Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Pan's Shadow

Coincidentally I don't want to hear about masks one way or another. It's been beaten to death here, we've been told to refrain from it and no one is changing their mind based on your dribble here. If you're too weak to hold back go somewhere else to post it. We have some exciting news on the reg about openings and stuff finally.

Lilofan

Masks are effective. People who don't want to wear them just don't want to hear it.

I maybe popping some Tylenol while wearing the mask. Trying to use it for long periods of time and it's giving me a headache. Certainly the Disney prices can and now it's the mask.

DisneyDebRob

Again, my point wasn't about science not working (it obviously is). My point was that some people selective choose which "new research" they use to justify their personal beliefs, which are not science.
Then I read your post wrong. As for the selectively choose part, that’s been happening since the beginning of time.
No one on here is going to change their mind by someone’s post. You can see it all the time. Someone asks for proof , then someone proves it in another post. He is then beaten up over fake news, bad sources, ..etc. so your right, it’s always going to be selective choosing. Maybe if we all looked at something and said, hmm that’s different then my opinion, let me actually look into this. We all might be better informed.
Science is always the way though as I’m sure you agree. None of us would be able to eat our dinner, ge medical help when needed, even ride a ride at WDW without it. It’s a shame that more people everywhere don’t support it more.
“ Science doesn’t care what you believe “ is one of the great quotes out there, along with being a great t shirt.

Chi84

Premium Member
Masks are effective. People who don't want to wear them just don't want to hear it.

Surgical masks, worn correctly, are proven effective. The problem is the masks we are wearing are not surgical masks, and from what I see and hear, they are not being worn correctly.

VaderTron

You're assuming she's infected. I assume she's not. The numbers are overwhelmingly on my side. Science.

That's not science. That's probability and chance. So is Russian Roulette. Only in this version of the "game" you're holding the gun to multiple people's head, not just your own. If you were to actually play such a "game" and someone died as a result you would be arrested for murder. Draw your own conclusions as to how it applies. I'm done with answering posts and trying to educate the idiots.

We all know the majority of people today are selfish and only care how they immediately are affected. That's why nothing that the sensible say about caution and caring for others before ourselves will make a hill of beans.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I’m not claiming they aren’t effective.

I’m saying I don’t see their longterm mandatory usage in the “Vegas of the east” - Orlando, Florida, USA.

Masks are gonna hurt the business...bigtime. And even if that’s ok as they “feel things out” for a few months...financially I can’t see that being a plan that lasts.

Unless the virus kicks back up and forces more closures. I won’t discuss that. Disney, Comcast, Florida, Wall Street, the lobbyists on K street have no plan for that. There isn’t one.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney releases new statement on 'Planning Your Disney Parks Vacation'
I wonder if they saw a flurry of bookings for the beginning of July after Universal announced their date. People assuming they would be open then. Could be why they came out with this. Interesting either way to speculate.

hopemax

You could just use the CDC estimate if you want. Though I’m not sure when people want to listen to them and when they don’t. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 471742
The epidemiology community on Twitter is very concerned with this today. It doesn't match their math at all (and in areas with extensive outbreaks, observed reality), and so they are trying to figure out if it was some sort of unintentional error or intentional data manipulation. And yes, a political climate in which everything the CDC releases about this virus has to first go through the Task Force does make it hard to know when you should trust the CDC.

This is going to be a very long summer, and we are setting ourselves up for an even longer fall and winter. All the normal disinformation tricks and political gamemanship aren't going to work on a virus, when push comes to shove. People will continue to get sick or not, die or or not, stay home or not. They will, however, give some people a very wrong impression about future scenarios, and destroy the trust of other people who are doing their homework and trying to understand what is really going on, delaying any sort of sustained economic recovery and true return to normalcy. People can demean the cautious approach to this virus, all they want, but the economy needs those people too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder if they saw a flurry of bookings for the beginning of July after Universal announced their date. People assuming they would be open then. Could be why they came out with this. Interesting either way to speculate.
You have to understand the beast...and unfortunately it’s very obvious some fans do more than others.

I don’t believe Disney is happy with the lack of guidelines in Florida really at all. They don’t want the liability.

They’re waiting it out some. That being said - they are under pressure to act as though the gravy train is about to start...so they’re taking reservations and will continue the rolling cancel.

That’s how this reads.

People keep saying: “they need to open!”
No.

And they say “they can open for just a few people”
No.

And “they have to open for the employees!!”
Hell no.
(On that...more tax payments and extended UE is all but a certainty now...it’s just a political football to score points for the election by both sides at this juncture)

They ain’t in a hurry. When they open...it’s because they’re much better data gleaning system says the risks are far outweighed by the revenues. Not till that day...be it next week or next year or likely in between.

wdwfan22

My guess is they want you to know even if you have any type of reservations when they reopen, you will not be guaranteed anything. Resorts may not all open at once and have to tweak/cancel reservations. Restaurants will be at reduced capacity so again they might have to tweak/cancel reservations. Park capacity may also not be able to guarantee the amount of tickets currently sold. I think they want you to know that even with confirmed reservations/tickets nothing is going to be guaranteed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You have to understand the beast...and unfortunately it’s very obvious some fans do more than others.

I don’t believe Disney is happy with the lack of guidelines in Florida really at all. They don’t want the liability.

They’re waiting it out some. That being said - they are under pressure to act as though the gravy train is about to start...so they’re taking reservations and will continue the rolling cancel.

That’s how this reads.

People keep saying: “they need to open!”
No.

And they say “they can open for just a few people”
No.

And “they have to open for the employees!!”
Hell no.
(On that...more tax payments and extended UE is all but a certainty now...it’s just a political football to score points for the election by both sides at this juncture)

They ain’t in a hurry. When they open...it’s because they’re much better data gleaning system says the risks are far outweighed by the revenues. Not till that day...be it next week or next year or likely in between.
I don’t disagree with any of that. That also doesn’t stop people from assuming an opening date anyway. The overwhelming reaction I’ve seen here and other places is if Universal opens first week of June Disney has to be a week or 2 behind at most. I do wonder if that mindset led to a spike in reservations for the first week of July and that led to this announcement sorta walking back the timeline.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My guess is they want you to know even if you have any type of reservations when they reopen, you will not be guaranteed anything. Resorts may not all open at once and have to tweak/cancel reservations. Restaurants will be at reduced capacity so again they might have to tweak/cancel reservations. Park capacity may also not be able to guarantee the amount of tickets currently sold. I think they want you to know that even with confirmed reservations/tickets nothing is going to be guaranteed.
I knew at some point the 10 years of egregious price increases would cause a problem for me...

Just didn’t know it would be this way.
Hardly anyone has dumped more money down their well over the years than me.

But I’m not gonna overpay for reduced/limited value offerings like they’re doing me a “favor” being open.

No thanks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t disagree with any of that. That also doesn’t stop people from assuming an opening date anyway. The overwhelming reaction I’ve seen here and other places is if Universal opens first week of June Disney has to be a week or 2 behind at most. I do wonder if that mindset led to a spike in reservations for the first week of July and that led to this announcement sorta walking back the timeline.
That would be true if Disney saw universal or I-drive as a threat...which they don’t and really shouldn’t.

Disney not opening right after universal doesn’t hurt Disney...it actually hurts universal.

Who’s traveling in the summer to Orlando at high maintenance and expense if wdw isn’t available?...not the same thing if the roles are reversed

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
I’m not claiming they aren’t effective.

I’m saying I don’t see their longterm mandatory usage in the “Vegas of the east” - Orlando, Florida, USA.

Masks are gonna hurt the business...bigtime. And even if that’s ok as they “feel things out” for a few months...financially I can’t see that being a plan that lasts.

Unless the virus kicks back up and forces more closures. I won’t discuss that. Disney, Comcast, Florida, Wall Street, the lobbyists on K street have no plan for that. There isn’t one.
You said they were for PR.

I do not believe Universal and Disney are requiring the masks for PR. I believe they made them a requirement because they mitigate risk and make it safer to open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom