Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

manmythlegend

The owners of the sports teams will want to figure out how to make money... the players don’t get to decide when the team plays.

Sports are star driven. And the stars already have enough money to live out the rest of their lives even if they decide to breach their contract. If LBJ says he isn't playing right now, there isn't a dang thing that the owner of the Lakers or Adam Silver can do about it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
My prediction. No movement in April. Come May, you will slowly start to see lockdown orders expire for certain areas only but with the social distancing recommendations still in place. Throughout the month more orders will expire but some of the highest risk areas will still be in place. Major movement will start to occur in June where you will see many high traffic public places start to open again, even in major cities. By July, much will now be open but certain social distance practices still in place. I have no prediction for sports.

i think the feds release their recommendations today if I’m not mistaken?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Players may not have a say but their union does. Which I guess is the players. Believe me, if there’s not a safe plan to play, doesn’t matter what the owners say. Sure you will have football if you want to call it that.. been there done it. Don’t want to see that again.
They ended the NBA season when one player tested positive. The players run that league. It’s foolish to think the owners could force them to do anything. The NFL is a little different animal.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don’t know if that’s completely true. I think if health experts were suggesting not to return to normal but the government said it was OK a lot more people would be hesitant. From a recent poll:
81 percent, say Americans “should continue to social distance for as long as is needed to curb the spread of coronavirus, even if it means continued damage to the economy.” Only 10 percent say Americans “should stop social distancing to stimulate the economy, even if it means increasing the spread of coronavirus.” Nine percent of voters have no opinion.

I think opinions vary and tend to be skewed based on political affiliation and also age.

i think we need to differentiate between social distancing and stay at home orders.

Lilofan

Sports are star driven. And the stars already have enough money to live out the rest of their lives even if they decide to breach their contract. If LBJ says he isn't playing right now, there isn't a dang thing that the owner of the Lakers or Adam Silver can do about it.
I think if LeBron James was approached on the idea of playing the corona impacted season at ESPN and staying at an Art of Animation room with four walls and a window , Mickey in the lobby and terrible Disney food, he would say " See YA! ".

Kevin_W

Yes. Which leaders in the scientific community are saying we should re-open now? What the heck are you talking about Andrew?

Do you consider economists to be scientists? Because there are certainly opinions from economists that have promoted reopening at least parts of the economy. And frankly, so far in this pandemic, the economists have a much better track record for predictions in their field than the medical community does in its field.

manmythlegend

Do you consider economists to be scientists? Because there are certainly opinions from economists that have promoted reopening at least parts of the economy. And frankly, so far in this pandemic, the economists have a much better track record for predictions in their field than the medical community does in its field.

Why would anyone trust an economist to determine when things should re-open during a pandemic? No thanks. I'll listen to Fauci (assuming pols aren't forcing him to say something against his will) and people in his circle.

manmythlegend

That’s fair but the comment was that the only reason most people aren‘t in restaurants right now is because they aren’t allowed. I don’t think that’s true. The majority of people are staying home because they believe it’s helping.

For now, I'm content getting curbside from restaurants I like. I'm not going to risk my life just to go inside and order a cold brewsky with my meal.

ImperfectPixie

I should make clear that I'm not against online education either in principle or in practice. It's a really great option for those who can't or don't want to take classes in person. But far from paving the way for the abandonment of physical campuses, this crisis is only underscoring just how much we need them.

Congrats on your double major! That's a really impressive achievement!
Thank you! I could never have attended an on-campus program - my kids were too little when I enrolled and child care costs would have been ridiculous. I was really sad that I missed "the campus experience", but I accepted that as part of attending college as an adult with a family...but as I mentioned, implementation needs to be done well and consistently among colleges/universities.

I agree 100% with your statement about how much we need brick-and-mortar schools - especially in grades k-12, but I do think a blend for secondary education and for higher education can be achieved. School environments continue to be an issue, but that's a discussion for another thread and another day.

Frank the Tank

They ended the NBA season when one player tested positive. The players run that league. It’s foolish to think the owners could force them to do anything. The NFL is a little different animal.

It will be interesting to see. I think a lot of us as fans might be underestimating the impact of the fact that players aren't receiving paychecks when they aren't playing and how they may be much more willing to come back ASAP. Wealthy people can be just as worried as not getting paid as anyone else. Athletes have a short career window to maximize their earnings, too (and that's especially the case in the NFL). LeBron James and Tom Brady may not be in a rush to get back to playing because they have the financial resources to last for multiple generations, but the rank-and-file players may think very differently. We saw that in the NFLPA's recent vote about expanding the regular season and playoffs, where the superstars like Aaron Rodgers were very much against it since the increased revenue wouldn't mean much to them, but it meant a lot more to the rank-and-file players that ultimately prevailed. Every lost paycheck can definitely matter a lot to the non-superstar players and it can't ever be recouped since time is literally money in professional sports.

Frank the Tank

Was just reading that. I see it’s going to be with tons of guidance and some restrictions. I so hope he’s doing the right thing and this doesn’t explode.

Granted, at least Governor DeWine has a lot more credibility than a lot of other politicians on this issue as one of the first governors to start shutting things down outside of the initial West Coast hotspots even though it was more politically unpalatable at the time and often against his own party's political wishes. He definitely has been making his decisions based on science, so that gives me more confidence in him than others that just want to pick a random date for reopening for political expediency without a scientific basis.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Hell no...

Who on earth gave you the idea that was a reasonable proposition?

Economist study theory that has no direct consequences or recourse to them. They also are paid to write academic papers and give commentary...and the payers are not without preference/opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom