Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Quite a long time for essentially the entire population of the nation to give up their jobs, and almost all outdoor recreation, and lock themselves indoors, only venturing out for the provisions to sustain them - and wearing masks while doing so.

You said wearing masks. That's all I was commenting on. Good luck watching them still wear masks once all of the above resumes, since many are already "over them".

Incomudro

My lovely neighbors seem to forget social distancing and masks once the temperature rises above 70 degrees and the local trail seems lonely.

The exceptions don't prove the rule.
The vast majority of the people of this country have been adhering to the guidelines at a level of compliance that I would never have believed they would.
That is partially borne out by the curve not rising.

DisneyCane

Here's a pretty simple example...

"No person shall operate an electric personal assistive mobility device at a speed greater than seven miles per hour when traveling on any sidewalk or 15 miles per hour elsewhere "

vs:

"Spacing between persons in the salon should be at least six feet at all times. Salons/shops should consider additional spacing between booths, divider shields, and/or alternate work schedules. "

In searching LexisNexis for GA's laws, I saw a lot more shalls than shoulds. Shall implies something more firm. Should doesn't. An interesting read that kind of highlights my thoughts on the different verbiage and the implications.

Anyway, Georgia is capable of writing "shall"; they didn't for this.

The two words are clearly used interchangeably. For instance,

"§ 8-2-219. Changes which increase floor loading

Any proposed change in the use or occupancy of an existing building or portion thereof which could increase the floor loading should be investigated by a Georgia registered professional engineer to determine the adequacy of the existing floor system to support the increased loads. If the existing floor system is found to be inadequate, it should be modified to support the increased loads or the proposed allowable floor loading shall be reduced by and posted by the appropriate enforcement authority. "

Are you suggesting that it is not a directive and that a floor system that is found to be inadequate is only suggested to be modified for the increased loads?

The guidelines that I posted are clearly meant to be taken as enforceable orders.

DCBaker

Premium Member

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I really like that Sweden has taken a completely different tact than so may other states. I am really hoping that their measure work at least as well as ours in Canada. It really scares me the idea that every time a bad illness comes around our reaction will be this total shutdown. There has to be a better way that protects our econonmically vulnerable.
I don’t know about you, but this is the first time in my lifetime I have seen any restrictions on anything due to a virus and there’s illness around every year. I have no reason to believe this will happen on a recurring basis. Once in a century type event.

As far as Sweden goes I hope they do OK with their plan. While they did leave a lot more businesses open there was an article posted a while back that talked about the government bailout Sweden still needed to prop up their failing economy. It’s a false narrative that government imposed shut downs are the sole cause of our economic downturn. If there were no limits put in place by state governments here in the US we would still be facing a major recession and likely a large amount of unemployment. The job losses would have been staggered like the last recession, but the lockdowns just accelerated an inevitable timeline. At least in this case there were funds made available to those who were impacted.

Tazer19

By this logic then we should ban all non essential travel.

Isn’t that what most places have been doing... to flatten the curve and save lives?

He created a scale in which people enjoying WDW “FAR” outweighed people potentially dying because they were “unlucky” to have caught the virus from someone just returning from WDW. Personally, I don’t need my dole whip that bad.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The available science indicates that outdoor spread isn't really a thing so why are beaches and parks still closed in many areas if we are following the science?
That’s not the case...at all.

There was a very good computer model put together by a researcher showing how far away a sneeze from a runner on a path could spread droplets where covid could be present. It used aerodynamics to show that someone far behind them could be contacted and likely would be more at risk based on the construct than a person six feet away at the side. But both would still be at risk. Can’t eliminate the possibility.

The point is absolutely nothing has been deemed “safe”. Not. One. Thing.

Because there isn’t enough data on scientific consensus.

If you’re going to say beaches and parks are safe...might as well say it will “die in April...it’s just waiting for the last day of the month”

Incomudro

You said wearing masks. That's all I was commenting on. Good luck watching them still wear masks once all of the above resumes, since many are already "over them".

And when recommended to wear masks, the vast majority of people donned them almost immediately.
Matter of fact, many people wanted to wear them earlier but were told otherwise.

Tazer19

I hate to say this but people die. We will ALL die. That is just a fact of life. People need to be INFORMED of the risks and what WDW/all businesses are doing to try to provide a safer environment and then let people CHOOSE if they want to go. The same thing will apply to the employees. Provide them the gear they need and the ability to CHOOSE if they want to work. If they don't want to come in they can find another job and WDW can hire someone else who is comfortable with working under those conditions.

Let's all be VERY careful about giving away our freedoms. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do this smartly or with scientific facts. The fact is we need to start opening up businesses in the areas where it makes sense. I live in NJ so I don't expect things to open up for a bit near me but other states/counties should be able to make decisions. I know others have complained that with Georgia opening up then people from other states would come in. I don't think that will be the case for people who are in a hotspot and those states/counties should make an effort to prevent that from happening.

This should be a measured approach and done on the local level. Each area is in a different stage and as we move through this we will need to stay informed.

I know I will die. Thankfully I’ve elected to have my head cryogenically frozen so that at least part of me will live on forever.

My issue was his statement that people’s enjoyment of WDW outweighs the potential of people dying because the they come in contact with someone who has just returned from WDW.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Why? I'm interested in learning about the policies of different areas. It adds perspective and understanding to what others share. For example, we have quite a few vocal posters from the heavily populated areas of the northeast. Their positions and reactions align logically with what they have experienced and what restrictions are in place. All part of a good discussion and understanding of opinions, IMHO.

Oh, please. You'll twist anything he provides to shape your own narrative. Facts don't matter here if they don't fit one's narrative.

DisneyCane

That’s not the case...at all.

There was a very good computer model put together by a researcher showing how far away a sneeze from a runner on a path could spread droplets where covid could be present. It used aerodynamics to show that someone far behind them could be contacted and likely would be more at risk based on the construct than a person six feet away at the side. But both would still be at risk. Can’t eliminate the possibility.

The point is absolutely nothing has been deemed “safe”. Not. One. Thing.

Because there isn’t enough data on scientific consensus.

If you’re going to say beaches and parks are safe...might as well say it will “die in April...it’s just waiting for the last day of the month”

I didn't say it was safe. I was making a point that the risk is low. NOTHING is 100% safe unless you are walking around in a bio hazard suit. Even the PPE being used by healthcare professionals doesn't make what they are doing 100% safe.

Anybody that doesn't want to take the risk of going to the beach or a park has the right not to go. If the risk is acceptable to me then I should have the right to go.

If you wish to quarantine yourself until there is a vaccine then you have every right to do so. That is the only way to be 100% safe and it requires that everybody in your household participate and that you sanitize all deliveries.

Roy G. Dis

The density of my neighborhood is 6.9k people per square mile. I own a house with a yard and while places are walkable we're right on the threshold of "driving makes more sense". I run outside to exercise and see idiot groups of teenagers hanging out and riding bikes together and families trying to cluster with each other as they try to pass other family units on a trail that cuts through my neighborhood. Maybe they can stay 6 ft away, maybe not. I haven't lurked to observe. I end up running in the street whenever I see someone that might remotely come in my path. ANECDOTALLY I see all sorts of mask compliance and all sorts of social distancing compliance. Adults and their kids are better than teenagers.

Oh yeah, a group of construction workers are mask-free and adding a second floor to the house a few doors down from me. I've had plenty of quarantine time to observe their lack of compliance to both social distancing and masking up and I live in a "vocal", "heavily populated" area.

Reactions: dmw

lazyboy97o

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between this thread and the one in the politics board at this point, besides this one being longer, more political (thinly veiled at best), and laced with regional animosity?
All of the random new and revived members can post here.

MickeyLuv'r

Lol. I will say that there is zero chance for a May opening. And as this is nothing like a hurricane I will confidently say that they did not have a plan to deal with a worldwide pandemic that has closed our entire country.

Why wouldn't WDW have considered a possible pandemic prior to 2020?

That makes no sense. Don't you remember when Disneyland itself had a measles outbreak 5 years ago?

Looking up terms of Universal reservations is easier than looking up the fine print of a WDW reservation, but I quickly found this in the terms of service for Universal hotels:

"In the event that...a state of emergency is declared for the Orlando area or in your place of residence, within seven days of your arrival, you can contact our team in advance to reschedule or cancel your Universal Parks & Resorts Vacations Package, hotel room only accommodations and Universal Orlando theme park tickets booked directly with Universal Orlando, without any cancellation or change fees imposed. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom