Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

If this is how bad it is in Miami-Dade County, Florida's most vaccinated county, and IMO, the one with most mask wearing (for Florida), I am horrified to imagine how other counties are doing. I'm also scared at the thought that every weekend, every route between Miami and Orlando is a traffic nightmare full of Miamians going to the parks and Orlandoans going to South Beach and Wynwood.
Watch the 10am presser from Ocala, if they take a victory lap you know it's going to be really bad this winter

DisneyCane

If this is how bad it is in Miami-Dade County, Florida's most vaccinated county, and IMO, the one with most mask wearing (for Florida), I am horrified to imagine how other counties are doing. I'm also scared at the thought that every weekend, every route between Miami and Orlando is a traffic nightmare full of Miamians going to the parks and Orlandoans going to South Beach and Wynwood.
How "bad" is it in Miami-Dade? Are the hospitals filling up? All the article says is that Omicron is rapidly replacing Delta as the dominant variant and that it appears to account for 80% of cases.

On masking, Broward says "hold my beer." If Omicron generally causes mild disease and vaccination makes severe disease even less likely then no matter how many "cases" there are, Miami-Dade shouldn't get "bad" at all unless we are worried about mild illness now?

ToTBellHop

Trying to think this through (just my opinions). It appears the vaccinated are largely protected from severe illness and death from omicron (especially if boosted). The rest are hellbent on not getting the shots.

I presume it will soon be very busy in hospitals but that such a contagious virus will also be able to trigger the immune response in the anti-vaxxers. It is a sad state but I suspect this is the only way to actually get high enough immunity in the community at large.

The most important thing for those who believe science is to get boosted if it’s time and to vaccinate your kids if eligible. Not much can be done otherwise.

JoeCamel

Trying to think this through (just my opinions). It appears the vaccinated are largely protected from severe illness and death from omicron (especially if boosted). The rest are hellbent on not getting the shots.

I presume it will soon be very busy in hospitals but that such a contagious virus will also be able to trigger the immune response in the anti-vaxxers. It is a sad state but I suspect this is the only way to actually get high enough immunity in the community at large.

The most important thing for those who believe science is to get boosted if it’s time and to vaccinate your kids if eligible. Not much can be done otherwise.
Is anyone saying if you get Omicron you are immune to Delta or Alpha? I don't think they will survive the cure and have clear sailing but that is the convoluted logic they are using. No infection with the thing that does provide immunity to all the variants so far seems to be the best course of action, that unknown response is not worth banking on. The fear of the unknown response is an excuse not to get vax'ed right? Glad both sides of the street are being kept clean.

correcaminos

Never had a crepe in my life but I will chow down on the overpriced reheated caveman size turkey leg in the parks!
I love crepes and while I didn't try the sweet ones from this one (I was alone and didn't want to pig out on 2), I tried a savory one and it was barely okay. The cheese tasted incredibly salty and they didn't bother to take the time to properly heat it all. So the center was kind of gross and not warm. Just glad that the line was super short as it was a let down. I tossed about half of it.

ToTBellHop

Is anyone saying if you get Omicron you are immune to Delta or Alpha? I don't think they will survive the cure and have clear sailing but that is the convoluted logic they are using. No infection with the thing that does provide immunity to all the variants so far seems to be the best course of action, that unknown response is not worth banking on. The fear of the unknown response is an excuse not to get vax'ed right? Glad both sides of the street are being kept clean.
I’ve given up on the anti-vaxxers after all this time. We all tested positive for the virus recently. Were sniffly for 24 hours. That was it. So I know we are protected. Beyond that, honestly, I just can’t. That worry is replaced with my kids’ school or the high school where my wife works possibly getting shot up.

correcaminos

I’ve given up on the anti-vaxxers after all this time. We all tested positive for the virus recently. Were sniffly for 24 hours. That was it. So I know we are protected. Beyond that, honestly, I just can’t. That worry is replaced with my kids’ school or the high school where my wife works possibly getting shot up.
Yeah the latter is very real issue too. I have an 8th grader whose school was damaged by past challenges. I literally list sleep over this one. Every time the phone rings today I'm on edge.

I haven't totally given up on anti-vaxxers. Depends on why. I've gotten through to holdouts. Though using myself as the guinea pig really helped some. I might sound snotty or mean here at times but it's venting and I try to always go in with compassion.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I just texted my doctor friends, let's find out.
Updated, and remember, it's anecdotal.

They're finding more cases, including for one of them telling me that there was one day where 100% of the suspected cases were positive, and were Omicron. Not so much a ratio of vaccinated vs non-vaccinated, as omicron is attacking them equally.

However, for them, only a small handful of omicron cases require hospitalization. Most are sent home.

Also, flu cases are back, with some covid suspects ended up being Influenza A.

ToTBellHop

They're finding more cases, including for one of them telling me that there was one day where 100% of the suspected cases were positive, and were Omicron. Not so much a ratio of vaccinated vs non-vaccinated, as omicron is attacking them equally.

However, for them, only a small handful of omicron cases require hospitalization. Most are sent home.

I saw the flu vaccine is not a good match for the predominant strain at this point. T cell immunity will still help the vaccinated but…crap.

DisneyCane

Thanks for the update. The anecdotal evidence so far is that Omicron doesn't cause serious illness in as high a percentage of cases compared to prior variants. If that goes from anecdotal to empirical it will be a very good thing.

Reactions: mkt

Touchdown

Thanks for the update. The anecdotal evidence so far is that Omicron doesn't cause serious illness in as high a percentage of cases compared to prior variants. If that goes from anecdotal to empirical it will be a very good thing.
That’s only if the decrease in severity is higher then the increase in infectiousness.

For instance let’s say delta causes hospitalizations in 20% of cases. Now let’s say omercron is less severe and halves the chance of hospitalizations (10%.). However if omercron is 8x more infectious then omercron will increase hospitalizations 4x.

DisneyCane

That’s only if the decrease in severity is higher then the increase in infectiousness.

For instance let’s say delta causes hospitalizations in 20% of cases. Now let’s say omercron is less severe and halves the chance of hospitalizations (10%.). However if omercron is 8x more infectious then omercron will increase hospitalizations 4x.
If Omicron was 8x more infectious than Delta wouldn't that make it the most contact virus ever known to man?

Hopefully the hospitalizations are less than half of Delta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom