Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was only asking the question because if the state restricts those coming from certain states, that would then automatically apply to WDW.
You know that airports are still open with no restrictions, right? As are car rental facilities.

I know you’re not stirring the pot and I’m not trying to either...just saying that idea of Florida isolating itself to “open”
Makes zero sense. We’ve had interstate commerce codified for quite a number of decades now.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
I was only asking the question because if the state restricts those coming from certain states, that would then automatically apply to WDW.

Once things open, I can't see any of those types of restrictions. But I could be wrong. Florida relies too much on the Tourism Industry. Wouldn't be just Disney. It would impact conventions, cruises (and yes eventually people will cruise again), theme parks, areas like South Florida that cater to Latin American, European, and domestic visitors, etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Once things open, I can't see any of those types of restrictions. But I could be wrong. Florida relies too much on the Tourism Industry. Wouldn't be just Disney. It would impact conventions, cruises (and yes eventually people will cruise again), theme parks, areas like South Florida that cater to Latin American, European, and domestic visitors, etc.
Florida “opening” without tourism is like McDonald’s opening working burgers or fries?

What’s the point? To let the normal
Beach bums go to their clam bars?

That will really bring in the bucks 😳

Disstevefan1

This just in:

"A number of options Universal is considering such as screening employees who come in contact with guests every day, encouraging guests to wear face masks, and disinfecting rides and attractions throughout the day. "

"Visit Florida is working on a multi-phase campaign, with the first part focused on Florida residents, encouraging them to visit state attractions."

“We believe that the best way to immediately help is for the entire tourism industry, led by Visit Florida, to encourage Floridians to support local businesses by taking an in-state vacation,"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This just in:

"A number of options Universal is considering such as screening employees who come in contact with guests every day, encouraging guests to wear face masks, and disinfecting rides and attractions throughout the day. "

"Visit Florida is working on a multi-phase campaign, with the first part focused on Florida residents, encouraging them to visit state attractions."

“We believe that the best way to immediately help is for the entire tourism industry, led by Visit Florida, to encourage Floridians to support local businesses by taking an in-state vacation,"
That makes sense...

And it also doesn’t.

Wdw is gonna run as a six flags? Instate only?

...excuse me...time to call my broker and dump some stock ASAP!

easyrowrdw

We aren't talking about tobacco companies funding organization back in 50-60s saying cigs aren't addictive. These are universities that are private and receive no public funding. To say every organization is corrupt and has a political agenda is wrong. This virus is real. It's killing people period.

I'm not trying to discredit anything, but much of the funding for research at major universities comes from the federal government. It doesn't matter if it's a public or private school. Tenure is tied to research productivity so there is some element of appealing to the NIH that is "necessary." Some professor positions are paid not by the university, but almost totally from grants.

_caleb

Given there are no proven treatments for the actual virus and you are pretty much left to the ability of your body to fight it, coupled with the fact that ventilators increase your chance of dying and you are better off with just an O2 line to your nose which ever room is going to have... Not much else to be factored in. ICU patients are the a rarity and pretty much a toss up as to whether they live or die... yet even with them you really aren't doing much labor intensive work on them you hook them up and pretty much hope for the best.

I wonder if the doctors and nurses would be half as stressed if they never had to go through with all the intubations for ventilator and had known from the start that all they needed was to hand a nasal O2 line on patients.

I'm not sure what has led you to believe that medical intervention for COVID patients has no effect, but I do know many healthcare professionals who are risking their lives because they disagree with you.

That there is no cure doesn't mean there are no treatments. It's not just a roll of the dice, or "hook them up and pretty much hope for the best." COVID patients need treatment for symptoms like fever, pain, blood pressure, blood clots, and any other health issues that become more dangerous when fighting the disease.

The fact that a high percentage of people put on ventilators die (correlation) does not mean that being put on a ventilator kills patients (causation) or that it has no effect whatsoever.

Hospitals are not all equally equipped to handle COVID cases. Many hospitals do not have negative pressure rooms/systems, advanced imaging (CT/MRI), or the engineers/technicians to operate these.

The fact that you continue to oversimplify complex issues and state opinions and poorly-informed conclusions as fact shows that you don't really know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You know that airports are still open with no restrictions, right? As are car rental facilities.

I know you’re not stirring the pot and I’m not trying to either...just saying that idea of Florida isolating itself to “open”
Makes zero sense. We’ve had interstate commerce codified for quite a number of decades now.

i don’t know what travel restrictions are occurring in Florida. That is why I was asking.

_caleb

I agree it's more aggressive than I would do. But I'm guessing, it's what they are *hoping* for. They really don't want to be cancelling the re-booked dates.

Personally: I'd wait until Florida is hitting an average of less than 10 new cases per day. Once you have a week of that, I'd start bringing back staff for a soft open.
So 1 week of <100 cases per day ----> Announce you will then soft open for local guests 2 weeks later.
Go "soft" open for at least 4 weeks, minimum. Or until the US have UNDER 1000 new cases per day. Whichever is LONGER. Then go with nationwide opening.

How far is Florida from under 100 cases per day? How far is the US from under 1000 cases per day? Spain and Italy, both much smaller than the USA, are at over 3000 cases per day still.

On a personal level -- if Disney does re-open too soon, I'll have a difficult decision about whether to take my trip booked for late June.
We have no idea how many new Coronavirus cases we have per day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
i don’t know what travel restrictions are occurring in Florida. That is why I was asking.
Oh I gotcha...I’m curios too?

Anyone actually know of there are any?

They did that silly 3 state optional quarantine announcement 3 weeks ago...but nothing came of it as far as I know?

"El Gran Magnifico"

They did that silly 3 state optional quarantine announcement 3 weeks ago...but nothing came of it as far as I know?

All persons traveling to Florida from New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut are required upon entry to Florida to self-isolate or quarantine for 14 days, or for the duration of their presence in the state, whichever is shorter.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All persons traveling to Florida from New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut are required upon entry to Florida to self-isolate or quarantine for 14 days, or for the duration of their presence in the state, whichever is shorter.

So the cops grab them and put them in a hotel or condo at the villages for 14 days? Stop by and feed them and deliver TP?

That’s how it’s going?

DCBaker

Premium Member

That's all there is - at the presser yesterday, the Governor said they've marked some 23k people traveling by air/car to FL from those hotspots.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Wait...

Where did the Florida Highway patrol house all those people?

That didn’t make the news at all? 🤔

1587588282542.png

Where do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom