Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

Since AIDS is brought up her fairly regularly, I remember there were groups in the 80s who outright ignored the AIDS epidemic and continued to live their lives without any kind of protection. That's all I see when I think of the beaches in Tampa. Utter disregard. And since we all want to get back to Disney as soon and safely as possible, I really want to tell these folks to wear a rubber or get off my lawn. Er, beach.
They did. It was the won’t happen to me mentality. It was when it broke open into the rest of the population by dirty needles.. blood infusions.. is when the leaders started to say whoa we need to do something about this because it’s not just hitting a certain part of the population.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
They did. It was the won’t happen to me mentality. It was when it broke open into the rest of the population by dirty needles.. blood infusions.. is when the leaders started to say whoa we need to something about this because it’s not just hitting a certain part of the population.

So true. Bringing on the waterworks here. :(

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As for the apps, remember you really wanted to be able to contact everyone that had been potentially exposed you would need to be capturing all the GPS data from every phone of every person and storing it for several weeks... then when you had a person diagnosed with the virus you would need to basically have a program look at the known path of that person for the past week and then pull up every person that had passed through that same path within say 3 hours of the time the infected person was there, remember the virus can hang in the air so if the infected person walked into a convenience store at 10:00am on the 18th you need to get anyone that went in that store between 10:00am and 1:00pm... that's going to be kicking up a lot of contact reports.. in the end you could probably just write a program that sent out a contact notice to anyone that left their house because you will likely be crossing the path of someone that was infected anytime you go anywhere.
The goal of contact testing isn’t to capture every single person who was possibly exposed its to contact the most likely candidates. Anyone the infected person had direct contact with. This isn’t a new concept. Contact testing has been common practice with infectious diseases historically. If each infected person infects 3 additional people then if you can isolate 2 of them that’s a 2/3 reduction in the spread. It’s not going to catch everyone but it significantly reduces the outbreak.

On the app, thats not how it works. It doesn’t use GPS data. It uses Bluetooth. Each person who has the app is assigned a unique identifier that is meaningless to any outsider. Whenever you come within the programmed distance of another user your app will collect that unique identifier. That list is stored for a programmed number of days (let’s say 14 days for example). If within those 14 days someone tests positive for the virus they change their status to infected and then all the people who’s phones have the positive person’s unique identifier stored will get a notification that they need to get tested. The person who gets the notification won’t know who or where or when they came in contact. The intent is to keep it anonymous. Then all the people who got alerts get tested and any who are positive change their status and the whole thing starts over. You are going to get a lot of negative tests but that’s OK. The point is to try to isolate people as soon as possible rather than waiting until they have symptoms.

bryanfze55

Since AIDS is brought up her fairly regularly, I remember there were groups in the 80s who outright ignored the AIDS epidemic and continued to live their lives without any kind of protection. That's all I see when I think of the beaches in Tampa. Utter disregard. And since we all want to get back to Disney as soon and safely as possible, I really want to tell these folks to wear a rubber or get off my lawn. Er, beach.

With all due respect, how much risk is there really by being on the beach? Yes, if you’re congregating with 10 of your friends in a close circle...

That’s kind of different than a family that stays 50 feet away from the nearest persons.

Being outdoors is healthy and actually helps fight viruses.

I’m still upset they closed all the hiking trails near me. It’s overboard. People should be encouraged to go into nature, while practicing proper social distancing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With all due respect, how much risk is there really by being on the beach? Yes, if you’re congregating with 10 of your friends in a close circle...

That’s kind of different than a family that stays 50 feet away from the nearest persons.

I’m still upset they closed all the hiking trails near me. It’s overboard. People should be encouraged to go into nature, while practicing proper social distancing.
What scenario do you see families staying 50 feet apart?

Are we still discussing Disney parks?

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

I haven't seen many people staying 50 feet away from anyone and proper social distancing is practically nil. Not to mention those rallies. If it weren't for idiots like them, we'd still have hiking trails open. But PEOPLE CAN'T FOLLOW RULES. Welcome to the world.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is it possible when WDW can legally open the gov of Florida/Orlando fund operations even if it's not profitable as WDW could be argued a local,
economic, cultural landmark?

Certainty having it closed looks pretty bad on the image that Florida is known for.
Good question...

But the parks are used to bankroll all the other Disney stuff and generate walk away profit for investors...

So a government subsidy to “cover costs” wouldn’t work

bryanfze55

What scenario do you see families staying 50 feet apart?

Are we still discussing Disney parks?

Public beaches. Maybe 50 feet is a stretch. Idk, I’ve only been to beaches in California and it’s never been hard to keep a reasonable distance from other people (certainly more than 6 feet). I’ve never been to Daytona Beach during Spring Break though, so what do I know.

Point is, we shouldn’t ban nature. No, this isn’t about Disney parks - this is about life! A conversation amongst people who aren’t just Disney robots, but who are genuine human beings with a shared experience of living through tumultuous current events. The horror that we veer off track! Yes, let’s get back to important topics such as if the Tiki Room will be open when WDW reopens (ok, that one is actually important to me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom