Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It has to depend on the outing.
I can go out for a bike ride through the woods and have zero interaction with anyone.
Or, I can ride a NYC subway train during rush hour,
The difference in your misleading analogy is nyc subways and bike rides in Yosemite are not COMMON occurrences...

Are restaurants? For a vast majority of 8 billion people on the planet?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I watch them a lot. I don't think they ever said Disney was going bankrupt but they aren't in great financial shape either.
Disney has lost 2/3 of its stock value in every major recession since becoming large (30+ years)...

So that puts it around $55 bucks at the low point?

Fundamentally investors are all talk and don’t move the needle...they need common people to have money to drive the money into their coffers. Longterm recessions strangle that off.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Kevin_W

Another thing about hospitals that was brought up at the MA governor's update today is that people are either choosing not to go to the hospital at all or delaying going to the hospital...when they shouldn't be. So while they're seeing less than the usual numbers of heart attack and stroke patients, those patients that do go to the hospital are in far worse condition than normal because they waited for days, rather than seeking help sooner. They were basically begging people to go to the hospital if they felt they needed medical care.

That is a concern. There are also a certain number of people who will die from breast or colon cancer because they didn't get a mammogram/colonoscopy. Hopefully that number is small.

Slpy3270

I'm just gonna say it: the chances of having a vaccine for Covid-19 are about the same as discovering bigfoot. The fact that we've been through thousands of years of evolution and research and still haven't been able to find a cure for the common cold, which is caused by the same family of viruses as Covid-19, should give pause.

If scientists admit that it will take decades to get a vaccine for Covid-19, and therefore have to live under economic lockdown for generations, nobody will trust or listen to them anymore.

I think every business big or small currently closed because of the pandemic should just file for bankruptcy because they're probably doomed to die anyway.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm just gonna say it: the chances of having a vaccine for Covid-19 are about the same as discovering bigfoot. The fact that we've been through thousands of years of evolution and research and still haven't been able to find a cure for the common cold, which is caused by the same family of viruses as Covid-19, should give pause.

If scientists admit that it will take decades to get a vaccine for Covid-19, and therefore have to live under economic lockdown for generations, nobody will trust or listen to them anymore.

I think every business big or small currently closed because of the pandemic should just file for bankruptcy because they're probably doomed to die anyway.
The common cold is actually a series of 150 to 200 different viruses.

Phil12

Pretty much all of fatalities have had some sort of underlying condition. 😥
Yes, and that's a heck of a lot of people:

1587694459813.png

DCBaker

Premium Member
From the Chair of New York City Council health committee -

"NYC Health Dept has sent alert to all medical providers advising *not* to use anti-body tests to diagnose prior covid infection nor to assess immunity. This is due to high rate of false negatives/positives and uncertainty about how immunity works"

See PDF linked below -

In his tweet thread, he does go on to say -

"Anti-body tests do, however, remain extremely useful to determine whether volunteers can donate plasma to patients still battling covid."

"Bottom line: There is some irrational exuberance on antibody tests. They are useful for tracking trends in the general population, but should *not* be used to make personal health decisions."

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

And Covid-19 could very much work the same way since there's evidence of different strains of viruses, so my point still stands.
No, not the same. There is absolutely no evidence that non-coronaviruses also cause COVID-19. Rhinoviruses are the most prevalent cause of the common cold and are not coronaviruses. Different strains of a virus is nowhere near similar to completely different types of viruses.

celluloid

The biggest problem would be if we do not learn the main

And man was not meant to fly!

But in reality, if the vaccine is never found, it will still eventually get better. This is a new discovery of this level that we have not had in a long time. Treatment gets better by the day, it is never as fast as we want, because we care about lives and we panic as a species when people get ill and die(and we should be sorrowful for those who lost loved ones, but not panic)
It may even help us understand much more for something bigger or help us treat a lot of other things that we never thought about treating the same way before. It does not have to be the doom and gloom just because one way it could happen may never.

monykalyn

Maybe missed this being posted but preliminary results out for New York State antibody testing. 3000 tests done. 13.9% positive for antibodies. If these numbers hold, mortality rate would be below 1%.
every (small for now) study is showing higher antibody levels. Even Germany who did everything “right” and they are just starting the testing. Even with the questionable accuracy this is pretty interesting.
tial travel and businesses open and bring back elective surgeries some of the excess hospital capacity will be eaten up
yes I’m sure those furloughed healthcare workers will be glad to get back to work. I read transplant patients are waiting longer now too. My daughter stubbier her toe walking outside barefoot- big toe ended up with infection. Called ahead to urgent care to see what precautions we should take coming in as usually urgent care is pretty busy- nope - walked right in and back to a room. My friend who’s a home health nurse went from being a salaried employee before this to the company paying per visit instead- and she’s lucky to get 6 visits a week- that would be average for a DAY before. There’s a ton of people in this middle invisible area and the economic impact is going to hurt badly a long time. It’s easy to say “oh the economy will recover” when the reality is a daily struggle for years on a personal level.
I actually make a list of the items I need in the order that they occur in the store, so that I don't have to back track
I do too! I despise shopping anyway, and hate wasting time on it (lol) so meals are planned out, coupons/fuel points calculated etc. It’s why I have a garden and fruit trees, and backyard chickens to supply eggs :). Glad to know I’m not the only one who does this
This isn’t very good news :(
Sucks for her but I hope that’s just a one off and not normal.

Doesn’t mean she isn’t immune. immunity is more complicated and the cells responsible for the battle probably have a “memory blueprint” to run off of if come in contact again.
IF the antibody tests hold true wonder how much actual restrictive social distancing etc will actually be implemented/needed in a couple months. Way to early to know but way to pass time speculating- like maybe does Disney hold off a couple more months if there’s a possibility won’t need such strict measures by then? Fall DCP is still on schedule for August arrivals...and selfishly I’m hoping things are somewhat normal by then. My soon to be UCF student is excited about the fall and going away to college and I hope she still can get whole college experience.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And Covid-19 could very much work the same way since there's evidence of different strains of viruses, so my point still stands.
We have no way of knowing if they will be able to develop a vaccine. Only time will tell.

Only about 15 to 20% of common colds come from coronaviruses. The rest are rhinovirus or other types of bugs. There are currently only 7 known types of coronavirus the current one, SARS and MERS are more severe. The other 4 are mild and considered just a cold. None have a working vaccine but I’m not sure anyone has put in a lot of effort to develop one. Just throwing some facts out there.

Kevin_W

"Bottom line: There is some irrational exuberance on antibody tests. They are useful for tracking trends in the general population, but should *not* be used to make personal health decisions."

Alan Greenspan made the term "irrational exuberance" popular, but I'm not sure that's what's going on here. tracking trends in the general population is exactly what we need.

Last edited:

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
We have no way of knowing if they will be able to develop a vaccine. Only time will tell.

Only about 15 to 20% of common colds come from coronaviruses. The rest are rhinovirus or other types of bugs. There are currently only 7 known types of coronavirus the current one, SARS and MERS are more severe. The other 4 are mild and considered just a cold. None have a working vaccine but I’m not sure anyone has put in a lot of effort to develop one. Just throwing some facts out there.

I think in the case of SARS and MERS, the virus largely died out before a vaccine could be created. Money was there and quickly vanished.

I don't think that's going to be the case this time around with COVID-19.

lazyboy97o

I think in the case of SARS and MERS, the virus largely died out before a vaccine could be created. Money was there and quickly vanished.

I don't think that's going to be the case this time around with COVID-19.
Money and desire are not the only hurdles. There are other viruses for which a vaccine has long been sought. Others took decades to develop. Almost every day there seems to be a new story about SARS-CoV-2 causing something weird and unexpected which could carry forward with a vaccine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom