Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

I was wondering about this too. Are you a lawyer or least watch a lot of legal dramas or is this just an opinion?

I have owned several businesses and spent much more time than I ever wanted to going over contracts and law suits with attorneys. This particular statement was made based on advice given to me by an attorney when it became a business necessity to keep a group of trouble makers away from one of our locations.

While I did not attend law school I have a lot of practical experience understanding and interpreting contracts and laws. I am well versed in it enough that when dealing with my wife's employment contracts, I handle the analysis and negotiations to save the legal expense. We made this decision after I reviewed a contract she was offered and made comments and then got pretty much the exact same comments back from an attorney (who was not provided with my comments or the knowledge that I reviewed it).

DisneyCane

Article from USA Today talking with Delta about expectations for air travel to take 3 years to recover

Interesting. Maybe they will increase leg room to a humane level again!

With respect to WDW, if this prediction comes true, maybe there will be a couple of years where the parks are more enjoyable and you can ride the E-tickets with reasonable standby times. A small silver lining perhaps.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Why wouldn't WDW have considered a possible pandemic prior to 2020?

That makes no sense. Don't you remember when Disneyland itself had a measles outbreak 5 years ago?

Looking up terms of Universal reservations is easier than looking up the fine print of a WDW reservation, but I quickly found this in the terms of service for Universal hotels:

"In the event that...a state of emergency is declared for the Orlando area or in your place of residence, within seven days of your arrival, you can contact our team in advance to reschedule or cancel your Universal Parks & Resorts Vacations Package, hotel room only accommodations and Universal Orlando theme park tickets booked directly with Universal Orlando, without any cancellation or change fees imposed. "
I love me some Universal, but it takes up to 4 to 6 weeks to get a refund for a vacation package. I can't believe an organization of that size takes so long. Disney typically takes 3 to 5 days.

hopemax

If you're interested in following how they've been tracing where the virus has come from/gone to, this is a good read -

It is stunning how a single person, or a few people traveling at the same time, can set off a chain that has led to 25% of this.

Which is why I'm terrified, that despite seeing 25,000 new positives a day (and who knows how many untested cases) people are so eager to start taking the steps to re-opening, and press on like it's sunny skies ahead. That's a lot of moles that need to be whacked. And I lack all confidence that we will properly whack them.

Still on the couch, with all the snacks.

thomas998

This assumes that available hospital beds = the ability to provide the care needs for COVID-19 patients. Access to technology, medications, experienced staff, and ICU care are also factors that need to be considered.
Given there are no proven treatments for the actual virus and you are pretty much left to the ability of your body to fight it, coupled with the fact that ventilators increase your chance of dying and you are better off with just an O2 line to your nose which ever room is going to have... Not much else to be factored in. ICU patients are the a rarity and pretty much a toss up as to whether they live or die... yet even with them you really aren't doing much labor intensive work on them you hook them up and pretty much hope for the best.

I wonder if the doctors and nurses would be half as stressed if they never had to go through with all the intubations for ventilator and had known from the start that all they needed was to hand a nasal O2 line on patients.

thomas998

It is stunning how a single person, or a few people traveling at the same time, can set off a chain that has led to 25% of this.

Which is why I'm terrified, that despite seeing 25,000 new positives a day (and who knows how many untested cases) people are so eager to start taking the steps to re-opening, and press on like it's sunny skies ahead. That's a lot of moles that need to be whacked. And I lack all confidence that we will properly whack them.

Still on the couch, with all the snacks.
Just look at Sweden which took the let it happen and get it over with vs the US which as embraced financial ruin.. The infected in Sweden is 1,500 per million people while the US is 2,500 per million people... Doesn't look like jumping on the shutdown train really help that much now does it?

Roy G. Dis

Just look at Sweden which took the let it happen and get it over with vs the US which as embraced financial ruin.. The infected in Sweden is 1,500 per million people while the US is 2,500 per million people... Doesn't look like jumping on the shutdown train really help that much now does it?

Don't roll out the Mission Accomplished banner quite yet...

trainplane3

I know I will die. Thankfully I’ve elected to have my head cryogenically frozen so that at least part of me will live on forever.

My issue was his statement that people’s enjoyment of WDW outweighs the potential of people dying because the they come in contact with someone who has just returned from WDW.
If only you were a super powerful executive, then you could have a movie made about you!

*based on a true story of course*

havoc315

A private business can refuse service to anybody as long as it is not based on race, color, creed, gender, age or sexual orientation. They can discriminate against residents of a state or multiple states all they want.

No, they can't. Florida is part of interstate commerce pacts that prohibit that type of discrimination. You're right as the the US Civil Rights Act (which doesn't cover sexual orientation). But there other laws that would prohibit this type of discrimination.

DisneyCane

No, they can't. Florida is part of interstate commerce pacts that prohibit that type of discrimination. You're right as the the US Civil Rights Act (which doesn't cover sexual orientation). But there other laws that would prohibit this type of discrimination.

Under normal circumstances that is correct but the same arguments that apparently make it legal to shut down some businesses and not others would also allow an exception during this national emergency.

hopemax

The majority of people in Sweden engaged in social distancing. The difference was the government "asked, not ordered." They were on the same shutdown train as the rest of the world, they just boarded from a different station. I have yet to see any Swedish research that they are significantly closer to herd immunity than the rest of the world, despite the announcement of the Health Minister. There was a study, which was withdrawn today "due to the discovery of an error." Another study by a university has also withdrawn their results of an antibody study in blood donations. And their economy is in the toilet too.

havoc315

That’s way more aggressive than what I would do, but I’m not in charge ;)

I think the plan makes sense but I would say June 1st for a soft opening and then wait a few weeks to a month to re-open to all US guests. That assumes all or most states are in or close to phase 3 and they have seen no issues during the soft open period. It also assumes there is profit to be made with an extended soft open which is likely the problem. If there isn’t Disney won’t open at a loss for long.

I agree it's more aggressive than I would do. But I'm guessing, it's what they are *hoping* for. They really don't want to be cancelling the re-booked dates.

Personally: I'd wait until Florida is hitting an average of less than 10 new cases per day. Once you have a week of that, I'd start bringing back staff for a soft open.
So 1 week of <100 cases per day ----> Announce you will then soft open for local guests 2 weeks later.
Go "soft" open for at least 4 weeks, minimum. Or until the US have UNDER 1000 new cases per day. Whichever is LONGER. Then go with nationwide opening.

How far is Florida from under 100 cases per day? How far is the US from under 1000 cases per day? Spain and Italy, both much smaller than the USA, are at over 3000 cases per day still.

On a personal level -- if Disney does re-open too soon, I'll have a difficult decision about whether to take my trip booked for late June.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Under normal circumstances that is correct but the same arguments that apparently make it legal to shut down some businesses and not others would also allow an exception during this national emergency.
It really doesn’t matter if it’s legal or not Disney won’t do it. Neither will Universal. You think the execs at Comcast will support banning people from states like PA and NJ (where they all live) from visiting their parks while letting others in? There’s no way Disney gets in the middle of an obviously politically charged debate and ends up alienating half of the northeast where a big chunk of their guests come from. It’s irrelevant what the FL governor wants too. It’s easy for Disney to justify Florida only. If they open to people outside of Florida it will likely be all or none. If the FL government bans people from certain states or regions I don‘t think WDW will be open or just open to FL residents.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Science is dynamic in lots of circumstances. The further away from physics (mathematical theories, not stats) the more data you need to justify your claims.

Meaning that if i gather more data that's contradictory to what was the leading scientific theory (like lots of studies on Covid19) than that can mean a lot of things (False studies, my data is false, our entire theory is wrong) and will modify our beliefs on the subject.

Uhh.. someone's understanding of a topic changing does not mean the topic itself has changed.

This is just a great example of people being critical of science not even knowing what they are looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom