Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I wouldn't say huge but some yes. And some of those people won't be with us in a few months unfortunately.

By the way, once a second wave hits us, you can kiss everything goodbye for a long long time.

good thing we are better prepared for a second wave. Medical supplies in position. Treatments available to deal with those that require hospitalizations. More testing available.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Its a plan under serious consideration.
The hardest part may be getting the players to agree to it. These are guys with millions in the bank already and most have pretty nice setups at home. In order to play even just the playoffs you are talking about several months isolated from kids, wives, girlfriends or both a wife and girlfriends in some cases ;) If some players don’t want to do it will the union step in? Will the league allow those guys to travel back, and forth or rent a home locally to live in with their family? If that’s allowed then you break the bubble concept and everyone is back at risk. There’s no way to social distance on the court. You have to be certain the guys you face each night are healthy. Playing in an empty arena is the least of the problems.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I am sorry, I don’t know what you mean. Perhaps I missed some previous context?

I may have misread your statement. I agree that people want to get out as soon as possible, I've seen the protests. I think people are wrong here in thinking that everyone will use caution. But I also think people are wrong in assuming that those who don't want to go back immediately are fearful. That's a blanket statement. I'm not fearful for my own health. I want to do my part to save others so that we can get back to business. And more importantly, so I can get back to the Kona Cafe.

It might not be anything you said -- but there's truly this feeling that concern and caution = hysteria. I know I was accused of that when I started this thread back in February. But come on, at this point, really?

Rteetz

The hardest part may be getting the players to agree to it. These are guys with millions in the bank already and most have pretty nice setups at home. In order to play even just the playoffs you are talking about several months isolated from kids, wives, girlfriends or both a wife and girlfriends in some cases ;) If some players don’t want to do it will the union step in? Will the league allow those guys to travel back, and forth or rent a home locally to live in with their family? If that’s allowed then you break the bubble concept and everyone is back at risk. There’s no way to social distance on the court. You have to be certain the guys you face each night are healthy. Playing in an empty arena is the least of the problems.
I don't disagree. Baseball has looked at similar options. Something like this may be the only way to finish this season otherwise its onto next year.

manmythlegend

I may have misread your statement. I agree that people want to get out as soon as possible, I've seen the protests. I think people are wrong here in thinking that everyone will use caution. But I also think people are wrong in assuming that those who don't want to go back immediately are fearful. That's a blanket statement. I'm not fearful for my own health. I want to do my part to save others so that we can get back to business. And more importantly, so I can get back to the Kona Cafe.

It might not be anything you said -- but there's truly this feeling that concern and caution = hysteria. I know I was accused of that when I started this thread back in February. But come on, at this point, really?

Yeah exactly. Personally, I'm not in the high risk group but am I going to run out and put myself at risk? No. It doesn't make much sense. I will live my life but I will do so with extreme caution until I think the risks have come down.

peter11435

I wouldn't say huge but some yes. And some of those people won't be with us in a few months unfortunately.

By the way, once a second wave hits us, you can kiss everything goodbye for a long long time.
I would say huge. Certainly less than before all this. And not enough to fully support the industry as it was. But still huge.

You’re absolutely right about the risk of a second wave. And that’s why I said what happens after we start to reopen could go many ways. If there is a second wave, people will turn against the government and leaders who led them into it. If things go better than expected people will question the scientist who told them we should wait. And there’s hundreds of scenarios in between

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
good thing we are better prepared for a second wave. Medical supplies in position. Treatments available to deal with those that require hospitalizations. More testing available.
The supplies will catch up...the testing is another thing.

Word is someone just had a temperature tantrum saying it wasn’t needed. The other end of the call was BIPARTISAN congressman, senators and business heads.

You do the math.

Wouldn’t be surprise if one Robert A Iger was on that one.

manmythlegend

I would say huge. Certainly less than before all this. And not enough to fully support the industry as it was. But still huge.

You’re absolutely right about the risk of a second wave. And that’s why I said what happens after we start to reopen could go many ways. If there is a second wave, people will turn against the government and leaders who led them into it. If things go better than expected people will question the scientist who told them we should wait. And there’s hundreds of scenarios in between

I'd be willing to bet cold hard cash that things will NOT "go better than expected."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So far they have. But the last few days there have been a lot of pols with agendas talking about getting things restarted. I haven't seen anyone in the scientific community saying we should re-open.

putting together plans and guidelines around how a reopening needs to
work is much different than just announcing, “have at it. Everything is opened now.”

DisneyDebRob

The owners of the sports teams will want to figure out how to make money... the players don’t get to decide when the team plays.
Players may not have a say but their union does. Which I guess is the players. Believe me, if there’s not a safe plan to play, doesn’t matter what the owners say. Sure you will have football if you want to call it that.. been there done it. Don’t want to see that again.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s you and there are others like you. But there is a huge population that the only reason they aren’t at a restaurant right now is because they can’t be.
I don’t know if that’s completely true. I think if health experts were suggesting not to return to normal but the government said it was OK a lot more people would be hesitant. From a recent poll:
81 percent, say Americans “should continue to social distance for as long as is needed to curb the spread of coronavirus, even if it means continued damage to the economy.” Only 10 percent say Americans “should stop social distancing to stimulate the economy, even if it means increasing the spread of coronavirus.” Nine percent of voters have no opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank the Tank

I think the inherent problem that we have seen through this entire crisis is that there generally isn't a "balanced compromise" position to deal with the coronavirus (and that's tough for me to acknowledge because I'm personally a very pragmatic person overall). As others have pointed out, it's tough enough to maintain social distancing at grocery stores and other essential businesses right now even when they are limiting the number of people going inside. How does that work at a place like WDW in practicality? Even if there is a limiting of capacity, how are the problems really mitigated when a theme park is designed specifically to NOT have social distancing (e.g. queues for rides, restaurants, stores, shows, etc.) and where the primary business proposition for operating a theme park is to completely maximize attendance?

As for attendance at the WDW Resort overall, does having only 1 or 2 theme parks open really change anything? For instance, most people here assume that Epcot would be the last to open if there's a phased opening of WDW, yet Epcot's size, wider walkways, spread-out nature and fewer E-ticket attractions would seem to actually make it the park *best* suited to attempt social distancing to the extent that it's even possible. Is a Magic Kingdom where half of the attractions need to be shut down in a more crowded and physically smaller footprint really more attractive in a phased opening approach than Epcot that could conceivably just be opened as-is? Plus, that goes back to whether there's any financial incentive to a halfway open MK (or any other halfway open park) if TWDC is taking in much less revenue yet has to incur fixed costs on par to a fully open MK.

Anyway, the more I look at it, the more that I don't think there's a "half measure" to opening WDW up again. Its whole business model is based on maximizing capacity in its theme parks while fully filling up its hotels, so limiting capacity while incurring much of the costs of having to run theme parks and hotels as if they were still at full capacity may not make any financial sense.

WDW might be able to open up again if masks, temperature checks and other measures can eliminate the need for social distancing or limiting capacity. However, I just don't see how WDW can open up again if social distancing and limiting capacity would be required. Even beyond the safety issue (which should be first and foremost in everyone's minds), it's hard for me to see how it's financially feasible to run a halfway open WDW. How WDW opens again seems to be an all-or-nothing proposition from my eyes. As a painful as it might be, the financial metrics may point to keeping WDW closed for a longer period of time in order to reopen fully when it's ready as opposed to attempting to open WDW earlier in a limited manner. (To be sure, this is an exercise of looking for the "least bad" choice.)

TrainsOfDisney

Players may not have a say but their union does. Which I guess is the players. Believe me, if there’s not a safe plan to play, doesn’t matter what the owners say. Sure you will have football if you want to call it that.. been there done it. Don’t want to see that again.

Oh it has to be safe yes. The comment I was replying to was suggesting the players wouldn’t want to play right now and leave their fancy homes.

(It got separated by other posts so my comment by itself was confusing.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom