Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
FYI, they did update the projections today.

Thanks for the heads up!

And Florida's projections were majorly updated. Their crest of the curve was moved back from mid May to the beginning of May. Also, there are now projections that Florida will run short of ICU beds for everyone expected to need critical care.

New York area is going to peak around Apr 10.

If you look closely at the U.S. and state projections closely, you all will see why Jun 1 is being thrown around as the beginning of getting back to normal. By then, enough people will have had it for a significant amount of herd immunity and there is little chance of a second wave that will overwhelm healthcare.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So...city leadership are getting tired of people going out:

Someone that works at the local nuclear power plant said there's talk of them having employees stay a couple nights at a time. There's bunks, showers, and kitchens there for them.

I think it's fine to post something like this? If not, nuke it.

Pretty much seeing that in all these areas. It's the same mindset behind the actions taken on the DC Mall to discourage the crowds. Our local HOA had to put up fencing etc around the playgrounds.

Personally I feel it's overboard... I wish it could be left to individuals to police themselves... but I figure its also a proactive liability move. They can't control the real-time crowds and they can't keep them clean to. the level needed... so punt and 'keep people out'.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up!

And Florida's projections were majorly updated. Their crest of the curve was moved back from mid May to the beginning of May. Also, there are now projections that Florida will run short of ICU beds for everyone expected to need critical care.

New York area is going to peak around Apr 10.

If you look closely at the U.S. and state projections closely, you all will see why Jun 1 is being thrown around as the beginning of getting back to normal. By then, enough people will have had it for a significant amount of herd immunity and there is little chance of a second wave that will overwhelm healthcare.

Second wave of Spanish Flu was attributed to troop movement based on WW1. Luckily, we don't really have that to worry about - but we do have air travel (which they didn't in those times). I really, really, hope you are right.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I wonder if an initial re-opening could involve only local or state passholders?

Based on the electronic mail I got from @realBobChapek the initial re-opening is this weekend and involves me. I will be wearing a GoPro. You guys can text me your ride requests. First come, first serve. My dining itinerary will also be determined by the masses. Fear not. I've been working on my foodie vocab. I will do such a good job that you'll feel like you're eating the mac and cheese from the child's area at Boma yourself. Further, I've been working on a wide array of descriptions for the oppressive heat and humidity that don't involve cussing.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Keep that order in place through June 10th and see how many people are just going to start taking their chances and break the order.....and good luck if your a small business and there is no additional help from the state or federal government.

Stated this many times previously, these shelter in place orders are a solution for the short term (which I support in many cases), but not for the long term. Cannot be in place months without causing some sort of civil unrest. They must find a better long term solution to take on this virus.
Where would people go? If nothing is open will people just start having parties and gatherings at their homes?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Where would people go? If nothing is open will people just start having parties and gatherings at their homes?

It is an insane order. Absolutely insane. And I fully support the one my county is currently under and have been acting accordingly. They need to find a better solution.

DCBaker

Premium Member
comfort-crowds-62.jpg
EUYZd4cXkAA8c63.jpeg

Last edited:

21stamps

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Keep that order in place through June 10th and see how many people are just going to start taking their chances and break the order.....and good luck if your a small business and there is no additional help from the state or federal government.

Stated this many times previously, these shelter in place orders are a solution for the short term (which I support in many cases), but not for the long term. Cannot be in place months without causing some sort of civil unrest. They must find a better long term solution to take on this virus.

Virginia's spread lags behind the rest of the country and it's effects are spread out. It isn't even until actually Jun 15 that the number of projected deaths per day become single digits.

Now, that projection was made with no Stay At Home Order. Now that one is going into effect, there is a better chance for the governor to rescind the order sooner than Jun 10.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Once again, some of you are continuing to make political posts. I understand the nature of this discussion can easily lean that way, but this is NOT the place to do that.

We have a dedicated section for politics, so please post there.
Politics and Social Issues

If anyone continues to make political posts in the wrong section they will be prevented from posting in this thread.

Thanks.

disney4life2008

Better lock down the entire state til July 21st.
That’s easier than dealing with the problem locally. 🙄

What I see in this picture is people on cell phones taking pictues so they can post on social media. I wonder if this was 1990, would people stay home? Here is the issue, the largest city the country, it is impossible to tell people to stay in. Here in Orlando, looking out my window there is the same amount of traffic at 4pm as there was 2 weeks ago.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
There may be no greater chance getting infected on a cruise ship if they handle things properly, but psychologically I would still feel less comfortable since you are essentially trapped there. It’s probably not totally rational but it’s how I think a lot of people will feel.

I already had huge issues with cruise ships and things like norovirus. This does not increase the appeal for me.

celluloid

I already had huge issues with cruise ships and things like norovirus. This does not increase the appeal for me.

Yeah, there are other factors with the cruise line situation too. Besides the spreadability being higher(let's pretend its about the same as most Walt Disney World areas) you would be stuck if your condition worsens before the end of the trip. There are typically medical facilities on board but if for some reason things got really bad, it is pretty grim and overwhelming. This is not just for Covid, but for other things as mentioned.

Also, Life of Brian and Meaning of Life are superior to Holy Grail for me. I think it is that Holy Grail is the most quotable and less crude(not by a lot) by some groups not that it is necessarily funnier to many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom