Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giss Neric

I can't believe that our country with a population of 330 million will nearly have 1 million confirmed cases.

I know China is lying as hell but let's look at India who has a billion population yet they only have 23,000+ confirmed cases.

ohioguy

I can't believe that our country with a population of 330 million will nearly have 1 million confirmed cases.

I know China is lying as hell but let's look at India who has a billion population yet they only have 23,000+ confirmed cases.

Are you implying that the state governments are lying? I assure you they are not. If anything the number is low because of the lack of testing. I believe India was late to the game, but they have enforced a strict shutdown based on science and not economics. China is lying.

Bartattack

This isn’t very good news :(
Sucks for her but I hope that’s just a one off and not normal.

we had a more positive story about this, this morning:
An 40 year old infected person (with the virus 25 days in his body and 14 days on a ventilator... in a pretty bad and critical condition was treated with the plasma of one of their doctors (who already conquered corona) and the results were remarkable. After 2 days he didn't need the ventilator anymore and in the meantime he has already left ICU for a normal room.

(sorry, it's in dutch)

Rich Brownn

I'm just gonna say it: the chances of having a vaccine for Covid-19 are about the same as discovering bigfoot. The fact that we've been through thousands of years of evolution and research and still haven't been able to find a cure for the common cold, which is caused by the same family of viruses as Covid-19, should give pause.

If scientists admit that it will take decades to get a vaccine for Covid-19, and therefore have to live under economic lockdown for generations, nobody will trust or listen to them anymore.

I think every business big or small currently closed because of the pandemic should just file for bankruptcy because they're probably doomed to die anyway.
There's no such thing as the "common cold" Its actually hundreds of different viruses all mutating. While its technically possible to create a vaccine for all of them, its not really economically viable. Since none of them are life-threatening there's no reason to pursue them.

Covid-19, however, is a specific virus and producing a vaccine for it is extremely likely. The only concern is how it mutates. If it mutates like the measles, one shot should give immunity for a long period. If it mutates like the flu, a yearly vaccine will be necessary.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
US Tests: 4,775,625
India Tests: 541,789
China: N/A
worldometers.info
Doing a little math: India is roughly 4 times the population size of the US so they would need to complete roughly 40 times the number of tests they currently have to get to an equivalent per capita rate as the US. Assuming the positive rate stays the same (big assumption) that’s 23,000 X 40 which is 920,000 positive. About right where the US is.

HongKongFooy

Who will see your manicured nails and colored & styled hair these days?
What's the urgency to go do those things right now?

You're not going to a wedding; there's no graduation party to attend; going out for a date.....really, where? Is it that important to go to Costco with fixed up hair and nails especially since half the people in the place are covered up in makeshift getups and Dr Giggles and Twighlight Zone surgeon masks.

I guess if you're a model doing a photo shoot or one who makes a living in front of a camera I can see it. But others, hmmmmm??

zengoth

You're not going to a wedding; there's no graduation party to attend; going out for a date.....really, where? Is it that important to go to Costco with fixed up hair and nails especially since half the people in the place are covered up in makeshift getups and Dr Giggles and Twighlight Zone surgeon masks.

I guess if you're a model doing a photo shoot or one who makes a living in front of a camera I can see it. But others, hmmmmm??
I can’t believe i’m stepping in this but i will assume some folks want to feel good, feel “normal” during these times and include this as a form of both self care and mental health.

On the other side, some folks should look into learning how to do these things on their own in order to be safe at home.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think in the case of SARS and MERS, the virus largely died out before a vaccine could be created. Money was there and quickly vanished.

I don't think that's going to be the case this time around with COVID-19.
I think there is a big lesson to be learned with what happened with SARS and MERS. Research into a vaccine continued on those, but it lost a lot of the financial backing because of the lack of threat. There was still some international funding of the research but it became academic vs commercial. Big pharma isn’t in business to develop a vaccine you can’t sell. Looking back in hindsight the world governments should have continued heavily funding the research. If they had we may have been able to streamline an approach for this new virus. I did see there was an Israeli company that was still working with MERS and they were close to a vaccine but not finished. I think we will see a bigger investment going forward into treatments and vaccines. That’s at least something good coming out of all this misery.

we had a more positive story about this, this morning:
An 40 year old infected person (with the virus 25 days in his body and 14 days on a ventilator... in a pretty bad and critical condition was treated with the plasma of one of their doctors (who already conquered corona) and the results were remarkable. After 2 days he didn't need the ventilator anymore and in the meantime he has already left ICU for a normal room.

(sorry, it's in dutch)
Thanks for spreading some good news :) Thats very promising. I also read that some researchers in China have been able to synthetically create the anti-bodies so maybe if that treatment continues with a high success rate it can really help to make this a much less serious problem. If you can’t vaccinate people the next best thing is an effective treatment.

solidyne

I don't have much hair, and happily trim my own nails, but for many people, getting hair and nails done is part of a routine. A way to feel good about themselves, a way to socialize. People who miss that service and people who want to get back to offering it really don't want to be yelled at are probably sick of being told that they'll kill people if they do it.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Got distracted for a bit. I have collaborated with one of the world's experts in vaccines and a week ago we had a conversation via new fangled electronic mail about the viability of a vaccine. Here is his reply to my initial query which I only made because I no longer worry about appearing stupid. Anyway, I figured since there was a lot of babble about vaccine likelihood there may be some interest -

"Hi George,

Thanks for reaching out. The short answer is no - there are plenty of diseases for which we do not have an effective vaccine. The most prominent examples are HIV (in spite of > 30 years of research and billions of $$ spent), malaria and tuberculosis. There are also examples of respiratory viral infections such as respiratory syncytial virus. We do not know a lot about SARS-C0V2, the cause of COVID-19, and how it causes disease, which makes it challenging. There is conflicting information about the immunity generated by a natural infection, but it appears to be fairly short lasting similar to coronaviruses that cause the common cold. The vaccine therefore needs to induce a better immune response than a natural infection and be safe. There is no guarantee that this will work, but there are over 50 efforts with different strategies so hopefully one or more will be successful.

Stay safe and healthy,

Best,

Harm"

Giss Neric

Doing a little math: India is roughly 4 times the population size of the US so they would need to complete roughly 40 times the number of tests they currently have to get to an equivalent per capita rate as the US. Assuming the positive rate stays the same (big assumption) that’s 23,000 X 40 which is 920,000 positive. About right where the US is.
India is not US though. Majority lives in poverty. They have no choice but to stay home. They might have a better lockdown system. Maybe their citizens are not as stubborn or entitled as our citizens and really follows what the government says. Lots of factor to consider.

DisneyDebRob

I can’t believe i’m stepping in this but i will assume some folks want to feel good, feel “normal” during these times and include this as a form of both self care and mental health.

On the other side, some folks should look into learning how to do these things on their own in order to be safe at home.
I mentioned before that my wife has cut my hair and I won’t be going back to the barber ever again. There’s a savings. Now, she just did her nails for the first time and she loves it. Looks like when things are back to normal we will be saving 50 or so bucks a month. The things you can learn when stuck at home. 🙂

Polynesia

Did Disney confirm and opening date yet? Just thought I would ask! 🥴
Shanghai Disney appears to be getting ready for an imminent opening. They’ve been rehearsing their parades and shows and are marking their ques for social distancing. Hong Kong appears to be not too far behind them. Tokyo Disney mentioned May but that seems a bit optimistic as they’re in the midst of their cases with their health systems being overwhelmed ( saw that information on tv). Disneyland may have stricter rules because California isn’t easing up as fast as other states. Florida sounds optimistic to get things going but they are following the phased guidelines. Some people are very pessimist saying January 2021. Others are more optimistic saying June 1. I’ve also read rumors of June 14. I suspect the reality is some where in the middle. When cast members start getting called back will be a true indication of what’s happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom