Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

It should be a state by state thing, though. Many states don’t have a crisis on their hands. I feel awful for New York City, but that doesn’t mean people in Wyoming need to shutter their businesses.

All states have active cases. It's very easy to go from what looks like manageable numbers to not when you remove all restrictions and allow people to congregate in any capacity.

Only a month ago I remember people saying "Why are we shutting everything down - only 200 people have died." Now that it's close to 45,000, the capacity for exponential growth becomes a lot clearer.

wishiwere@wdw

New Orleans' population was disproportionately at-risk for this virus, but Mardi Gras certainly didn't help.

What's interesting is the Magic Kingdom was packed on March 15, but we didn't see a spike in central FL. I realize many in that crowd were from out of state, but there were still plenty of locals/AP holders, as well as WDW cast members.
As a local and very frequent visitor to all of the FL parks, this has been a big topic for quite some time amongst my family and friends. Even if you take a small group of the overall CM’s, say “only” 20,000, it is amazing we haven’t seen a massive amount of cases. These folks had direct interactions in all sorts of conditions with people from all around the world. The growing consensus, at least within our smaller and certainly biased circle is that we already all had this months ago. Our family was horribly sick in late January. We stayed home from the parks during this time and my kids certainly stayed home from school until fully recovered. We specifically remember stating it was the worst flu we’ve ever had and I recall being sarcastic at how the flu shot missed the mark this time. I personally have some CM friends that were quite sick in December, January and February.

Makes you go hmmmmm.

lilypgirl

It should be a state by state thing, though. Many states don’t have a crisis on their hands. I feel awful for New York City, but that doesn’t mean people in Wyoming need to shutter their businesses.
Yes but the Governor of New York likes to think that all states should do what he is doing. Some of his words the past few days make him seem very selfish.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is how I'm feeling today. After reading today's posts, including The Mom saying she deleted a bunch of stuff, I'm feeling like, "We are all screwed." Then I go to Twitter, and am reminded about how absolutely horrible we are doing with testing.

So we're going to have places reopen waaayyyy to soon because a minority, and I do believe they are a minority but in our current place a loud minority is all it takes, will scream until they get their way. And because we are blind on the ground, all we will be able to do is play whack-a-mole. Best case is that most Governors hold the line, and a few states (probably Florida and Texas) decide to walk their alternative path. Which won't be Sweden's path, because the vast majority of Swedes DID stay home after being asked, which won't be the case for this minority. Swedes keep saying they are taking this threat very seriously, they are listening to the experts, they are listening to the recommendations of their government, everything our minority admits they won't do.

We are not handling testing much at all...which means we are begging for so much more trouble.
As always, I respect your opinion and the fact that you’re clearly on the more cautious side than I am. I think there needs to be a balance. Public health cannot be the sole goal, no matter the situation.

I’m not willing to do the bolded for an extended period of time... maybe you are. Maybe millions are. But I think there’s more who aren’t than are. We’re inherently social creatures and need to be social. That doesn’t mean open Disney World - but it does mean open local business.
Don’t get me wrong...I’m not a shut in by nature. I work independently and I’m out doing consults 2-4 times a week minimum on the road.

Obviously I like to travel.

I like to bike and run and yak...I also attend pro sporting events regularly.

I’m not cool with this...but I understand it. And the second spike will really put us in hell from that perspective and absolutely wreck the economy on a long term basis. Not worth the risk...we can hold the economy up the FIrst Time. Don’t know if the bazooka can be reloaded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was very ill the end of January and I live near Orlando. I went to the ER (second visit) on January 31 with prolonged fever, nasty cough, nausea and shortness of breath. I was found to have pneumonia and the doctor did a d-dimer test which showed possible blood clot. The CT scan showed a very significant pulmonary embolism and I was airlifted to a larger hospital in Orlando for a catheterization to break up the clot. Reading previous posts about blood clots really hit home. I don’t know if I had Covid, though I seem to have a text book case, I’m still very careful. I left the hospital with an enlarged heart. So people do need to realize that the blood clots are very serious. I’m hoping to get an antibody test to confirm with way.

Sounds like you had it...

...which means reopening wdw would be less of a priority, wouldn’t it?

bryanfze55

We are not handling testing much at all...which means we are begging for so much more trouble.

Don’t get me wrong...I’m not a shut in by nature. I work independently and I’m out doing consults 2-4 times a week minimum on the road.

Obviously I like to travel.

I like to bike and run and yak...I also attend pro sporting events regularly.

But how long is the first time? Do we just shut down the economy until there’s no new cases? Until we have a vaccine? Those two milestones may never come, my friend. And if there are no new cases and we re-open, there’s no guarantee this won’t circulate again. There’s just no guarantees. I understand shutting down for a month or two to slow the spread initially. But at some point, we need to accept a level of risk. There will always be the risk of future outbreaks. We can say “shut it down till there’s a vaccine,” but there’s no promise of an effective vaccine. In the absence of that, I guess we should prepare to hole up for the rest of our days...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jrb1979

But how long is the first time? Do we just shut down the economy until there’s no new cases? Until we have a vaccine? Those two milestones may never come, my friend. And if there are no new cases and we re-open, there’s no guarantee this won’t circulate again. There’s just no guarantees. I understand shutting down for a month or two to slow the spread initially. But at some point, we need to accept a level of risk. There will always be the risk of future outbreaks. We can say “shut it down till there’s a vaccine,” but there’s no promise of an effective vaccine. In the absence of that, I guess we should prepare to hole up for the rest of our days...

It wasn’t meant to be political. I’m not some angry states’ rights activist that shakes my fist at all federal intrusion.
I think he means not to rush in opening the economy as whole. Stay on the path that is laid out and take our time to do it. Stick with what they have been doing in Europe. Opening small businesses at first and go from there. If that means sporting events, concerts, festivals and theme parks don't open for along while then that's the way it goes.

bryanfze55

I think he means not to rush in opening the economy as whole. Stay on the path that is laid out and take our time to do it. Stick with what they have been doing in Europe. Opening small businesses at first and go from there. If that means sporting events, concerts, festivals and theme parks don't open for along while then that's the way it goes.

Europe’s approach varies by country, just like it should state-by-state.

I agree - we shouldn’t “rush” into opening theme parks and sports stadiums. But my God, there should be some sense of urgency. I know people are skittish about public health, but there should be some recognition of the millions of people who (though receiving unemployment or a small business loan) may not be able to rejoin the workforce or get their business going again for whatever reason. A little more urgency would at least show some empathy. For what it’s worth, I’m working from home - no immediate economic threat to me at this point. But I feel sorry for those who are in trouble.

hopemax

Many states didn't have a crisis, because the lockdowns started before they had clusters develop. The virus spread has slowed, but even that slowing didn't prevent the spread to states and counties that didn't have cases. Every state has cases now. Every state has undiscovered cases. So when restrictions are lifted, what happens? When the elite fly from populated metro centers to Jackson Hole and their ranches what happens? The virus will spread. How far it will be allowed to grow unchecked is up to the restrictions and the testing. I don't understand how people think that people can have freedom of movement, but the virus somehow won't. What protected Wyoming (lack of infection) in February / March is no longer the case. Wyoming understands this, and why their Governor (R if it matters) continues to state he is taking a conservative approach to reopening.

Polynesia

Sounds like you had it...

...which means reopening wdw would be less of a priority, wouldn’t it?
I want to see WDW open safely. That’s the main goal. I just read Shanghai is looking at ways to open their Disney Frozen theatre by skipping rows and spacing out families. Hopefully we can learn from what they’re doing. Opening too soon would be tragic. But editing until a vaccine comes along seems too long. They’ll need to find a safe medium where guests can feel as safe as they can considering the circumstances. All we can do is wait and see and observe when smaller venues open.

SierraT

Again, I know I’m a newbie and my opinion doesn’t really matter but listening to Governor DeSantis at the moment. He indicated that only 9 percent per 100k occupying beds in Florida vs. NY which is 80 percent + (great job Florida). He also stated that 60 percent of the cases are in Broward, Palm, and Miami counties. He states that businesses should be planning and could start opening in May but contingent on safety and confidence in people and may require creative ideas to open safely. This is a very positive press conference.

bryanfze55

Many states didn't have a crisis, because the lockdowns started before they had clusters develop. The virus spread has slowed, but even that slowing didn't prevent the spread to states and counties that didn't have cases. Every state has cases now. Every state has undiscovered cases. So when restrictions are lifted, what happens? When the elite fly from populated metro centers to Jackson Hole and their ranches what happens? The virus will spread. How far it will be allowed to grow unchecked is up to the restrictions and the testing. I don't understand how people think that people can have freedom of movement, but the virus somehow won't. What protected Wyoming (lack of infection) in February / March is no longer the case. Wyoming understands this, and why their Governor (R if it matters) continues to state he is taking a conservative approach to reopening.

So wait until there’s no new cases... fine... but what happens if there’s an outbreak again when things re-open (even re-open with extensive caution, we’ll see).

I’ll restate that I think some level of risk will have to be taken by all of us at some point. This is by all means worse than the flu (except perhaps in infants and children - we don’t know fully yet), and we all need to accept the fact that we may get this virus and get very ill at some point. If you’re older or at high risk, perhaps sheltering in place for a longer period of time is necessary.... until there’s a vaccine... oh, but then I go back to: What if we don’t ever get an effective vaccine to blunt the effects?

DisneyCane

This is how I'm feeling today. After reading today's posts, including The Mom saying she deleted a bunch of stuff, I'm feeling like, "We are all screwed." Then I go to Twitter, and am reminded about how absolutely horrible we are doing with testing.

This data needs to be looked at in different geographic areas differently. The overall US data is skewed by the fact that more tests are being done in the areas with the worst outbreaks which skews the data greatly. New York accounts for 16% of all tests administered but only represents 6% of the population and the positive rate is very high there.

In Florida, the cumulative positive rate is now at 10% when a couple of weeks ago it was at 11% which indicates a somewhat significant decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom