Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Now, this is what I find interesting. If the IHME model verifies, the state of New York will have 0 deaths from May 21 on, and 0 patients on ventilators from May 28 on. So as we progress through June, folks in NYC will be asked to sit inside - not due to an epidemic raging through their neighborhood, as is the case now, but due to fear that if you congregate outside, it could come back. I have no idea how people will react to that, and for how long.
There’s a big difference between being asked to sit inside and not having large mass gatherings. Things will be open by June, just not everything. Ask the people in New Orleans how Mardi Gras went this year. There was no known active spread of the virus in the area at the time but looking back now it was a bad decision to not cancel. Things will open up slowly so I think it makes perfect sense to not have thousands of people from all over congregate together so soon.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Sorry, but he said nothing in that link about the date being talked about. All it shows is a link to another article this website wrote at the end of March basing that information on Disney offering refunds through a date of 6/30.

Is there some other article that actually quotes Iger on a 6/30 date?
I don't think he actually said a date. That Blog or whatever it is, is making an assumption that since Disney is refunding or changing reservations through 6/30, that it must be the date of re-opening.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I just read some truly hysterical guidelines coming out of the Wynn for their theater reopenings. All I can say is that as soon as an actor is counted upon to do a costume change/put on a costume on their own, I'll win the Nobel Prize. Also, chlorinated water baths before going onstage? At least they have giant backstage spaces to attempt this stuff out there. Baffling. I hope Disney has that kind of space!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just to say thank you for the advice yesterday. I’ve contacted Disney U.K. and they will allow me to cancel and return my deposit! They would also allow me to keep the free dining I booked with if I amended the booking to before the end of October but would not guarantee free dining after that, which is a bit sad. Will just have to see what happens in the future regarding prices and offers. Fair play to Disney for agreeing to refund the deposit without any argument though.
Glad it worked out for you...it was the right call

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think he actually said a date. That Blog or whatever it is, is making an assumption that since Disney is refunding or changing reservations through 6/30, that it must be the date of re-opening.
I definitely think there could be some supposition in there...

But there are many instances where “unofficial” details are printed that are based on unconfirmed facts

Bill in Atlanta

Ask the people in New Orleans how Mardi Gras went this year. There was no known active spread of the virus in the area at the time but looking back now it was a bad decision to not cancel. Things will open up slowly so I think it makes perfect sense to not have thousands of people from all over congregate together so soon.
New Orleans' population was disproportionately at-risk for this virus, but Mardi Gras certainly didn't help.

What's interesting is the Magic Kingdom was packed on March 15, but we didn't see a spike in central FL. I realize many in that crowd were from out of state, but there were still plenty of locals/AP holders, as well as WDW cast members.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
New Orleans' population was disproportionately at-risk for this virus, but Mardi Gras certainly didn't help. What's interesting is the Magic Kingdom was packed on March 15, but we didn't see a spike in central FL. I realize many in that crowd were from out of state, but there were still plenty of locals/AP holders, as well as WDW cast members.
I’m pretty sure there’s no disagreement that Mardi Gras was a huge mistake as a mass incubator...

They actually might have gotten a tad lucky.

I don’t think it’s because people weigh more. Poverty breeds poor health...but that’s well established. West Virginia is lucky they’re isolated...just saying 😉

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
New Orleans' population was disproportionately at-risk for this virus, but Mardi Gras certainly didn't help. What's interesting is the Magic Kingdom was packed on March 15, but we didn't see a spike in central FL. I realize many in that crowd were from out of state, but there were still plenty of locals/AP holders, as well as WDW cast members.

I think the WDW closure had more to do with keeping international/out-of-state folks from traveling to Orlando and contributing to the petri dish. It's a small world after all!

Disstevefan1

To even know there was a spike you would have needed to test a symptomatic folks as will as folks who got sick enough to see a dr or go to the hospital. And in the March 15 timeframe, there were few tests available, so testing was very restricted to only the folks who the Dr. determined truly needed the test. I know Folks who were sick and were refused back then because they did not fit the criteria at that time.

I know first hand of people in central Florida who had fevers and breathing issues in February, we are thinking now, that may have been COVID.

Bill in Atlanta

To even know there was a spike you would have needed to test a symptomatic folks as will as folks who got sick enough to see a dr or go to the hospital. And in the March 15 timeframe, there were few tests available, so testing was very restricted to only the folks who the Dr. determined truly needed the test. I know Folks who were sick and were refused back then because they did not fit the criteria at that time.

I know first hand of people in central Florida who had fevers and breathing issues in February, we are thinking now, that may have been COVID.
Right, I guess my point was that we know there were terrible outbreaks in NYC and New Orleans. We don't feel the same way about central FL, which had daily mass gatherings up until March 15.

There's just still so much that we don't understand..

Polynesia

New Orleans' population was disproportionately at-risk for this virus, but Mardi Gras certainly didn't help.

What's interesting is the Magic Kingdom was packed on March 15, but we didn't see a spike in central FL. I realize many in that crowd were from out of state, but there were still plenty of locals/AP holders, as well as WDW cast members.
Some reports are coming out that deaths from pneumonia were spiking already in Florida by the time Disney closed. It appears the virus may have been in the Orlando area earlier. Which also brings up again why you’re not hearing about cast members being sick. I truly believe many were ill back in February.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I think you missed the point on not having large group gatherings in NY in June. It has nothing to do with a high risk or low risk population. The point is that you don’t know that the virus is active in an area until well after the fact. So if NY enters the initial phase of re-opening and everything appears to go good initially they won’t know if the virus has started a second wave. They want to wait to see how the opening goes before bringing in thousands of people.

Bringing It back to WDW we have no idea how many people were infected at WDW on March 15.

Polynesia

I was very ill the end of January and I live near Orlando. I went to the ER (second visit) on January 31 with prolonged fever, nasty cough, nausea and shortness of breath. I was found to have pneumonia and the doctor did a d-dimer test which showed possible blood clot. The CT scan showed a very significant pulmonary embolism and I was airlifted to a larger hospital in Orlando for a catheterization to break up the clot. Reading previous posts about blood clots really hit home. I don’t know if I had Covid, though I seem to have a text book case, I’m still very careful. I left the hospital with an enlarged heart. So people do need to realize that the blood clots are very serious. I’m hoping to get an antibody test to confirm with way.

bryanfze55

I’m pretty sure there’s no disagreement that Mardi Gras was a huge mistake as a mass incubator...

They actually might have gotten a tad lucky.

I don’t think it’s because people weigh more. Poverty breeds poor health...but that’s well established. West Virginia is lucky they’re isolated...just saying 😉

Ironically, Louisiana’s death rate is less than that of Michigan, Connecticut, and even Washington (a rather “healthy” state). Its rate has trended down while many other states have trended up (see the Northeast).

My state of Missouri has a lower death rate than Colorado. I can tell you which one has more obese people per capita without looking it up, and I would imagine it’s not close.

Granted, this is all just deaths divided by confirmed cases...

Maybe population density has something to do with it? Fact is, death rates in the South aren’t any glaringly worse than the rest of the country. Maybe obesity alone in the absence of other co-morbidities isn’t a driving factor.

There’s so much we don’t know. Maybe never will.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ironically, Louisiana’s death rate is less than that of Michigan, Connecticut, and even Washington (a rather “healthy” state). Its rate has trended down while many other states have trended up (see the Northeast).

My state of Missouri has a lower death rate than Colorado. I can tell you which one has more obese people per capita without looking it up, and I would imagine it’s not close.

Granted, this is all just deaths divided by confirmed cases...

Maybe population density has something to do with it? Fact is, death rates in the South aren’t any glaringly worse than the rest of the country. Maybe obesity alone in the absence of other co-morbidities isn’t a driving factor.

There’s so much we don’t know. Maybe never will.
My general point is the virus doesn’t respect boundaries or demographics...

But has proven to be affected by staying the hell away from each other and better hygiene...

...so about those Disney parks...

MickeyLuv'r

I'm thinking about WDW opening from a generic standpoint.

If WDW opens while a significant portion of the country is still in lockdown, and/or a significant portion of the population thinks it is too early to open, then WDW risks alienating that portion of the population. Even if - say - around half the population feels opening today is a great idea, can WDW afford to alienate the portion of the population of the population that feels it is too early?

What would that do to WDW's image as an ALL-American institution?

Generally, all tourist spots are in a similar situation, but maybe WDW is in an even tougher spot, as a big part of WDW's image has been the idea that WDW is supposed to be for everyone.

Opening too early could backfire in a way that hurts Disney's image for an extended period.

What scares me, is that the prospect that the discussion of when/how to re-open appears to be growing more polarizing.

During a crises, we should all be working together for a common purpose. We should all be working to create consensus. I'm concerned a number of our pre-existing divisions are starting to fester.

Jenny72

Maybe I'm overly idealistic, but I believe that most people are in a fairly sensible middle ground over these things, rather than either threatening revolution over restrictions or cowering in the basement. I think it's possible that in a few weeks, maybe a bit more, things will start to become a bit clearer about possible paths forward and there will be an uneasy consensus about opening things slowly. People that I talk to would be ok with careful retail openings in a few weeks, for instance -- some doing curbside, or limiting people inside, etc.

We are not at that point (obviously). Disney can not open until we reach some critical point where things seem different than they are now. It could be better testing, better treatment, better policies for safely operating different businesses, etc. Just as Disney closed at the point where there was a consensus in the air that it needed to close, it will open when there is a consensus that it's ok. That is, things will have to feel as though they have changed. I don't know what or when that will be, but Disney won't open unless a bunch of other things are also opening.

bryanfze55

My general point is the virus doesn’t respect boundaries or demographics...

But has proven to be affected by staying the hell away from each other and better hygiene...

...so about those Disney parks...

As always, I respect your opinion and the fact that you’re clearly on the more cautious side than I am. I think there needs to be a balance. Public health cannot be the sole goal, no matter the situation.

I’m not willing to do the bolded for an extended period of time... maybe you are. Maybe millions are. But I think there’s more who aren’t than are. We’re inherently social creatures and need to be social. That doesn’t mean open Disney World - but it does mean open local business.

hopemax

What scares me, is that the prospect that the discussion of when/how to re-open appears to be growing more polarizing.

During a crises, we should all be working together for a common purpose. We should all be working to create consensus. I'm concerned a number of our pre-existing divisions are starting to fester.

This is how I'm feeling today. After reading today's posts, including The Mom saying she deleted a bunch of stuff, I'm feeling like, "We are all screwed." Then I go to Twitter, and am reminded about how absolutely horrible we are doing with testing.

So we're going to have places reopen waaayyyy to soon because a minority, and I do believe they are a minority but in our current place a loud minority is all it takes, will scream until they get their way. And because we are blind on the ground, all we will be able to do is play whack-a-mole. Best case is that most Governors hold the line, and a few states (probably Florida and Texas) decide to walk their alternative path. Which won't be Sweden's path, because the vast majority of Swedes DID stay home after being asked, which won't be the case for this minority. Swedes keep saying they are taking this threat very seriously, they are listening to the experts, they are listening to the recommendations of their government, everything our minority admits they won't do.

bryanfze55

This is how I'm feeling today. After reading today's posts, including The Mom saying she deleted a bunch of stuff, I'm feeling like, "We are all screwed." Then I go to Twitter, and am reminded about how absolutely horrible we are doing with testing.

So we're going to have places reopen waaayyyy to soon because a minority, and I do believe they are a minority but in our current place a loud minority is all it takes, will scream until they get their way. And because we are blind on the ground, all we will be able to do is play whack-a-mole. Best case is that most Governors hold the line, and a few states (probably Florida and Texas) decide to walk their alternative path. Which won't be Sweden's path, because the vast majority of Swedes DID stay home after being asked, which won't be the case for this minority. Swedes keep saying they are taking this threat very seriously, they are listening to the experts, they are listening to the recommendations of their government, everything our minority admits they won't do.

It should be a state by state thing, though. Many states don’t have a crisis on their hands. I feel awful for New York City, but that doesn’t mean people in Wyoming need to shutter their businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom