Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

The "non essential" businesses should be allowed to open now if they can operate under the same social distancing and mask regulations as the "essential" business. There's no more risk shopping at Michael's than there is at Publix if you apply the same social distancing. That should be step one in reopening and it should happen very soon.
Again, your assuming that everyone plays by the same game. It won’t work. It’s not working now. Go into any essential business right now and some people aren’t wearing masks or gloves or keeping distance. Please don’t say well then they should be fined to get them to do it. They tried it here in PA and it hasn’t worked.
PA just came out with a order from the governor yesterday saying this Sunday will start mandatory masks for all employees and all customers for all people at essential businesses and they have tilhe right to not let anyone in if not complying. . Sounds
great right? Well when you look into it a bit more.. also says if.. “if the business sells food or medical supplies or medicine you can’t stop them from going in. Well that’s almost all essential business right now so it won’t change anything for anyone that doesn’t want to help stop the spread.
I don’t know the answer but this isn’t it.

Last edited:

Alice a

What if getting everyone back to work too soon results in wave 2 and another lock down. Then the stock market drops way below where it did this time. I don’t think a vaccine or cure is possible by November. Maybe with further testing we hit a home run on an anti-viral to lessen the severity and time of the virus. That’s probably best case.

THIS. I work at the College of Charleston, a medium-sized school in the heart of Charleston, SC, a densely populated area confined to a small peninsula. Our population almost doubles during the school year.

If/when the College reopens in the fall, students from all over the country and the world are going to arrive at one time, dropped into an area that has been mostly quarantined for months.

I am terrified of this causing a second local wave, much worse than the first, especially because living downtown is expensive, so most staff commute into town.

I would much rather be out of work until fast, reliable testing or hopefully a vaccine comes down the pipeline, than get sick because I'm forced into as dangerous situation because my employer decides to take the risk.

We had a pretty nasty measles\mumps outbreak that spread across campus last fall. The college chose not to change anything, and it ran unchecked through the student body until school closed for a month in December.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
THIS. I work at the College of Charleston, a medium-sized school in the heart of the Charleston penninsula, a densely populated area confined to a small peninsula. Our population almost doubles during the school year.

If/when the College reopens in the fall, students from all over the country and the world are going to arrive at one time, dropped into an area that has been mostly quarantined for months.

I am terrified of this causing a second local wave, much worse than the first, especially because living downtown is expensive, and most staff commute into town.

I would much rather be out of work until fast, reliable testing or hopefully a vaccine comes down the pipeline, than get sick because I'm forced into as dangerous situation because my employer decides to take the risk.

We had a pretty nasty measles\mumps outbreak that spread across campus last fall. The college chose not to change anything, and it ran unchecked through the student body until school closed for a month in December.
Good points. I think one of the most overlooked aspects of opening things up is we need to make sure the workers are also safe. That’s why I think it’s a good bet that some social distancing measures continues after we open non-essential stuff. I don’t think any ask for social distancing will work on a college campus. Dorms alone would present an impossible challenge. It’s a real challenge to figure out how things will re-open.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
And others were calling legitimate attention to the hypocrisy of allowing Home Depot/Lowes/etc. to remain open for business but making it illegal to sell a can of paint or garden seeds. State lottery ticket sales are still open and encouraged however. Some may also have been questioning whether it is "safer" to ask a 95 year-old woman to mow her own yard vs. a paid lawn service (which has also been prohibited).
What state is lawn service not considered essential? My lawn service is still coming to my place as usual. With Home Depot/Hardware stores, it is absolutely essential in every way for them to stay open. I am confused by your comment and perhaps it's because I haven't had my coffee.

MissingDisney

What state is lawn service not considered essential? My lawn service is still coming to my place as usual. With Home Depot/Hardware stores, it is absolutely essential in every way for them to stay open. I am confused by your comment and perhaps it's because I haven't had my coffee.
Michigan. Commercial lawn service is non-essential.

carolina_yankee

I work in a college. We are online through 8/25/20 and currently making plans in case the campus is closed through 12/17/20.

If it is acceptable to have educational facilities closed through the end of the year, is it acceptable for Splash Mountain to be closed that long?

Not saying it will be. But it certainly is possible.

I know many colleges are looking at that scenario. How much of it is based on "not able to be open" vs. not wanting to bring in thousands or tens of thousands of teens/early 20s with all that college life usually includes and the possibility of having to send everyone back home if there is a resurgence?

I'm not ruling any scenario out, but a residential school in custody of minors (boarding schools) or young adults not used to be on their own has different issues than theme park complexes where people are by and large not under the care and oversight of the institution beyond "follow the rules" and "buy all our stuff."

Regardless, I think any openings will be further out and slower than most people want. But then I live in NJ where this is a white hot mess, eclipsed only by NY.

Dirk

Disstevefan1

What do you think the permanent differences will be?

Great question. I keep thinking about this and I am not sure what Disney will do. We know there has been pandemics since WDW was opened in 1971, but in that time there has never been one like this that closed all public gatherings.

For sure, initially we will see changes (I don’t know what) but maybe after COVID is down to zero cases and there is a vaccine, maybe WDW will return to its regular MOBBED self.

gmajew

Premium Member
I work in a college. We are online through 8/25/20 and currently making plans in case the campus is closed through 12/17/20.

If it is acceptable to have educational facilities closed through the end of the year, is it acceptable for Splash Mountain to be closed that long?

Not saying it will be. But it certainly is possible.

If they close colleges that long then the price of education needs to drop as it is no where close to the same level of education. I have watched kids now do it and it is a joke. We have to get the kids back in school..... This is a top priority they have to figure out how to do it... Kids have got to be in school....

gmajew

Premium Member
I mean...why wouldn't they? I'm not being snarky...but I'd rather have job security than extra pay for 4 months...but maybe that's just me? For instance, my husband was job searching and has applied to dozens of places because he shared that sentiment but we calculated it out...obviously for the short term he makes more by using unemployment... so why not? He tried to do the right thing but why would he go expose himself and possibly get me or our babies sick....and make beans...when he can wait out these few months and go back to the job he's held for 15 years?

Anyhow...I disagree with you because all employees know that UI is extremely temporary.

I am not saying that they don't know it is temp but you other point is dead on why would they go back before they need to. They don't need to and wont until they have to... which is when it runs out.

drizgirl

Is social distancing a problem in national parks? I've never had much of an issue keeping my space except maybe crossing paths on a hike for a very brief second.
Certain times of the year it can be in the more popular locations. Plus if everything else is closed then the parks will likely have vastly increased traffic.

DisneyDebRob

If they close colleges that long then the price of education needs to drop as it is no where close to the same level of education. I have watched kids now do it and it is a joke. We have to get the kids back in school..... This is a top priority they have to figure out how to do it... Kids have got to be in school....
Agreed. On the same note, wouldn’t prices for admission into Disney have to be adjusted because of them being possibly half open? Reduced shows and attractions? I can’t see Disney offering a 50 or 75 dollar ticket but on the other hand, I don’t know many that would pay the 100 plus that it is now to go.

gmajew

Premium Member
Agreed. On the same note, wouldn’t prices for admission into Disney have to be adjusted because of them being possibly half open? Reduced shows and attractions? I can’t see Disney offering a 50 or 75 dollar ticket but on the other hand, I don’t know many that would pay the 100 plus that it is now to go.

Disney may charge even more for the tickets as you may get a park with 1/4 or the people in it.... Since they will have to socially distance lines etc... think about the upcharge event they can have.... I am not serious about the uncharge event but that is the only way it will reopen soon.... 1/4 capacity with lines spaced for social distancing...

DisneyDebRob

Disney may charge even more for the tickets as you may get a park with 1/4 or the people in it.... Since they will have to socially distance lines etc... think about the upcharge event they can have.... I am not serious about the uncharge event but that is the only way it will reopen soon.... 1/4 capacity with lines spaced for social distancing...
Then I will wait. You could be right but that would be the worst PR move they could possibly do. I know 9/11 was different in mostly all ways but the amount of discounts to get people back was enormous.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not to freak anyone out, but I happened to be on TripAdvisor and there is a general note above the Disney hotels that says “closed through 7/30/2020.” This was for both Poly and Contemporary.

I’m just trying not to throw up right now.

I’m curious where the “nausea” is coming from?
Nope. That’s just not realistic.
Well...it never was before...but those rules of life may no longer hold.
Closing that long is not sustainable. And if they are closed that long, then entire industries that are similar would be closed for that long. You would end a good portion of the economy. Again, not sustainable for that length of time.
So who is gonna volunteer to be the first business/industry to take the chance to “open” and have a major flash come out of it? It would cripple and/or collapse those entities.

Think it will be Disney?
It would be a good way to guarantee a depression with a decades long recovery
We’re already in a deep depression. Amusement parks aside - that was really a certainty in March.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would tend to agree...

However nothing they do is “limited” and you just cannot “distance” a large amusement park.

gmajew

Premium Member
Then I will wait. You could be right but that would be the worst PR move they could possibly do. I know 9/11 was different in mostly all ways but the amount of discounts to get people back was enormous.

But why discount if you cannot have enough people in to make money? That is the question every business is going to ask that is open to the public.... So retail entertainment etc how open do you need to be how much of your occupancy do you need to use to make it worth while to be open! Not just cover cost but make a profit. As that is what business is all about.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Since I have the burden of being intimately aware of the 9/11 era thinking...I have to point out it that there was a completely different management philosophy then...and the clientele was more closely identified with the “late 20th century”, than whatever “this” century is yielding now.

The Mom

Premium Member

Back then, they wanted to bring the parks up to full capacity as quickly as possible. That is not the case now. They do not want the parks to be crowded (or will not be allowed to have them be crowded) due to an attempt to maintain social distancing. Then they will most likely start gradually increasing crowd size until they are back to "normal" or perhaps the new normal. We do not know when that will be, or what it will entail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom