Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HongKongFooy

I think if it is in July they may want to avoid a huge crowd in the first week.

Oh you mean because people have time off from work and children are out of school

I'm thinking "4th of July" will be August 9th, Sept. 17th or October 22 as far as people having available time to do a trip.

But I'm thinking by Christmas perhaps things will be somewhat back on calendar.

Disney Analyst

And what happens when some idiot decides they don't want to follow the rules? (Like the woman in the video who was arrested that was posted in the other thread.) That's a big concern I have.

They are exactly the problem. They are the reason we have to do these strict closures and shut downs. All they see ia their personal freedoms and refuse to look at the big picture.

They are the one who create the distrust with the GP which then necessitates these restrictions. If only they’d realize it’s due to people like them, who refuse to change their lives even a tiny bit during a pandemic.

I’m also reading that entire group of ladies were in that park to try and cause a stir. It was organized by some well-known anti-vaxxer.

Can humans stop sucking?!?

SteveV

When the parks reopen, what supporting structures do they need in place outside of the bubble?
For example, I know that in the uk if a soccer match is expecting an attendance of more than 5000 people, there must be an ambulance and 50 police officers on duty. Do the parks need anything similar from health or law and order? That could clearly affect park reopening if they do need something.

Also, what about their supply chains? Again, I am aware in the uk that stadiums, clubs and some (small) local theme parks have donated food and supplies to those who need them. So, taking a slightly facetious example, how long will it take them to restock the ponchos that were donated as ppe? what about the food for the restaurants etc?

And then a big one for over here in the uk again, if people are going to be required to wear masks, then are there going to be enough masks available to divert away from essential need to Tourist visiting theme park needs?

Finally, are we going to have social distancing squares all over the park, like a giant chess board, so that your party will only be able to occupy a square that has nobody in the next square to it? That will make visiting the parks even more like a giant game of chess to get all FPs, DRs etc to fit in with plans.... ‘right I’m at the 60 day window, I now not only need to book the FP for ToT but also the route that I am going to take to walk from the car park to the ride...’ (booking the route is now an upcharge event as it’s a fun game to play for all the family - Disney’s Isolation Pathways Game)

I am joking but how do people think getting around the parks is actually going to work at reopening?a certain length of time in a land and then move onto the next land along designated pathways?

monykalyn

Do you mean Al you Minnie yum?
How are you and your wife doing? Recovered fully?
I think masks are here to stay for awhile as well as physical distancing. I don't know why so many have a problem with it.
I don’t think most have an issue short term, but it’s just impractical to force on a daily long term basis if you spend majority of time outside. For cities- what about homeless? Those low income who are already struggling- now need to have supply of masks AND ability to effectively clean DAILY. What to do with used masks? Going to train more in biohazard removal? There’s a LOT more to the actual day to day practicalities for everyone than “don’t be selfish and wear a mask”. Haven’t even gottten to wearing them in park environment
Who will see your manicured nails and colored & styled hair these days?
What's the urgency to go do those things right now?
I am sympathetic to the business impact of those that own/work them.
yes it’s a mental health-self care thing. I’ve been going to my stylist for ten years, her and her cousin have worked hard to have a good business providing a decent income for themselves. I hope they are able to come through this. It’s small businesses like this that will be really hard hit. I’ve done my own nails for years though except occasional pedicure.
Whitmer said people with multiple in-state homes can resume traveling between them, though it is strongly discouraged."
yeah a lot of these she should have just allowed from beginning. It made zero sense to allow a kayak but a small fishing trawler with a motor that only holds one or two people was banned. And the second home people pay a lot in property taxes so I’m sure she got an earful about that. It made zero sense to squeeze people into a smaller store footprint because heaven forbid you wanted some new underwear!

I expect at least through end of May before nonessential business open here (MO) but who really knows. Our local amusement Park Silver Dollar City is hoping for a May opening but we will see. Branson is heavily dependent on tourism and I fear the recession coming will severely hurt the area. OTOH it’s a park that could pretty easily do distancing and you’ve got to be fairly fit to traverse the park (HUGE hill to climb to get out of park- the only flat areas are show buildings lol)

hopemax

I've posted about the Seattle epidemiologist Twitter guy in the past, so I thought I would post his take on the New York serological results from yesterday. https://twitter.com/trvrb

He finds them a plausible starting point. If 21% of the NYC population of 8.4 million people have been infected, that would translate into 1.76 million infections. As of the time of his post, NYC was reporting 145,000 confirmed cases. Which would translate into a reporting ratio of about ~12 times (not the CA study ratios of 28-55 or the 55-80 times). Accounting for excess deaths, 17,200 predicted deaths and with 1.76 million predicted infections, gives an IFR of about 1%. He also notes that some of the active cases will resolve into deaths, bumping the IFR up a touch. And that many factors go into accounting for a local IFR.

He also mentioned that given an IFR of 1% and R0 of 3, this would translate into about 80 times worse than a typical flu season, with unmitigated spread (we have obviously mitigated). If IFR was .5% and R0 of 2 that would translate into 25X a typical flu season.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
If I was a betting man I’d start with 7/5

But I’m not. And why do you yanks put the date and month the wrong way round?!

I'm a yank and I'm with you on this one. Day/month/year is more logical.

Alooomin um.

Aluminium is just wrong however. Completely wrong. I don't know how we haven't completely taken over the proper spelling and pronunciation.

robhedin

Varisty Cheer is holding their big competition June19-22 in Disney. Not sure if that was discussed here yet.

I don't think this is correct any longer-- Varsity announced today they've cancelled all events through 30 June: https://www.varsity.com/health-update/

The USASFC Cheerleading Worlds is deciding today (but haven't announced anything that I've seen) if they are going to hold the event at the end of June: https://hub.usasf.net/covid19-worlds-update based on the above, I'd expect them to cancel as well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah there has been a lot of reposting of one analysts thoughts. I would be willing to bet he is going to be wrong in his assesment.
I agree with this. I said when this was first posted that I didn’t think the guy was even trying to predict when the parks open he was just being conservative and assuming in his model that they wouldn’t generate much profit if any for the remainder of the year. If the parks open some time this summer under some form of alternate experience like the ones being thrown around here and other places it’s hard to imagine they will be anywhere close to as profitable as they once were for some time.

lilypgirl

I don't think this is correct any longer-- Varsity announced today they've cancelled all events through 30 June: https://www.varsity.com/health-update/

The USASFC Cheerleading Worlds is deciding today (but haven't announced anything that I've seen) if they are going to hold the event at the end of June: https://hub.usasf.net/covid19-worlds-update based on the above, I'd expect them to cancel as well.

Those cancellations were for the #All Star Strong competitions. Also Varsity is different from USASF.

“An update regarding The Summit Championships was sent out to Gym Owners and Coaches. Out of respect for programs and their ability to communicate with their teams, this page will be updated with more information early next week.”

I have the email sent to gym owners today! I will share if that’s allowed.

DCBaker

Premium Member

USASF has apparently cancelled Worlds (a letter sent to Gym owners/coaches yesterday, but it was posted on-line before officially announced).

Club Cooloholic

USASF has apparently cancelled Worlds (apparently a letter sent to Gym owners/coaches, but it was posted on-line before officially announced).

I was thinking. How could the girls had been ready and practicing. Didn't seem fair to consider holding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom