Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polynesia

Illinois extending stay-at-home order until the end of May.

"Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker today announced he is extending the nearly five-week-old stay-at-home order through the end of May, reopening some state parks and requiring masks be worn in places where social distancing isn’t possible.

The governor also made some changes to the order, allowing some businesses to reopen, such as nurseries and garden centers, and non-essential retail stores to open for online orders or curbside pickup beginning May 1. But he largely ordered other businesses to remain closed to the walk-in public, including restaurants. "

Too bad they don’t stay at home. Northern Wisconsin is having an issue with Illinois summer home owners now flooding the area. It’s causing some controversy since Illinois is more of a hot spot than the sleepy northern Wisconsin lake communities.

Slpy3270

It's entirely plausible that TV and movie production will be shut down for the remainder of the year for reasons beyond Covid.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That seems quite reasonable.

In my state (Ohio) there have been 296 hospitalizations in the past week, 110 in the past 4 days. Not including the temp. hospitals set up, we have >14,000 beds in the state. Friends of mine that work in hospitals say capacity is far far from an issue.
Beds are not the main issue it’s equipment and most importantly staff. it’s far from an issue right now because we have next to no one on the roads and no elective surgeries. If we continue those 2 variables then yes, we would have far more capacity than needed and we could even afford to increase Covid cases in some places. How long can we ask people to put off elective surgeries. That’s also a large part of the economy. Healthcare was one of the top 5 fields with unemployment claims. You can’t open other businesses but keep people off the roads. That won’t happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

flynnibus

Premium Member
My personal opinion, based on some new data and research coming out, on social distancing is that it is only minimally effective. Disney simply has no way to effectively institute social distancing. Sure they can make people sit 3 seats apart in a theater but they will still be packed into a line somewhere waiting to get IN the theater, waiting to get into the park, etc. Only way they can even remotely try to do it is to severely limit how many people can even be in the park, which at that point why bother opening unless it's just to get back up to speed for a week or two.

I already gave one alternative that addresses your concerns... Tour Groups. And charge up the nose for them.

So I wouldn't say there is 'no way' - its a question of are there ways they want to actually live with?

Incomudro

I think a good way to look at it is we need to keep the level of Covid-19 hospital cases about constant and down in some areas. This way if the excess capacity is taken up by those other factors you can effectively stay below 100% full. Assuming we have peaked and the total number of cases is dropping then it makes sense that the number hospitalized would drop. You turn the faucet on at a slow drip and wait to see the result. If we still aren’t overrun, turn it on more. Eventually we may need to pull back some too. Its all about managing to an acceptable case level. If we had a larger capacity of hospital rooms like a place like Sweden then we would have more wiggle room to loosen things up faster.

This is why the mortality rate and even the total number of cases is less relevant. If a bunch of people were sick and asymptomatic or just sheltered at home they didn’t impact the hospital systems. The number that matters is total number of people hospitalized which we actually have. That should drive policy more than anything else.

My thoughts exactly.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The issue is not just the cleanliness of the locations themselves. The bigger point is to limit personal interactions, especially those over a longer period of time.
Indeed, but comparing the amount of interactions that a waiter/waitress would have over a shift is far outweighed by the interactions a cashier at a store has during their shift.

Granted, the waiter/waitress would have an overall longer interaction with a table that is there for an hour, but the interactions are brief (taking orders, bringing refills, food, etc). The cashier would have dozens of interactions per hour, each one being just as long as the individual interactions of the waiter, but still exposed to many more people per hour who could potentially be Ill.

And please don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to be argumentative or demanding that all businesses should be open. Just offering a counterpoint and curious to see how other people feel about it.

Slpy3270

Rescue Ranger

I'm thinking it may just be best to cancel, yet again, our now August 28-September 12 trip. I can't see this working at at this point. And even if we can go, I'm not sure it will be worth it.

Maybe postpone until next year? Wait it out and see what happens? No idea what to do. I was originally supposed to be leaving tomorrow for our dream vacation back home :(

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
No. It depends on the science and the research. Do you really want to dismiss this insight because it comes from Chinese researchers?
Are you implying that we should take China (or any nation) for their word simply because they did a study? Considering that the science and research that have previously been put out have been far from accurate , why would anybody want to instantly assume any study was 100% correct?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Don't know what this is about but apparently shareholders of Disney are feeling they've been screwed.

Wonder if it has to do with circumstances around Iger snap decision resignation (If you can call it that)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom