Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeriofTerror

I usually go every other year so I use this year’s points and borrow most of next years each trip. This time around we had some points left from 2019 plus 2020s and borrowed most of 2021s to book a 2 bedroom for 10 nights.
I was so excited to score a studio at the Boardwalk at 7 months during F&W. Now I'm worried none of the parks will be open for my mid-September trip, let alone Epcot and F&W. 😕

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not in a million years. The CDC guidance will still be in place for gatherings of 50 or 100 people. Also with most health experts saying reopening is a massive mistake without proper testing and a process to address hotspots, Disney will be cautious. Given all of this it’s likely many of these red leaning states, even Florida, are going to see a surge of cases and deaths. Some might even have to shut down again. Too many variables.
I tend to agree with you. I think Disney will be cautious. There seems to be some sentiment that maybe WDW will open before DLR because Disney World is in Florida and Florida’s governor seems more open to a faster opening of things than CA‘s governor. I‘m not sure that will definitely be the case. Nobody in Florida will be making the call on WDW. It will be the execs in CA that call the shots. I think they will likely open the same time unless one or the other state falls behind dramatically.

Incomudro

This. The point of everything we have been doing since mid March was never to hide from the virus until there was a cure/vaccine. It was to slow the spread so healthcare could be better prepared.

And if it was believed at the start that this virus would not spread at a rate that would overwhelm healthcare systems, federal and local governments would have made little or no mandatory restrictions.
Recommendations certainly.
The tap needs to be opened at a rate that allows the infection rates to be handled.

*My post here can be disregarded essentially, I just read the Federal Phase Guidelines.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Some hopeful news -

"A Chicago hospital treating severe Covid-19 patients with Gilead Sciences’ antiviral medicine remdesivir in a closely watched clinical trial is seeing rapid recoveries in fever & respiratory symptoms, with nearly all patients discharged in less than a week"

hopemax

5th gate opening in Wyoming confirmed.
FYI, Wyoming (and Montana, btw) expects out of state visitors to self-quarantine for 14 days, so everyone will need a lot of vacation time.

I get the joke, but despite the lack of an official stay at home order, WY does have a bunch of restrictions. I expect that people think that given its population it should be one of the first places to get back to normal. Except they are concerned with all the people who would choose to visit their little corner and mess things up. The Governor, today, said he doesn't know what the 2020-2021 school year will look and he expects WY infections to rise. The Health Director is concerned about their lack of testing supplies preventing them from getting a good read on their situation.

We have a long way to go.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Some hopeful news -

"A Chicago hospital treating severe Covid-19 patients with Gilead Sciences’ antiviral medicine remdesivir in a closely watched clinical trial is seeing rapid recoveries in fever & respiratory symptoms, with nearly all patients discharged in less than a week"

From what I'm reading, it's a less toxic derivate of chloroquine. Sounds promising. 🤞

Polynesia

How the FL unemployment system is faring -

Hope they get it fixed soon. You’ve got Disney going on this Sunday. If parks stay closed past May 31 you’ll probably have Universal team members being furloughed. At least they’re bypassing the looking for work requirement apparently past May 3. Governor said this should help push them through faster and there’s no jobs out there for all the unemployed.

Lilofan

Hope they get it fixed soon. You’ve got Disney going on this Sunday. If parks stay closed past May 31 you’ll probably have Universal team members being furloughed. At least they’re bypassing the looking for work requirement apparently past May 3. Governor said this should help push them through faster and there’s no jobs out there for all the unemployed.
Universal Orlando full time staff and salaried are getting 80% of weekly pay. They are not going the unemployment route.

Polynesia

Universal Orlando full time staff and salaried are getting 80% of weekly pay. They are not going the unemployment route.
True. But that’s only though May 31. If this lasts for months after that universal may have no choice but to furlough perhaps their hourly workers like they already did their part timers.

Polynesia

I would love for Disney to open. More importantly I do want it to be safe. I know several cast members and their safety is important to me. Florida will be tricky to reopen because of all the tourists from other areas. If there’s another surge it won’t be just in Florida. Those guests will be taking it home with them to their states creating surges there. No one knows what Disney will do, probably not even Disney yet. The best case scenario is all states level off, an effective treatment is found and a vaccine is ready this fall. There’s going to be a risk anytime anything opens. I’m praying for the best case scenario so we can all find a bit of normalcy again.

Polynesia

Thanks. Wasn't aware of 5/31. The mid level and upper level earners at Universal Orlando fared better than same peers at Disney through May 31 with better compensation.
They sure did. For some reason I focused more on the hourly workers. Managers at Disney will struggle. Job seniority was a big plus for the hourly cast members. Hope it all works out for Universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom