Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You forget that it’s an election year...every politician cares about nothing more than getting re elected...the current administration will find a way to:
1) Get everyone back to work
2) Get the stock market back above 28,000
3) Introduce Vaccine/cure or assume herd immunity
What if getting everyone back to work too soon results in wave 2 and another lock down. Then the stock market drops way below where it did this time. I don’t think a vaccine or cure is possible by November. Maybe with further testing we hit a home run on an anti-viral to lessen the severity and time of the virus. That’s probably best case.

natatomic

Thank you for sharing these details. It really helps to get an understanding of what is involved in "simple" tests. After reading your post I can predict that there is zero chance that Disney will run any kind of test beyond possibly temperature screening. Maybe they'll provide a Minnie van to the nearest testing center if somebody is above the temp limit.

Don’t know how the minnie van drivers will feel about being on the front line of dealing with possible covid-positive guests, especially in the cramped quarters of a car. 😳

(My money is on this NOT being how the flagged guests are transported)

Last edited:

DVCakaCarlF

What if getting everyone back to work too soon results in wave 2 and another lock down. Then the stock market drops way below where it did this time. I don’t think a vaccine or cure is possible by November. Maybe with further testing we hit a home run on an anti-viral to lessen the severity and time of the virus. That’s probably best case.
There will likely be some sort of “rebound” of the virus, but it won’t be as severe.

The administration
Don’t know how the minnie van drivers will feel about being on the front line of dealing with possible covid-positive guests, especially in the cramped quarters of a car. 😳
They will have a Reedy Creek Ambulance there on standby before that happens.

DVCakaCarlF

There is no way the current administration will let it drag out this long...they’ll isolate parts of the country before that happens.

DisneyCane

I think it will be sooner than later that we start to see a slow re-opening of things. I still think social distancing will be suggested. Today grocery stores are open since they are essential but many still have capacity limits and ask you to wear a mask and stay 6 feet apart. As more “non-essential“ businesses start to open I think it will still be under similar restrictions at least at first. Large gatherings could still be restricted for a further period of time, maybe months. Nobody calling the shots wants to jump the gun and get accused of making things worse. I think if things loosen up and there’s not a major 2nd wave for 2 or 3 months we could see large group gatherings by the fall in some capacity. That’s a big if.
The "non essential" businesses should be allowed to open now if they can operate under the same social distancing and mask regulations as the "essential" business. There's no more risk shopping at Michael's than there is at Publix if you apply the same social distancing. That should be step one in reopening and it should happen very soon.

LittleBuford

The "non essential" businesses should be allowed to open now if they can operate under the same social distancing and mask regulations as the "essential" business. There's no more risk shopping at Michael's than there is at Publix if you apply the same social distancing. That should be step one in reopening and it should happen very soon.

The point is to discourage people from making needless shopping trips—and hence being around others for longer than necessary—in the first place. Wearing masks and keeping your distance may mitigate the risk, but they don’t remove it entirely, and that risk grows the more time you spend in public settings.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Thank you for sharing these details. It really helps to get an understanding of what is involved in "simple" tests. After reading your post I can predict that there is zero chance that Disney will run any kind of test beyond possibly temperature screening. Maybe they'll provide a Minnie van to the nearest testing center if somebody is above the temp limit.
To provide a Minnie van to shuttle the guests to a testing center is not realistic. If 10K guests show up at MK which is a very slow day and perhaps 100 guests temperature is above the limit, it is not realistic to think Disney has at least 100 Minnie vans just waiting around idle. Universal Singapore takes the guests temperature before they temporarily closed. If a guest temperature exceeded limits, the guest was denied entry.

Bartattack

So, yesterday our national security board (Belgium) had a meeting to re-evaluate our lockdown. (they do this every wednesday). The lockdown was extended untill may 3rd. Some shops (garden centers and DIY) can open again but under the same restrictions as supermarkets etc.. (social distancing, only certain amout of people, etc..). All large gatherings, festivals, concerts etc are cancelled untill August 31. Schools will probably open again in some way or another on may 4th.

Jwink

The issue we keep battling and my attorneys keep seeking answers is when we call people back do they have to come back? The answer we have been provided no... so the extra 600 a week the gov is giving on top of the normal unemployment for 12 weeks is causing most hourly workers to make an annualized wage of 50k. No server or cook is coming back to work.
I mean...why wouldn't they? I'm not being snarky...but I'd rather have job security than extra pay for 4 months...but maybe that's just me? For instance, my husband was job searching and has applied to dozens of places because he shared that sentiment but we calculated it out...obviously for the short term he makes more by using unemployment... so why not? He tried to do the right thing but why would he go expose himself and possibly get me or our babies sick....and make beans...when he can wait out these few months and go back to the job he's held for 15 years?

Anyhow...I disagree with you because all employees know that UI is extremely temporary.

Lilofan

I mean...why wouldn't they? I'm not being snarky...but I'd rather have job security than extra pay for 4 months...but maybe that's just me? For instance, my husband was job searching and has applied to dozens of places because he shared that sentiment but we calculated it out...obviously for the short term he makes more by using unemployment... so why not? He tried to do the right thing but why would he go expose himself and possibly get me or our babies sick....and make beans...when he can wait out these few months and go back to the job he's held for 15 years?

Anyhow...I disagree with you because all employees know that UI is extremely temporary.
I would think extra pay through unemployment/stimulus weekly pay, stay home for 4 months - risk of covid19 exposure - low
Go around town applying for jobs, potentially making less $$ working with immediate public during pandemic, risk of covid19 exposure and possibly get infected then in turn infecting my loved ones - not so low..
Just my opinion..

Jwink

I would think extra pay through unemployment/stimulus weekly pay, stay home for 4 months - risk of covid19 exposure - low
Go around town applying for jobs, potentially making less $$ working with immediate public during pandemic, risk of covid19 exposure and possibly get infected then in turn infecting my loved ones - not so low..
Just my opinion..
Yeah that is what I was saying. Someone above said 'if the cooks etc are getting paid more in UI then why wouldn't they stay home when Disney calls them back?'....I was saying I think they would go back when they're called for job security. My husband was going to try to get a job but right now UI is paying him more than finding a temp job... but when Disney calls him back he's going because he loves his job. I'm saying UI is temporary so I don't see many people choosing a very limited (4 month) span over job security....like they aren't going to decide not to go back to work if they're called in 3 months...just so they can collect UI for an extra month.

JoeCamel

Yeah that is what I was saying. Someone above said 'if the cooks etc are getting paid more in UI then why wouldn't they stay home when Disney calls them back?'....I was saying I think they would go back when they're called for job security. My husband was going to try to get a job but right now UI is paying him more than finding a temp job... but when Disney calls him back he's going because he loves his job. I'm saying UI is temporary so I don't see many people choosing a very limited (4 month) span over job security....like they aren't going to decide not to go back to work if they're called in 3 months...just so they can collect UI for an extra month.
Major props to your husband, sounds like you got a real hustler there. Good on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom