Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would count my sister (who got on a plane for Germany at the beginning of March) among those idiots. She got REALLY lucky.
My in-laws Where insistent they were going to the Dominican Republic on 3/17...only blocked by the place calling them to cancel.

I wouldn’t set foot on that island if it had just been hit with a tsunami made of Clorox...under normal conditions.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think it’s a an impossible claim for them to make too...they are clearly under pressure.

The problem is it doesn’t take too many idiots to spread this...unfortunately

Maybe a question someone should ask them. I imagine they would have a response.

And these rules were never about stopping the spread. It was about slowing down. I believe they said earlier models accounted for a larger number of people not doing mitigation, but then had to adjust this when it was realized more people were following the rules than anticipated.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
You keep using this dismissal like the contact tracing public health people do doesn't exist...

How about Georgia then? - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/us/coronavirus-funeral-albany-georgia.html
That was what triggered the whole outbreak in Albany. The nursing home was right the epicenter after on of the mourners contracted it from the funeral and brought it back to the home. Sad but they have more deaths in that small town than Fulton county, which includes the city of Atlanta.

The Mom

Premium Member
The thread went way off the rails - again. So many posts, including a couple I made, have been deleted.
Some warnings have been issued. Please keep in mind that after a certain number of warnings you will be banned from further posts - with or without a moderator making the call.

Bill in Atlanta

All non-essential large gatherings/events in NYC in June have been cancelled - so, no Pride Parade, Puerto Rican Day Parade or SummerStage.
Now, this is what I find interesting. If the IHME model verifies, the state of New York will have 0 deaths from May 21 on, and 0 patients on ventilators from May 28 on. So as we progress through June, folks in NYC will be asked to sit inside - not due to an epidemic raging through their neighborhood, as is the case now, but due to fear that if you congregate outside, it could come back. I have no idea how people will react to that, and for how long.

Jrb1979

After reading that it's still awhile off til Disney opens. They wouldn't mention 6 months for no reason. That's reason I didn't understand why people were in such a hurry to rebook. There is so much uncertainty right now.

Jrb1979

Now, this is what I find interesting. If the IHME model verifies, the state of New York will have 0 deaths from May 21 on, and 0 patients on ventilators from May 28 on. So as we progress through June, folks in NYC will be asked to sit inside - not due to an epidemic raging through their neighborhood, as is the case now, but due to fear that if you congregate outside, it could come back. I have no idea how people will react to that, and for how long.
I don't get that at all. All over the U.S. and Canada they are doing the same. Things will start opening up soon and people can go on with their life just without concerts, crowds at sporting events and theme parks. Til there is a way to treat this or a lot more testing its the new normal.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

We're survivors here for a reason. And we won't be sitting inside, we aren't asked to sit inside now. I run in the park every day and keep my distance. I see a lot of people who do this and maintain social distancing. Honestly, two weeks ago people were breaking the rules left and right. I think people have accepted this now and are doing their part.

It's just that large events that won't allow for social distancing won't return until we have other things up and running. And again, bringing this back to WDW, where major cities go, so will they. My opinion, of course. As always.

Bill in Atlanta

We're survivors here for a reason. And we won't be sitting inside, we aren't asked to sit inside now. I run in the park every day and keep my distance. I see a lot of people who do this and maintain social distancing. Honestly, two weeks ago people were breaking the rules left and right. I think people have accepted this now and are doing their part.

It's just that large events that won't allow for social distancing won't return until we have other things up and running. And again, bringing this back to WDW, where major cities go, so will they. My opinion, of course. As always.
Well said.

There are questions about the reliability of the IHME model - but if it verifies, I'm just curious what June-August will look like, from a mass psychology standpoint. The cumulative effect of "no covid deaths" headlines, day after day, would be massive, I'd think. It would be such a different reality than what we're living right now. And, knowing how short people's memories/attention spans are, I could see confidence in gathering in large groups coming back fast for many people. Ultimately, the WDW decision makers may not care what public confidence is, but at least the conditions for reopening would be more fertile.

Flugell

Just to say thank you for the advice yesterday. I’ve contacted Disney U.K. and they will allow me to cancel and return my deposit! They would also allow me to keep the free dining I booked with if I amended the booking to before the end of October but would not guarantee free dining after that, which is a bit sad. Will just have to see what happens in the future regarding prices and offers. Fair play to Disney for agreeing to refund the deposit without any argument though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom