Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

manmythlegend

It is definitely not a majority preference at the federal or state levels. So I’m not too concerned about that.

Federal doesn't control what happens on the state level though. So you're at the mercy of what each state's leader decides. California and Florida appear to be on opposite ends of the spectrum there so sort of interesting for a company like Disney.

manmythlegend

Of course not. There might be a few unique places like some of the viewing areas at Grand Canyon but even then it could be easily controlled.

Is there any evidence that this is spread in outdoor environments? (I’m not counting outdoor sports stadiums or amphitheater’s...)

I read something about it possibly staying airborne for 30 seconds. No idea whether that's scientifically confirmed or not though.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Federal doesn't control what happens on the state level though. So you're at the mercy of what each state's leader decides. California and Florida appear to be on opposite ends of the spectrum there so sort of interesting for a company like Disney.

States are smart. Even the northeast is already putting plans together. And the feds release their recommendations for everyone tomorrow.

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree with you but that seems to be the preference for many people that are currently making decisions. Better a Great Depression 2 than unnecessary deaths.
I’m not hearing that from the politicians charged with making the decisions. Several governors are working on guidelines and timelines for ending stay at home orders and re-opening businesses.

DisneyCane

As someone who works in Florida hospital lab, I can say that you have all of this pretty much correct-
13 minutes per test, 1 test at a time per instrument, about the correct price per test (does NOT include the instruments, which we also run Flu A&B, RSV, and Strep Rapid on).

But what so many do not recognize is the rapid test is a complicated procedure with 3 minute warming period, a precised mixing time, and a 10 minute incubation, for which you need (in most states, FL being one) Qualified Medical Lab Technologists (someone with a MLT degree, certified and licensed by the state) to be able to administer these tests. These are not waived tests, and the byproducts of these tests can be highly infectious (since the test method amplifies the RNA in the sample) and said byproducts must be sealed and placed in large, leakproof, puncture proof, medical hazardous waste disposal units. All MLTs that are running covid on the analyzer, (and everyone nearby) are doing so while wearing a N95 mask, preferably under the BioHood. Not to mention all the maintenance, QA and QC that is involved in running these instruments. That's just the part I know.

There is also the collection of the swab specimen (an invasive and unpleasant insertion into your nasal cavity that I wouldn't want someone who wasn't a medical professional to do), not to mention the most important part- the ordering of, and resulting to, a qualified Doctor- who instructs you on what to do specifically, regarding your health, when you get your results.

This is just NOT something you can put in off to the side at bag check by the Parks.

I would imagine that when a park employee takes your temperature and the result does not match the criteria Disney sets, you'll be handed a flyer with the information of the 2 or 3 nearest hospitals or clinics nearby, and sent on your way with "have a magical day."

I'm sure the Disney Co has no interest collecting, storing, or having to disseminate any part of every guest's HIPPA protected "medical history" which is what they would be doing if they tested people before they entered.
No way.
Thank you for sharing these details. It really helps to get an understanding of what is involved in "simple" tests. After reading your post I can predict that there is zero chance that Disney will run any kind of test beyond possibly temperature screening. Maybe they'll provide a Minnie van to the nearest testing center if somebody is above the temp limit.

manmythlegend

I’m not hearing that from the politicians charged with making the decisions. Several governors are working on guidelines and timelines for ending stay at home orders and re-opening businesses.

Yes states are putting in plans to re-open but they will likely do so in phases and mass gatherings, which Disney would be, are going to be last and at the very end of the plans.

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyCane

Do we have a good idea of the risk of reinfection? Genuinely curious.
I don't know if anything definitive has been released.

There is definitely nothing definitive. A lot of what I've read is speculation that it is a reactivation but not reinfection. I think it will take months of study to figure it out.

There's also the possibility that those patients had the viral load drop below the detectable level but weren't completely rid of the virus yet and then it reproduced enough to be detected.

Obviously it is key to find out if recovered patients have immunity and for how long.

DVCakaCarlF

Well you aren't paying attention then, no offense. Yes states are putting in plans to re-open but they will likely do so in phases and mass gatherings, which Disney would be, are going to be last and at the very end of the plans.
You forget that it’s an election year...every politician cares about nothing more than getting re elected...the current administration will find a way to:
1) Get everyone back to work
2) Get the stock market back above 28,000
3) Introduce Vaccine/cure or assume herd immunity

GoofGoof

Premium Member
States are smart. Even the northeast is already putting plans together. And the feds release their recommendations for everyone tomorrow.
I think it will be sooner than later that we start to see a slow re-opening of things. I still think social distancing will be suggested. Today grocery stores are open since they are essential but many still have capacity limits and ask you to wear a mask and stay 6 feet apart. As more “non-essential“ businesses start to open I think it will still be under similar restrictions at least at first. Large gatherings could still be restricted for a further period of time, maybe months. Nobody calling the shots wants to jump the gun and get accused of making things worse. I think if things loosen up and there’s not a major 2nd wave for 2 or 3 months we could see large group gatherings by the fall in some capacity. That’s a big if.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes states are putting in plans to re-open but they will likely do so in phases and mass gatherings, which Disney would be, are going to be last and at the very end of the plans.
. Of course openings will happen reasonably and in stages. That doesn’t mean the people making the decisions would prefer a Great Depression 2 rather than risk deaths from Covid-19. That was the post I was responding to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom