Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polynesia

And yet, both on the Florida website and it's COVID19 portal, I can't find any information about any county's or town's stay at home orders. I can't even find the most recent EO regarding DeSantis's Southern Florida lockdown.

Maybe it's there and I just keep missing it.
I don’t see it either. As there are orders and restrictions the peak date is probably not accurate.

Polynesia

Let me explain something for those who aren’t dealing with layoffs and furloughs either for themselves or for their employees-

A furloughed employee still receives their normal benefits, retains their seniority.

A laid off employee loses it all.
I thought that, too. Sea World employers were furloughed but got a notice that their benefits expire on March 31. It’s a bit confusing.

EOD K9

Who are they going to get to go on those cruises? Maybe if they come out with an antibody test that confirms if you had the sickness and are now immune. Outside of that nobody is getting on a cruise ship while this is still raging.
DCL canceled my April cruise and I have another pending mid-summer. Even if it DCL does not cancel, I still may not feel comfortable sailing.

Lilofan

I thought that, too. Sea World employers were furloughed but got a notice that their benefits expire on March 31. It’s a bit confusing.
Let me explain something for those who aren’t dealing with layoffs and furloughs either for themselves or for their employees-

A furloughed employee still receives their normal benefits, retains their seniority.

A laid off employee loses it all.
That's incorrect. If the employee who is furloghed, and is not a member of a union then all bets are off and normal benefits and seniority is at the company discretion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Each state is going through its own thing. The University of Washington has put together these projections for each state: http://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

You can see that they estimate New York will have its peak mid-April, but Florida not until early May and Virginia not until mid-May.

EDIT: They just updated the models!! Ignore the below...

Those projections are almost a week old at this point. Upthread I pointed out how Florida's projections were off (a significant number of more deaths have happened than the model predicted).

It's getting to the point where those models start becoming more unhelpful than helpful.

Wish they were continuingly updating them.

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
I still stand by the fact that increased suicide rates are going to be a major thing if we continue to let fear takeover. I’m very close myself.
Please reach out to someone you know and let them know how you are feeling. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, there are numbers to contact in almost every country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines I know this is really hard, but we can get through this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
DCL canceled my April cruise and I have another pending mid-summer. Even if it DCL does not cancel, I still may not feel comfortable sailing.
There may be no greater chance getting infected on a cruise ship if they handle things properly, but psychologically I would still feel less comfortable since you are essentially trapped there. It’s probably not totally rational but it’s how I think a lot of people will feel.

hopemax

Those projections are almost a week old at this point. Upthread I pointed out how Florida's projections were off (a significant number of more deaths have happened than the model predicted).

It's getting to the point where those models start becoming more unhelpful than helpful.

Wish they were continuingly updating them.
FYI, they did update the projections today.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I need to laugh.

Biggest Decision right now: "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" vs a "Best Of" including Lumberjack, Dead Parrot, Argument Clinic, Spanish Inquisition, and Cleese jumping the Channel and eating a cathedral.

Why isn't there a Monty Python land at Disney?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I agree we can’t go on like this forever. 12-18 months until a vaccine is too long. On the flip side anyone who thought a few days ago we would be going back to normal by Easter was also kidding themselves. Realistically there’s very little hope that we will open everything up May 1. I think we are going to need to see a peak then a steady decline in cases for 3-4 weeks before restrictions are loosened. If this peaks in a few weeks mid May would be a realistic target. June 10 seems a little odd? Why not June 1? I do think part of the reason for not committing to a specific metric is that the goal posts are moving and that’s dictated by the virus and our growing knowledge of how it works and spreads.

Yeah, I never thought Easter was going to happen. I've been prepared for everything to be shut down until May and feel like the parks will start coming back online in mid-May.

I also think many of these governors haven't even set up goal posts. As a Project Manager, that drives me crazy :p

celluloid

I imagine when the time comes it will be department and case by case. They would be willing to Furlough certain lower park jobs or higher skilled ones harder to replace, than maxed out front of the line roles they can just replace in the future. Entertainment, for example typically is the firt thing cut.
I would imagine this is the end of quite a few things, but for some reason venues such as the Beauty and The Beast show are the first thing to come to mind. Not the highest Guest Satisfaction and quite a big crew. A large crew for a show of that nature that they can either rehome where they can or consolodate/remove.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am not an HR director and won’t pretend to know all of the laws & norms surrounding furloughs.. but to lose seniority wouldn’t make sense.

Furloughs vs. Layoffs
There are four key differences between a furlough and a layoff.

• Furloughed employees have an expectation that they will return to work. Typically, an employer will give furloughed employees either a specific date or a specific condition for resuming duties.
  • Furloughed employees typically retain their benefits. Most notably, employees usually retain access to any health and life insurance during the furlough.
  • A furloughed public employee retains their employment rights. Government employees cannot be fired or replaced without process. For a public employee who has been furloughed, rather than laid off, this means that they have a presumptive right to return to that position if they choose and it exists.
  • A furlough is relatively seamless. Laying off employees requires significant process, as does hiring new staff. This can be time consuming and expensive. By contrast, a furloughed employee can come and go fairly easily.
I know it doesn’t say so here, but furlough in the past was typically in reference to a government job. Not exclusively, but typically. This is a unique situation where we envision a lot of these jobs coming back as soon as it’s safe to re-open so a lay-off makes no sense.

trainplane3

So...city leadership are getting tired of people going out:

Someone that works at the local nuclear power plant said there's talk of them having employees stay a couple nights at a time. There's bunks, showers, and kitchens there for them.

I think it's fine to post something like this? If not, nuke it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I like the two to three weeks out and then reevaluate the scenario and adjust as needed even on a daily basis.

Which is exactly what VA did... Exec Order 53 - Was March 13, 2020. Exec Order 55 - which is today's order is wait for it... just over 2 weeks since the last one!

The last one wasn't enough, so they are adjusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom