Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notes from Neverland

Corona virus scares me because our economy is mostly based off of WDW. The ramifications will last for years. I've been unemployed for 1.5 months, and I'm starting my new job at Disney this week. I don't know what I would do if the parks shut down. Though, I'm starting in custodial so maybe they will increase our hours to minimize any spreading in the parks.
Wishing you the best of luck. Hopefully nothing crazy happens. The people who cheer on moments like these (the opportunity to get stocks "on sale") sometimes forget that people may lose their jobs.

WDW862

Wishing you the best of luck. Hopefully nothing crazy happens. The people who cheer on moments like these (the opportunity to get stocks "on sale") sometimes forget that people may lose their jobs.

WDW has 60,000+ employees. I don't think people realize what this would do to Orlando and Lakeland. We were hit hard enough in 2008. Though luckily, I cashed out my Roth IRA (for education expenses) right before the crash.

A Noble Fish

Ah, but can you get back into the US without going through quarantine?
Yes. There are ZERO mandated quarantines from most infected countries (including Italy and South Korea). Please don't spread misinformation.

There is no way it will be contained as China has done. Reducing public gatherings (movie theaters, concerts, tourist attractions), changing habits like shaking hands, and self-quarantine WILL help, but it will not seriously stifle its spread as complete lockdowns have. Even quarantines aren't perfect since it can be spread for an enormous amount of time, but it does slow its spread which is key.

This isn't the plague and the people buying up everything they can are alarmists, but logically, the spread must be slowed to get
  1. A vaccine
  2. Prevent overcrowded hospitals
  3. Gain a further understanding of COVID-19's makeup (if it recurs as influenza and other coronaviruses do, 100,000's or even millions could die yearly in the United States)
  4. Minimize deaths and severe side-effects coming to light
  5. Minimize economic impacts (mostly due to quarantines, but will be further stifled if the virus runs amuck)
We don't know if it will survive the summer and that very unknown is why we need to treat it seriously.

This is entirely different than the nonsense that was Ebola fears (which if I remember correctly, partisans weaponized) if you've read up on non-partisan, legitimate readings about how the Virus is structured and spreads. I just hope this allows people to understand that the CDC should be properly funded to actually do its job, and people LISTEN to scientists, doctors, and believe in biology.

The current federal US response has been inadequate, and frankly, it's just disappointing. Corporations and citizens will do their part, but it's only so much, and it is exponentially spreading as we speak. Companies have done far more to stifle its spread. We've had months to learn more, and yet people still are acting like the US is invincible and will not be a problem here because we're 'special' due to some ideological, or misinformed irrational worldview.

I mean, we couldn't even get test kits right. Come on.

God, I love this country, but we have to stop separating fact from fiction especially with science, and this coronavirus is a threat that needs to be competently handled, but it's also not the end of the world like alarmists say. Logic, a steady hand, and smart moves are what will slow its spread. It is inevitable.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

The parks seemed busy but I did see a lot of reservations at the China pavilion. We had friends come and visit and always kind of last minute check for dining since they have a small child and their day is always volatile. China had open reservations for parties of 8 pretty much the whole day 😳

I hope things begin to level out personally because my wedding in Italy in May has become 100x more stressful than it already was.
The China restaurant is almost always open. Most of the time you can walk in and be seated immediately.

BoarderPhreak

Travelers to WDW should already be washing their hands often. Also, avoid touching your face (eyes/nose/mouth). Stick with that plan and you'll be fine.

The Mom

Premium Member
Yes. There are ZERO mandated quarantines from most infected countries (including Italy and South Korea), so you're completely and utterly wrong. Please don't spread misinformation.

There is no way it will be contained as China has done. Reducing public gatherings (movie theaters, concerts, tourist attractions), changing habits like shaking hands, and self-quarantine WILL help, but it will not seriously stifle its spread as complete lockdowns have. Even quarantines aren't perfect since it can be spread for an enormous amount of time, but it does slow its spread which is key.

This isn't the plague and the people buying up everything they can are alarmists, but logically, the spread must be slowed to get
  1. A vaccine
  2. Prevent overcrowded hospitals
  3. Gain a further understanding of COVID-19's makeup (if it recurs as influenza and other coronaviruses do, 100,000's or even millions could die yearly in the United States)
  4. Minimize deaths and severe side-effects coming to light
  5. Minimize economic impacts (mostly due to quarantines, but will be further stifled if the virus runs amuck)
We don't know if it will survive the summer and that very unknown is why we need to treat it seriously.

This is entirely different than the nonsense that was Ebola fears (which if I remember correctly, partisans weaponized) if you've read up on non-partisan, legitimate readings about how the Virus is structured and spreads. I just hope this allows people to understand that the CDC should be properly funded to actually do its job, and people LISTEN to scientists, doctors, and believe in biology.

The current federal US response has been inadequate, and frankly, it's just disappointing. Corporations and citizens will do their part, but it's only so much, and it is exponentially spreading as we speak. Companies have done far more to stifle its spread. We've had months to learn more, and yet people still are acting like the US is invincible and will not be a problem here because we're 'special' due to some ideological, or misinformed irrational worldview.

I mean, we couldn't even get test kits right. Come on.

God, I love this country, but we have to stop separating fact from fiction especially with science, and this coronavirus is a threat that needs to be competently handled, but it's also not the end of the world like alarmists say. Logic, a steady hand, and smart moves are what will slow its spread. It is inevitable.

I did not say that quarantines existed today. I was going to put a ;) after my comment, but I was afraid that people would interpret it as making light of a serious situation. But thank you for making it clear that I should have done so.

HauntedMansionFLA

Sometimes people try and ask questions and you get some that throw out sarcastic answers. It makes you guys look really immature and rude. Learn to respect people
Sorry. Call the WDW annual passholder number and explain that you are worried about the corona virus, how this might effect your AP and will there be compensation if they close the six parks down. The phone number is 407) 939-7277. That’s what I would do but as a AP holder, I’m not worried about it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Sometimes people try and ask questions and you get some that throw out sarcastic answers. It makes you guys look really immature and rude. Learn to respect people
There's nothing sarcastic about telling people to read the terms and conditions of a service they've purchased.

SplashJacket

It is exponentially more difficult to stop a disease from spreading within a countries borders than preventing it from arriving in the first place.

There are already enough cases in the U.S. that within time have the potential to increase exponentially without drastic measures.

Closed borders are not helpful if the virus is already found within.

The U.S. Government has shown no sign they are taking the situation seriously.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
It is exponentially more difficult to stop a disease from spreading within a countries borders than preventing it from arriving in the first place.

There are already enough cases in the U.S. that within time will spread to a significant number of individuals without drastic measures.

The U.S. Government has shown no sign they are taking the situation seriously.
I'm not disagreeing with your point. Washington state officials are surmising there's been about 6 weeks of unchecked spread and incubation within the state.

I am saying to not underestimate what the government might attempt to do, regardless of efficacy or common-sense analysis.

The Mom

Premium Member
Well then I apologize that I misinterpreted, but the facts still stand. Have a nice day haha!

But, on a serious note, who knows if there will be quarantines like the one we have for people returning from China in the future. So even though I said it tongue in cheek, I myself would not be planning a trip to Italy right now. Both because so many of the "sights" are closed, and I wouldn't want to risk being quarantined on my return.

lazyboy97o

Sorry. Call the WDW annual passholder number and explain that you are worried about the corona virus, how this might effect your AP and will there be compensation if they close the six parks down. The phone number is 407) 939-7277. That’s what I would do but as a AP holder, I’m not worried about it.
They are not going to know anything about the response to a hypothetical closure.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was also within 5 miles of there a week ago - still not worried.
Not exactly an amazing show of bravery, Mom 😂

I was on the observation deck of the World Trade Center in like 1997...
And I once cut line In front of two people wearing pin lanyards in ECVs at chef mickeys in the early 2000s. 😱

We all “tempt fate”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom