Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

Indeed, but comparing the amount of interactions that a waiter/waitress would have over a shift is far outweighed by the interactions a cashier at a store has during their shift.

Granted, the waiter/waitress would have an overall longer interaction with a table that is there for an hour, but the interactions are brief (taking orders, bringing refills, food, etc). The cashier would have dozens of interactions per hour, each one being just as long as the individual interactions of the waiter, but still exposed to many more people per hour who could potentially be Ill.

And please don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to be argumentative or demanding that all businesses should be open. Just offering a counterpoint and curious to see how other people feel about it.
The bold is the danger. Customers can't be sitting near each other for an hour, with people talking and eating and spreading their spittle around. That is the circumstance where people get infected. When people talk about solutions, they just say, "Cut the number of tables, spread them out!" As if the margins for restaurants to be profitable, allows them the luxury of cutting the number of tables in half and still be able to remain in business. We still don't have a clear understanding of how far people have to be from each other, if they are going to be in a room together for an hour.

In order for restaurants to function they need their tables full. In order for customers to be safe, the tables need to be mostly empty and spread far apart. It's not a workable situation.

An interesting situation I've noticed when I have gone shopping during this...it's so quiet. That might be part of why grocery store spread hasn't been an issue. People aren't loitering and they are keeping their mouths shut.

lazyboy97o

The fertility thing has already been research a month or two ago and I believe they found it didn't have any effect.
It is far too early to claim there are no long term effects.

Indeed, but comparing the amount of interactions that a waiter/waitress would have over a shift is far outweighed by the interactions a cashier at a store has during their shift.

Granted, the waiter/waitress would have an overall longer interaction with a table that is there for an hour, but the interactions are brief (taking orders, bringing refills, food, etc). The cashier would have dozens of interactions per hour, each one being just as long as the individual interactions of the waiter, but still exposed to many more people per hour who could potentially be Ill.

And please don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to be argumentative or demanding that all businesses should be open. Just offering a counterpoint and curious to see how other people feel about it.
It is not just the employees you have to look at but also the customers. Yes, a cashier is dealing with many people but those customers cannot first go sit in a restaurant so their potential interactions has been reduced.

wannabeBelle

An interesting situation I've noticed when I have gone shopping during this...it's so quiet. That might be part of why grocery store spread hasn't been an issue. People aren't loitering and they are keeping their mouths shut.
Not at all true in my area. The stores are crazy, people are on top of each other, I have seen entire families including children, some without any face masks, going out to go food shopping, including an infant in a car seat!!!! Seriously?? Folks this is not the normal Sunday afternoon outing for the family. People need to get what they came in the store for and leave, not browse around like they havent ever been in the store before. It was a bit stressful for me honestly. After that I have been going to a local deli type of store that carries most staples. It is worth it to me to not have to deal with the crowds at some of the larger stores in the area. Marie

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
is not just the employees you have to look at but also the customers. Yes, a cashier is dealing with many people but those customers cannot first go sit in a restaurant so their potential interactions has been reduced.
I think this is where common sense comes into play. If a couple plans to dine at a local restaurant, they shouldn't be going to the grocery store before or after. But common sense is lost on many and you have a valid point in regards to less overall interactions.

hopemax

Not at all true in my area. The stores are crazy, people are on top of each other, I have seen entire families including children, some without any face masks, going out to go food shopping, including an infant in a car seat!!!! Seriously?? Folks this is not the normal Sunday afternoon outing for the family. People need to get what they came in the store for and leave, not browse around like they havent ever been in the store before. It was a bit stressful for me honestly. After that I have been going to a local deli type of store that carries most staples. It is worth it to me to not have to deal with the crowds at some of the larger stores in the area. Marie
Yeah, luckily that hasn't been the case here. I've been trying to shop on off hours, which has helped. Also, I am in Colorado, and we have had a snowy March/April. Every time it starts snowing hard, I'm like, "I'm going to the Grocery Store / Costco." It has worked out pretty well. Except, I am really sick of snow.

ImperfectPixie

Another thing about hospitals that was brought up at the MA governor's update today is that people are either choosing not to go to the hospital at all or delaying going to the hospital...when they shouldn't be. So while they're seeing less than the usual numbers of heart attack and stroke patients, those patients that do go to the hospital are in far worse condition than normal because they waited for days, rather than seeking help sooner. They were basically begging people to go to the hospital if they felt they needed medical care.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Another thing about hospitals that was brought up at the MA governor's update today is that people are either choosing not to go to the hospital at all or delaying going to the hospital...when they shouldn't be. So while they're seeing less than the usual numbers of heart attack and stroke patients, those patients that do go to the hospital are in far worse condition than normal because they waited for days, rather than seeking help sooner. They were basically begging people to go to the hospital if they felt they needed medical care.
Same in my area...

There’s a “learning curve” that can’t be avoided. Nobody wants to go to the hospital for fear of virus...some need to or something else will get them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyDebRob

The bold is the danger. Customers can't be sitting near each other for an hour, with people talking and eating and spreading their spittle around. That is the circumstance where people get infected. When people talk about solutions, they just say, "Cut the number of tables, spread them out!" As if the margins for restaurants to be profitable, allows them the luxury of cutting the number of tables in half and still be able to remain in business. We still don't have a clear understanding of how far people have to be from each other, if they are going to be in a room together for an hour.

In order for restaurants to function they need their tables full. In order for customers to be safe, the tables need to be mostly empty and spread far apart. It's not a workable situation.

You gave me a laugh with “ spittle”.😃 Haven’t heard that word in years!

Lilofan

I get that it's worse for someone to wait until it's too late to go the hospital but there is another side to the story of hospitals begging people to go for care. Hospitals are a profit making business too and not surprising some of their income generating business has gone down when people stop going for care.

rk03221

I'm thinking it may just be best to cancel, yet again, our now August 28-September 12 trip. I can't see this working at at this point. And even if we can go, I'm not sure it will be worth it.

Maybe postpone until next year? Wait it out and see what happens? No idea what to do. I was originally supposed to be leaving tomorrow for our dream vacation back home :(

my wife and I were supposed togo to DLP/Paris for our honeymoon at the end of august...we were hopeful but we are prepared to cancel. It sucks

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
my wife and I were supposed togo to DLP/Paris for our honeymoon...we were hopeful but we are prepared to cancel. It sucks
I hope you get that trip at some point...

My absolute favorite city/area on this space rock...

Hope to be there 8/2021...but I’m already assessing whether it will be under the conditions that will be worth it now??

Incomudro

No...it depended on fairly common human movement and interaction patterns and recirculated HVAC...

It was meant to represent and hour in normal restaurant setting

It has to depend on the outing.
I can go out for a bike ride through the woods and have zero interaction with anyone.
Or, I can ride a NYC subway train during rush hour,

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

I don't believe "spittle" is any concern unless it's an infant spitting their food up. And People spit when they talk so it's not any different than people speaking in a store.

Not sure where you live but in my area the grocery stores are far from "quiet". It's not a rip roaring party scene either, but most of the time there are lines at the few registers open and self checkout is hardly ever walk right up.

In the end a legitimate argument could be made for either side. there has to be a state or two that is willing to ease restrictions and see what happens otherwise we'll just all be living in fear and staying in our homes for god-knows-how-long. I personally don't foresee that if a few businesses open up and there are problems that there will be major spikes and hundreds of thousands of people will die, especially considering that the recovery rate is extremely high with the exception of a small group (elderly, pre-existing conditions).

Incomudro

For the record, I've always treated almost any trip to a store - particularly a grocery store - almost exactly as we do now, minus the mask.
Make a list, stick to it and get out.
I actually make a list of the items I need in the order that they occur in the store, so that I don't have to back track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom