Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

If the criteria for opening is "we'll open when we are 100% confident that opening won't cause a hospital-overloading spread", then they could open next week.

If the criteria for opening is "we'll open when we are 100% confident that opening won't cause anyone to catch the virus in the park", then they won't open until a vaccine is readily available in late 2021.
Its why they will be putting measures in place to make people feel safe. I think masks are here to stay for awhile as well as physical distancing. I don't know why so many have a problem with it.

Disney Analyst

Well the national tour of Wicked has just cancelled all Canadian dates this summer. It was supposed to stop in cities across the country from July through September.

Polynesia

If the criteria for opening is "we'll open when we are 100% confident that opening won't cause a hospital-overloading spread", then they could open next week.

If the criteria for opening is "we'll open when we are 100% confident that opening won't cause anyone to catch the virus in the park", then they won't open until a vaccine is readily available in late 2021.
None of us really know for sure. But if you look to Shanghai and Hong Kong who are apparently getting their parks ready for reopening it might give us some clue what Disney is thinking. They’re reopening without a vaccine so one might be able to surmise from that the other Disney parks could do the same. I realize it’s a different country but they’re fighting the same virus.

Polynesia

Summerfest in Milwaukee featuring big name recording artists was moved from June to early September. Last year’s attendance was low at 718,000 people over 11 days. That event is super packed. It is held outside on the shores of Lake Michigan but the stage areas are body to body. Not sure how they’ll pull that off.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Its why they will be putting measures in place to make people feel safe. I think masks are here to stay for awhile as well as physical distancing. I don't know why so many have a problem with it.

My only problem is central Florida is not a Healthy place for the stresses of PPE. It never was nor will be.

What the media doesn’t point out - but I am trained in it - is PPE is designed to be limited in use....at least effective ppe is.

A bandana with rubber bands around it is not PPE. It may stop a sneeze, but is not meant as a prevention of biocontamination.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Summerfest in Milwaukee featuring big name recording artists was moved from June to early September. Last year’s attendance was low at 718,000 people over 11 days. That event is super packed. It is held outside on the shores of Lake Michigan but the stage areas are body to body. Not sure how they’ll pull that off.
It’s not going to happen...

Even if the response is better than anyone hopes...that environment won’t be permitted by any public official. Too risky.

wannabeBelle

My only problem is central Florida is not a Healthy place for the stresses of PPE. It never was nor will be.

What the media doesn’t point out - but I am trained in it - is PPE is designed to be limited in use....at least effect ppe is.

A bandana with rubber bands around it is not PPE. It may stop a sneeze, but is not meant as a prevention of biocontamination.
Good point. Others have pointed out that a regular mask probably wouldnt last long in the Florida humidity. I cant see these things holding up well at all, not to mention being uncomfortable. Thoughts? Marie

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good point. Others have pointed out that a regular mask probably wouldnt last long in the Florida humidity. I cant see these things holding up well at all, not to mention being uncomfortable. Thoughts? Marie
Masks/gloves/sanitization only work work when properly employed 100%

If it’s torn masks/ kids running out of the bathroom/rubbing the sweat off your homemade mask...it’s pointless.

It would be a headfake - like the bag checks in October 2001.

It doesn’t do anything. The difference is those bag checks are a deterrent. Masks would be more likely to create false comfort.

One person potentially looking for trouble is way different than everyone trying to feel “protected”.

Jrb1979

What the media doesn’t point out - but I am trained in it - is PPE is designed to be limited in use....at least effect ppe is.

Shanghai is hot and humid too and they have no problem wearing masks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I don’t think either of those things is the criteria, it’s somewhere in the middle. Nobody should be under the delusion that they won’t open unless they can be 100% confident that nobody would get sick. That’s shouldn‘t even really be a discussion. I believe the people saying “not this year” are mostly basing that on the fact that Disney parks are a large public gathering by nature and some people believe that there will not be a lifting on the ban on large public gatherings this year.

On the other extreme we have no way of knowing whether lifting all restrictions today would overload the hospital system. I said this in an earlier post, hospital capacity is not overrun today but we have eliminated almost all elective surgeries and dramatically reduced auto accidents due to few cars being on the road. Workplace injuries are also way down. When we start to open things up one of the first things that should come back is elective surgeries. There are probably many people who are being put at further risk by delaying stuff they really should be getting done. Naturally by opening businesses up we are going to see a return to traffic and all the negatives that go with it. When they start to slowly open things WDW should be on the back end of what opens so there is no guarantee that we won’t see issues with hospital shortages before we ever get to a phase 3 where things like WDW are open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom