Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

Also acceptable. HOWEVER...the employees (and clients) at a specific company aren't being made to adhere to the policies the company put in place as part of re-opening - which were e-mailed to everyone prior to the re-open date. (Yes...I'm talking about a real-world situation.) The company has also reversed direction on something stated (again, in writing) at the beginning of the pandemic that is costing many employees hundreds of dollars.
You work at my husband's employer? There seems to be many companies backpeddling, including writing people up for going home with fever or cough.

RaveOnEd

These companies need to be brought to task for how they treat human beings that keep their companies running. (It's my husband.)
I know. I've been reading about a lot of this happening. That's what I don't like about the PPP program in that it kept some businesses that maybe shouldn't have stayed open, open.

The only things I could think of is to report it to local authorities, since part of them opening again was to adhere to guidelines.

ImperfectPixie

I know. I've been reading about a lot of this happening. That's what I don't like about the PPP program in that it kept some businesses that maybe shouldn't have stayed open, open.

The only things I could think of is to report it to local authorities, since part of them opening again was to adhere to guidelines.
We've decided to give them a chance to do the right thing. If they don't, they're going to be reported to the Attorney General's Fair Labor Division, and likely the local law enforcement authorities, seeing as masks in public places where 6' distancing cannot be maintained are mandated by law with a $300 fine per violation.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I prefer the side that says: If the "best estimate" says 1.3% of people 65+ will die, and then you go to NYC and see that 1.8% of the people 65+ have already died (with the pandemic ongoing, so this number will continue to increase) your best estimate is wrong.
Laughable. New York made a policy decision to kill off people in LTC facilities. Skews the numbers a bit, don’t you think?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Can't find anything Universal is saying concretely about capacity. Wondering if it'd be around 30%? 50%?

Numbers about capacity were not talked about during the OC Task Force meeting nor in the materials presented.

So far, this is all that has been said (this is in their new FAQ)

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 3.19.39 PM.png

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is how UO will be handling masks and attractions -

Will I have to wear my face covering while on the attractions?

Yes, guests will be required to wear face coverings on attractions. The only exception will be for attractions that include significant amounts of water as part of the experience, as well as Volcano Bay’s slides and pools.

At Volcano Bay, will I have to wear my face covering while on the slides?

Face coverings are recommended when guests cannot socially distance. They will not be permitted on slides and in pools.

Will all Volcano Bay team members wear face coverings?

Face coverings are required for team members in “dry” roles. Team members who have “wet” roles, such as lifeguards, will wear a balaclava when they cannot socially distance. These will not be worn on slides or in pools for safety reasons.

RaveOnEd

We've decided to give them a chance to do the right thing. If they don't, they're going to be reported to the Attorney General's Fair Labor Division, and likely the local law enforcement authorities, seeing as masks in public places where 6' distancing cannot be maintained are mandated by law with a $300 fine per violation.
Trust me, I understand. I've been to Lowe's and most of the employees (as well as some customers) were not wearing any coverings, nor keeping any kind of distance.

Whatever your view of the virus is, there is a reason behind things opening up again, and they need to be followed for this to work out.

Kevin_W

You work at my husband's employer? There seems to be many companies backpeddling, including writing people up for going home with fever or cough.

We've never closed and have actually gotten more conservative regarding masks inside the workplace in the past week or two instead of backpeddling.

Patcheslee

These companies need to be brought to task for how they treat human beings that keep their companies running. (It's my husband.)
Same for husband, his coworker was just given a 3 day layoff for missing, coincidentally because he misses today and Tuesday he so won't get Holiday pay either. I've told husband he needs to report it, but fears violations and legal fees would close the business for good. Coupled with the general employee treatment that as always happened, it's caused a couple heated discussions about finding another job.

Patcheslee

We've never closed and have actually gotten more conservative regarding masks inside the workplace in the past week or two instead of backpeddling.
N95 masks were taken from my husband's work area, now they can wear a bandana "if they want". This employer might have also told the only female working the shop floor they could no longer leave the line to take care of monthly.

ImperfectPixie

Here is how UO will be handling masks and attractions -

Will I have to wear my face covering while on the attractions?

Yes, guests will be required to wear face coverings on attractions. The only exception will be for attractions that include significant amounts of water as part of the experience, as well as Volcano Bay’s slides and pools.

At Volcano Bay, will I have to wear my face covering while on the slides?

Face coverings are recommended when guests cannot socially distance. They will not be permitted on slides and in pools.

Will all Volcano Bay team members wear face coverings?

Face coverings are required for team members in “dry” roles. Team members who have “wet” roles, such as lifeguards, will wear a balaclava when they cannot socially distance. These will not be worn on slides or in pools for safety reasons.
Interestingly, because of the health crisis, the ADA laws that would normally allow for certain exemptions are not applicable.

TrainsOfDisney

Yep! I work for a company that's been taking in and helping to process PPP loans for credit unions, and that was one of the requirements. Same with unemployment: if you are recalled to work, ya gotta go. If not, no more money. This wasn't geared to give people vacations.

Well... lucky for me I haven’t been called back yet. More “vacation time!”

It’s so silly... if you want to work your selfish for wanting the country to open up too soon.

If you don’t want to work your selfish for wanting a paid vacation. Can’t win!

ImperfectPixie

Same for husband, his coworker was just given a 3 day layoff for missing, coincidentally because he misses today and Tuesday he so won't get Holiday pay either. I've told husband he needs to report it, but fears violations and legal fees would close the business for good. Coupled with the general employee treatment that as always happened, it's caused a couple heated discussions about finding another job.
We've allowed corporations to treat humans like numbers for way too long. These companies wouldn't exist without the people working for them.

I've had MANY heated discussions with my husband. He installs floors, and we've discussed him joining the union many times before, too. This is the straw that broke the camel's back - quite literally as my husband's back is now trash thanks to this job and the boss' attitude that people are expendable. We're going to be having the union discussion yet again.

ImperfectPixie

It’s so silly... if you want to work your selfish for wanting the country to open up too soon.

It's not that my husband doesn't want to return to work. It's that he wants what was promised in writing.

RaveOnEd

I agree. It's one huge no-win for everyone. For me, I'd like to see things start to reopen, because I know people who are close to losing or have lost businesses because of this. It's the most heart-wrenching thing to see someone who's put everything (including heart and emotion) into a business they built from the ground up, that will go under because of all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom