Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’ve lived thru many hurricanes including the 04-05 season where it felt like never ending curfews and fuel limits... there is a huge difference between those events and this. They also didn’t force us from our homes. I lived in a mandatory evac zone, sometimes I evacuated, sometimes I didn’t.. no one came to my home to remove me. i just wouldn’t have had help if needed it... that was my decision to make.
Nobody is being forced from their home now either. Just non-essential businesses closed. Just like during a hurricane or occasionally during a major snow storm. You can stay during a hurricane but the local bar can’t stay open...legally.

Lilofan

I’ve lived thru many hurricanes including the 04-05 season where it felt like never ending curfews and fuel limits... there is a huge difference between those events and this. They also didn’t force us from our homes. I lived in a mandatory evac zone, sometimes I evacuated, sometimes I didn’t.. no one came to my home to remove me. i just wouldn’t have had help if needed it... that was my decision to make.
My friends lived through recent FL hurricanes. Governor Rick Scott of FL at the time said if you do not evacuate if you are living in a mandatory evacuation zone, you need to write your social security number on your arm, so it is easier to identify your body.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can’t believe this would be legal, state and national emergency or not.
It won’t happen. There’s a big difference between taking passengers from a cruise ship to a military base for quarantine and talking people from their homes. If someone wanted a place to go so their family didn’t get infected I could see that being setup but it would have to be voluntary.

21stamps

My friends lived through recent FL hurricanes. Governor Rick Scott of FL at the time said if you do not evacuate if you are living in a mandatory evacuation zone, you need to write your social security number on your arm, so it is easier to identify your body.

Right. See my words about “would not have help if needed it”. If you live in an evac area first responders will not come.

I have a friend who didn’t evacuate Key West during Irma.. I was furious with her and her husband... but they wanted to stay and help in the immediate aftermath l, because they knew not all residents would evacuate, and would need assistance. They were cleaning up and helping people right away. They weren’t the only ones, it was pretty amazing, but incredibly risky.

TrainsOfDisney

Nobody is being forced from their home now either. Just non-essential businesses closed. Just like during a hurricane or occasionally during a major snow storm. You can stay during a hurricane but the local bar can’t stay open...legally.

You’re trying to compare this to super unique situations. Disney doesn’t close as a business during a hurricane. Even if all of Florida is under a state of emergency, Disney continues to operate as normal making their own decisions on what is safe to open and not.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What does that mean though? Every business feels it is essential. So far from what I have read: Restaurants, bars, coffee shops are closed. Grocery stores, Walmarts, hospitals are open. What about regular old businesses that don't fall into those categorizations? The local gov't is providing absolutely no clarity.
PA published a list of every type of business and what is in and what is out. I imagine most states also would. Here’s the list:

Calmdownnow

Luckily here it has remained largely at the state level... but there are way too many Americans who are asking for federal mandates. That to me is extremely frightening, I don’t think they realize what they’re saying...but it’s concerning nonetheless.
The central theme of all effective emergency planning is command and control. Establish a command base that has a single controlling voice that analyses all available data and determines where the greatest vulnerability lies and/or where the application of resources can most affect ultimate outcomes. The second tier of command is logistics -- the application of resources through a command structure to deliver the resources to where they are most needed/and or most effective. Most nation states regard command and control as operating most effectively at the national level because if you apply it at the lower level, it is not effective -- you get substrata competing with each other for the deployment/purchase of resources, (in a Western economic model) this means prices rise and the richest "win" the procurement, poorer communities lose out. Many local governments have been great so far in stepping up, but they will shortly be competing with each other (if they aren't already) and that is why any country needs a central command and control mechanism to drive the response to this sort of emergency.

21stamps

They board their stores for protection for a limited set amount of time.
What does that mean though? Every business feels it is essential. So far from what I have read: Restaurants, bars, coffee shops are closed. Grocery stores, Walmarts, hospitals are open. What about regular old businesses that don't fall into those categorizations? The local gov't is providing absolutely no clarity.

Yeah, same here. I’ve been on the phone or in group chats since DeWine’s update earlier. We still have no idea where we stand, waiting for clarity. We won’t know until tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom