Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwfan22

I think Disney also knows that when they do reopen and the tourist start returning they aren't going to be as forgiving as the locals and vloggers walking around saying its so great to be back at Disney Springs. The tourist are the real money makers for Disney. They are the ones who are going to plop thousands of dollars on trips for the Disney experience. They are not going to be forgiving if they can't deliver what they have paid for. So I can imagine Disney wants to move slowly to make sure they have their ducks in a row.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You said they were for PR.

I do not believe Universal and Disney are requiring the masks for PR. I believe they make them a requirement because they mitigate risk and make it safer to open.
I believe the operators are going along with them on rollout for good PR. I’m not saying that they’re ineffective. I do however say they actually could be more dangerous in Florida...but that’s a guess.

Both things can be true. They can be good for health and still a PR stunt on parallel planes.

Everyday, we see dozens of examples in this coverage of how economic and health plans of action do NOT necessarily correspond. They’re trying to maintain an angry “boyfriend/girlfriend” relationship.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think Disney also knows that when they do reopen and the tourist start returning they aren't going to be as forgiving as the locals and vloggers walking around saying its so great to be back at Disney Springs. The tourist are the real money makers for Disney. They are the ones who are going to plop thousands of dollars on trips for the Disney experience. They are not going to be forgiving if they can't deliver what they have paid for. So I can imagine Disney wants to move slowly to make sure they have their ducks in a row.
I’ve had people for a month tell me Disney can make profit from just Florida residents...

A concept that is straight from the outer realms of the 4th dimension

wdwfan22

I’ve had people for a month tell me Disney can make profit from just Florida residents...

A concept that is straight from the outer realms of the 4th dimension

I know I hear that one all the time to. Most of the locals work in hospitality making no money. Hell even the vloggers can't afford the Disney experience. Disney can't make it on them. They need to tourist who can afford to stay in the resorts and spend money. No offense to the locals but they can't cough up the dough to keep them afloat.

Bob Harlem

I don’t disagree with any of that. That also doesn’t stop people from assuming an opening date anyway. The overwhelming reaction I’ve seen here and other places is if Universal opens first week of June Disney has to be a week or 2 behind at most. I do wonder if that mindset led to a spike in reservations for the first week of July and that led to this announcement sorta walking back the timeline.

Mainly because business wise it would be downright stupid not to open up shortly after, and shareholders would be rightly angry. But they will, most likely, reopen the parks June 14th/15th. The limitations and ramp up will be high, but they must start somewhere. Anything short of that is financially irresponsible. (For the parks, resorts are a different story)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The epidemiology community on Twitter is very concerned with this today. It doesn't match their math at all (and in areas with extensive outbreaks, observed reality), and so they are trying to figure out if it was some sort of unintentional error or intentional data manipulation. And yes, a political climate in which everything the CDC releases about this virus has to first go through the Task Force does make it hard to know when you should trust the CDC.

This is going to be a very long summer, and we are setting ourselves up for an even longer fall and winter. All the normal disinformation tricks and political gamemanship aren't going to work on a virus, when push comes to shove. People will continue to get sick or not, die or or not, stay home or not. They will, however, give some people a very wrong impression about future scenarios, and destroy the trust of other people who are doing their homework and trying to understand what is really going on, delaying any sort of sustained economic recovery and true return to normalcy. People can demean the cautious approach to this virus, all they want, but the economy needs those people too.
That’s one side. There’s another side that has said the current CDC numbers are finally catching up to reality. I guess you can choose to believe whoever you want. I’d prefer to believe the reality of the situation and not the simulations of what could maybe, possibly, happen.

rowrbazzle

What cavalier actions?? If the poster decides to go to a theme park, out to dinner, out to shop, etc. and feels safe doing so where is the problem? If another person who may be in a more vulnerable state does the same thing, with or without safeguards they have to know that there is a greater risk for them. Even going to a grocery store for essentials might be a problem which is why stores in my area have a designated shopping time for elderly/ more at risk people early in the morning. My Aunt is having her groceries delivered as she is in a higher risk category. The more at risk person has to take the appropriate precautions for themselves. I dont see how the poster is putting anyone else in danger, unless the others venture out and are willing to accept the same risk. Marie

The only thing I'd say is that some people don't have the choice to stay home. Most workers are there because they have to be, not because they're choosing to accept the risk. I don't think it's cavalier to go out, but it depends how you do it. If people aren't being careful (wearing a mask, keeping distant when possible), then those people are putting the workers at risk.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Mainly because business wise it would be downright stupid not to open up shortly after, and shareholders would be rightly angry. But they will, most likely, June 14th/15th. The limitations and ramp up will be high, but they must start somewhere. Anything short of that is financially irresponsible. (For the parks, resorts are a different story)
Most of the analysts I’ve seen reports from are not expecting a meaningful impact from the P&R segment until next fiscal year (starting Oct 1). If the parks open at limited capacity with limited capacity for dining and resorts they aren’t going to generate normal profits for a while. Financially TWDC isn’t losing a whole lot waiting another month. I doubt there would be a shareholder revolt. Park fans who want them to open sooner will be upset, but ultimately will come back anyway. Nothing lost for TWDC.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Mainly because business wise it would be downright stupid not to open up shortly after, and shareholders would be rightly angry. But they will, most likely, reopen the parks June 14th/15th. The limitations and ramp up will be high, but they must start somewhere. Anything short of that is financially irresponsible. (For the parks, resorts are a different story)
Disagree...

They know exactly how their money is made in the parks and where it’s coming from.

Those conditions have to be in place or it makes no sense to go down that road.

They days of empty January, May, September crowds are long gone. They won’t be coming back due to the monetary requirements in the division now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Most of the analysts I’ve seen reports from are not expecting a meaningful impact from the P&R segment until next fiscal year (starting Oct 1). If the parks open at limited capacity with limited capacity for dining and resorts they aren’t going to generate normal profits for a while. Financially TWDC isn’t losing a whole lot waiting another month. I doubt there would be a shareholder revolt. Park fans who want them to open sooner will be upset, but ultimately will come back anyway. Nothing lost for TWDC.
Exactly...

People forget the huge overhead and labor costs involved in a park startup...and forget the food trucks aren’t coming and Uncle Sam is paying the plebs right now.

Opening is a step backwards in the HOPE it’s two steps forward. They will be conservative. That bulletin from them is an obvious warning

Last edited:

wannabeBelle

The only thing I'd say is that some people don't have the choice to stay home. Most workers are there because they have to be, not because they're choosing to accept the risk. I don't think it's cavalier to go out, but it depends how you do it. If people aren't being careful (wearing a mask, keeping distant when possible), then those people are putting the workers at risk.
Absolutely correct. I have been good about wearing masks in stores that I have to go to, keeping as distant as I can possibly be, waiting my turn to get to the items on the shelves in the grocery store that I need. I agree there are others who arent, but from what I have seen they are the extreme minority. Much respect to all of our essential workers!!! Marie

Flugell

Actually I’d like society to go ahead and start functioning again. What I meant was, we are all dealing with the repercussions of Covid-19. But we sure as bleep ain’t together in the same boat.
Just trying to see both points of view in a conciliatory manner.
1. We are all in this together because we are all human beings who at some point want WDW to open.
2. Some people, myself included, are worried by the apparent speed that the phases are being implemented before the relevant data, at least 2 weeks later Is being analysed to indicate a trend.
3. That being said if WDW chooses to open then, as you say, you are entitled to visit.
4. What you are not entitled to do is to ignore WDW “rules” and be unconcerned about the “potential “ risk of taking it back to your home and causing an infection there.
5. So be careful at all places and enjoy your vacation and spend lots of money to help an economy that should be supported, as most people in the U.K. are, by the government/state etc.
6. You are, like everyone else on this forum, absolutely entitled to an opinion and to act as you see fit, as am I!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom