Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Excellent point.

Trying to think through this logically. If the actual criteria for opening is "any new spread that could happen in the parks will be minimal and won't embarrass the Disney name", could that realistically happen this year?
Yep, that’s exactly the thinking. Disney doesn’t want to be a first mover on this. They will likely wait to see what the rest of society is doing. If there are no large group gatherings for a period they won’t want to be the only one bucking that trend. If lots of similar things start popping back up and are open they will feel more confident opening. They can mitigate some of the risks by implementing some of the measures being used in the parks in China but it’s a different demographic so there are limits as to what people will accept.

Jrb1979

Yep, that’s exactly the thinking. Disney doesn’t want to be a first mover on this. They will likely wait to see what the rest of society is doing. If there are no large group gatherings for a period they won’t want to be the only one bucking that trend. If lots of similar things start popping back up and are open they will feel more confident opening. They can mitigate some of the risks by implementing some of the measures being used in the parks in China but it’s a different demographic so there are limits as to what people will accept.
The scary thing about the large gatherings happening is that almost all of them have been cancelled for the summer. A good sign would be when sporting events start allowing crowds again.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The scary thing about the large gatherings happening is that almost all of them have been cancelled for the summer. A good sign would be when sporting events start allowing crowds again.
The NFL is going to be a very interesting league to watch. That and college football. I can’t imagine football in an empty stadium. I lived through “the process” in Philly so I’ve seen a pro basketball game in a 3/4 empty arena;) It doesn’t look like NHL, NBA or MLB are going to have a season or playoffs with fans in the stands. Football starts in Sept. that’s not as far off as it seems.

electric

I see a lot of talk about possible temp checks at the parks which made me think of bag checks. How in the world are they gonna handle bag checks now? The spread of germs by one bag checker that touches thousands of bags in a morning has got to be insane

Polynesia

Shanghai is hot and humid too and they have no problem wearing masks.
Universal has made mention of requiring their team members to wear masks and voluntary for guests. I’m sure they’d be changing them out at their breaks. If they were cloth masks they could be washed each day. It might be more of a safety perception to their guests. The numbers have to support that the parks are reasonably safe. I think that’s the main criteria. According to the graphs it appears it will be by mid June in to July. I’d take advantage of that window and give it
Maybe some of them are watching to see what Disney does. Listening to the local news I’m getting a sense that Universal is pushing hard to reopen. I could be wrong. It’s just a feeling I get as I listen to their CEO speak and the questionaire that they sent out. I assume when Disney reopens so will Universal and Sea World.

Tazer19

Summerfest in Milwaukee featuring big name recording artists was moved from June to early September. Last year’s attendance was low at 718,000 people over 11 days. That event is super packed. It is held outside on the shores of Lake Michigan but the stage areas are body to body. Not sure how they’ll pull that off.

This had been out of my mind a bit. I forgot it got moved, rather than cancelled.

I could see them attempting to hold it using only the BMO or AMFAM stages with distanced seats, but even that would be tough when it comes to bathrooms, concessions and entering/exiting.

Regardless of where we are social distance-wise, I’m sure they are sweating a bit financially. One by one the other festivals on the grounds have completely canceled. They also stand to lose out on a lot of revenue if the DNC isn’t held in person, as I believe they had a number of functions scheduled there.

Prince-1

No one can say with absolute certainty that it’s not going to happen. What people say on here are merely their opinions.

Correct but we can see how things are going and realize that this is not getting any better anytime soon and add in the fact that besides severely limiting the amount of people in the parks they will have difficulties ensuring social distancing and keeping their guests safe. The worst case scenario which they are terrified of happening is having a very large number of people getting coronavirus from their parks. Theme parks will be the next cruise line industry that will be avoided for some time to come.

ImperfectPixie

Correct but we can see how things are going and realize that this is not getting any better anytime soon and add in the fact that besides severely limiting the amount of people in the parks they will have difficulties ensuring social distancing and keeping their guests safe. The worst case scenario which they are terrified of happening is having a very large number of people getting coronavirus from their parks. Theme parks will be the next cruise line industry that will be avoided for some time to come.
And what happens when some idiot decides they don't want to follow the rules? (Like the woman in the video who was arrested that was posted in the other thread.) That's a big concern I have.

rk03221

The NFL is going to be a very interesting league to watch. That and college football. I can’t imagine football in an empty stadium. I lived through “the process” in Philly so I’ve seen a pro basketball game in a 3/4 empty arena;) It doesn’t look like NHL, NBA or MLB are going to have a season or playoffs with fans in the stands. Football starts in Sept. that’s not as far off as it seems.

sports aren’t happening. If one player gets the virus it’s going to shutdown the league and it’s going to happen. I wouldn’t bet on it

Last edited:

Prince-1

And what happens when some idiot decides they don't want to follow the rules? (Like the woman in the video who was arrested that was posted in the other thread.) That's a big concern I have.

Which is why I don’t think they will be opening any time soon. There is no way to ensure the safety of their guests and Disney does not want nor need a PR nightmare like the cruise industry is currently experiencing.

sndral

Its why they will be putting measures in place to make people feel safe. I think masks are here to stay for awhile as well as physical distancing. I don't know why so many have a problem with it.
I’m in a part of CA where the beaches are still open but with mandated 6’ distancing, no grouping etc.. Based on my daily walks on my neighborhood beach I can report that many family and young adult ‘groups’ seem oblivious to the rules or think they don’t apply to their oh so special selves and they do not practice physical distancing. On the path along the ocean & on the beach I can usually get out of their way, but how do you do that at WDW? We all know WDW has more than its’ share of entitled ‘me first’ types, how do you keep someone from getting too close to you in a park? I’m told that at my former job one of the employees has taken to carrying a pool noodle around to keep people away from her - I’m envisioning Disney providing 6’ pool noodles for guests to use to delineate their social space.

ChrisRobin124

I’m in a part of CA where the beaches are still open but with mandated 6’ distancing, no grouping etc.. Based on my daily walks on my neighborhood beach I can report that many family and young adult ‘groups’ seem oblivious to the rules or think they don’t apply to their oh so special selves and they do not practice physical distancing. On the path along the ocean & on the beach I can usually get out of their way, but how do you do that at WDW? We all know WDW has more than its’ share of entitled ‘me first’ types, how do you keep someone from getting too close to you in a park? I’m told that at my former job one of the employees has taken to carrying a pool noodle around to keep people away from her - I’m envisioning Disney providing 6’ pool noodles for guests to use to delineate their social space.
When I first read this, I read groping instead of grouping. I need more coffee!

electric

Do what should have been done long back...... follow Universal and use conveyors, monitors, scanning.....airport style
That will take time to purchase and install those. I cant see that happening anytime soon. Also, cant those conveyor belts and other parts of those machines pick up the virus and spread it?

Polynesia

This had been out of my mind a bit. I forgot it got moved, rather than cancelled.

I could see them attempting to hold it using only the BMO or AMFAM stages with distanced seats, but even that would be tough when it comes to bathrooms, concessions and entering/exiting.

Regardless of where we are social distance-wise, I’m sure they are sweating a bit financially. One by one the other festivals on the grounds have completely canceled. They also stand to lose out on a lot of revenue if the DNC isn’t held in person, as I believe they had a number of functions scheduled there.
I had heard that some of the festivals pulled out. That is a huge hit for the city as they have always been so popular. I haven’t been in several years because of the parking nightmares. But they do out on the best firework display. I wonder if that is still on?

Lilofan

I've seen law enforcement enter the parks when there is a commotion. They do their best to bring the impacted parties to a isolated area away from prying eyes to conduct their investigation.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Universal furloughs will be automatically enrolled for unemployment in Florida.

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.04.20 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom