal vacations...and that’s what we gets tons of round here.

As far as policy and politics: I need people to admit when they been had by hucksters...because shouting longer/louder doesn’t nor ever will change the results of the con. Don’t go down with the ship.

...or go down...during “quiet hours” to not drown out the band.
COVID isn't going to end and even with masks/social distancing you will still see spread. We have to learn to live with this disease for the rest of humanity. Even with a vaccine people will get COVID and some of them will die. That is life.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Some positive news for Disneyland -

"Beginning in November there will be even more distinctively Disney dining and shopping for you to enjoy at the Disneyland Resort, when the Downtown Disney District extends to Buena Vista Street!

Recently, we introduced Downtown Disney guests to the Disneyland Resort Backlot Premiere Shopat Stage 17. This store is currently showcasing an array of seasonal merchandise for you to browse. With Buena Vista Street soon opening select shopping and dining experiences, you can find even more places to enjoy a memorable meal or a fun shopping excursion during your visit.

Here’s what you can discover – be sure to put these places on your shopping and dining list:
  • Holiday shopping? Head to Elias & Co. The store is divided into distinct sections for men, women and children, so you’ll find something special for the entire family! At Julius Katz & Sons, peruse even more holiday merchandise and Disney-themed home décor. At Kingswell Camera Shop offers great gift-giving ideas like frames, photo albums and more. Buena Vista Street stores have a variety of your Disney favorites!
  • If you are looking to tempt your taste buds with a snack, Trolley Treats offers classic candies, old-fashioned confections and all kinds of freshly made treats. Vending carts will offer popcorn, churros, ice cream and other “must-bite” treats.
  • Swing by Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe for the enchanting sights and sounds of Buena Vista Street—and a cup of coffee or scrumptious artisan sandwich.
  • Sit-down dining options include Carthay Circle Lounge, where you can unwind in our expanded outdoor seating area featuring an all-new menu of cocktails and dining. Smokejumpers Grill is serving up tasty American classics for lunch and dinner with a streamlined menu of burgers, fries, onion rings and craft beer, located just around the corner from Buena Vista Street. The primary way to place your order at this dining location is through mobile order on the Disneyland App.*
Only the shopping and dining experiences along Buena Vista Street will be accessible from the Downtown Disney District at this time, as Disney California Adventure park is currently closed."

don't know why they didn't do this sooner.

Chip Chipperson

There was a New York Times story which I will dig up when I have time that found that up to 90% of the people who test positive on a PCR test don't have enough virus in their system to be contagious.

There is a lot of uncertainty about whether asymptomatic people are actually contagious in large numbers vs. pre-symptomatic people.

How much virus in your system at the time of your test depends on how long into your illness you are. In the beginning of this whole thing when tests weren't widely available to everyone and some places required a referral from a doctor just to get tested and then sometimes had to wait for days just to get an appointment at a testing site, you weren't going to have as much of the virus show up in the test if you were 4-5 days into showing symptoms before you could get to a testing site.

Chip Chipperson

don't know why they didn't do this sooner.

I'm just speculating, but it could be that they didn't want to take on the added operating costs while under the impression that they would eventually be able to open the parks in a limited capacity - especially if they feared doing so would give the governor an excuse to further delay issuing reopening guidelines. That ship has sailed now and they know it's going to be a while before they can open the parks, so this seems like a last resort to generate some amount of revenue greater than the $0 the parks there are currently bringing in.

Tink242424

So, we're still doing it to protect hospitals? I thought it was more comprehensive than that. You know, allow businesses and schools to reopen safely. To protect the economy from getting worse. Tight quarters where people don't have the choice to just get in a car and drive somewhere else. Conservatives made and continue to make a big song and dance about the hospitals but what about all of the other dominoes? The domino effect of watching everything else crumble?

I can't sit by and read these continued attacks on my city -- a city that was put through the ringer and continues to be, even though we're the biggest success story in the country. And continue to be, comparatively.
How is this just about New York?? I don't think anyone said it was. This is about the media as a whole moving the goal posts for the ENTIRE country. 🤷‍♀️

Tink242424

Who’s not allowed to go out and function today? More things are open today in the US than in Sweden, including theme parks and fans in the stands at sports games.
Well I live in NJ and for months we couldn't go to the gym. We only just got that sometime in July. And we only just got indoor dining. So there have been a lot of restrictions on businesses that were longer than needed. I fully agree that in the beginning we needed to shut things down and get to the bottom of things but once we knew more it shouldn't have been mandated for businesses to stay closed. Give people the information on how to stay safe and then the customer will drive businesses to implement safety protocols. That is my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom