Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

Doesn't matter.
A certain portion of the population is going to make their own risk assessment whether we like it or not.
It's their body, they have every right to.
In regards to my body my rights, etc, someone in NC set up a fake funeral home advertisement on a truck " Don't Get Vaccinated , Wilmore Funeral Home " and drove around to showcase the slogan.

Incomudro

3. Society has a right to ostracize them. And for nonessential activities, it’s high time we do just that.
If the vaccines work, there's no reason to ostracize.
I'm not afraid of them, are you?
Seasonal flue kills tens of thousands in this country annually.
Do yo want to ostracize those who don't get seasonal flu vaccines?
We don't do that. (not yet anyway)

Vegas Disney Fan

When’s the last time the flu disrupted the worlds economy? Shut down travel? Caused us to all wear masks? Filled hospitals and caused us to restrict patient care?

Not exactly apples to apples.

I trust the vaccine to protect me but I’d still like the world to get back to normal.

lazyboy97o

I'm triple vaxed - jumped the line to get my first shot last April, got my booster a couple of weeks ago - I'll scan my card and display it here if you'd like.
I'm giving you the argument of those who do not want to get vaccinated.
As for "we would have seen it by now" regarding the Phizer and Moderna shots, they'll point to the J&J issue and say we may see problems with the Phizer and Moderna shots a year from now, years from now, decades from now.
A vaccine isn’t something that stays in your body.

Just because you’re wearing a helmet doesn’t mean you should intentionally get hit with a baseball. Every exposure is a roll of the dice and more exposure means prolonging the situation.

Last I checked, tens of thousands is less than hundreds of thousands, not to mention all of the other issues that are more serious with a higher rate of incidence.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just saw this story.
How can we tell other people that they don't have a right to have similar concerns about the possibility of something similar turning up in Moderna or Phizer vaccine recipients some time in the future?
How can we insist that they must get vaccinated, it's their body - they have the right to make their own risk assessments.

These blood clots are not showing up "in the future" they show up within days of getting vaccine. We have know about this risk since J&J first started being used. If you got any of the vaccines 3 or more months ago, then you aren't suddenly going to get side effects.

mmascari

I understand how they work as a public health tool, even though these particular vaccines haven't shown themselves to be as effective at that even in countries where the vaccination rate was very high.
You're never going to get compliance much beyond what we have now, particularly with the just released J&J story.
Clearly you do not. Just based on today’s incorrect posts.

As I posted the other day, we will get there eventually. For some value of eventually. Might be 5, 10, or 20 years, but we’ll get there eventually. The longer we coddle the unvaccinated and allow them to dictate, the longer it will take.

Anyone have a good COVID statistics source for Chile? Along with any information about how much they interact with their neighbors? The graph I saw looked like they hit 85% vaccinated and their recent wave was way below the earlier one.

correcaminos

Two years later and we're still having to explain why herd immunity is important.

I feel like we're all banging our heads against the wall in unison.
Head Desk Laughing GIF

DisneyCane

Austria and Canada (via provincial patchwork) are the closest I can think of. Portugal had wide success without needing to take that step. Once Austria’s mandate has taken effect, we’ll see if it helps. I agree the western world as a whole has failed in various stages of misery on that spectrum. Political will and market fear have gotten in the way. I’d like to see if United has better flight performance/availability due to less staff being out sick. I’d rather businesses act and not have any level of government get in the way, except for their own employees the way the executive branch did. But that hasn’t worked thus far, and I struggle internally with how comfortable I am with government at any level now getting involved into the private sector for the sake of public health. I think they need to do something, but how long those fingers might get into the rest of our lives does worry me, I fully admit. Even as I push for business to act, and strongly, in this regard. From “passports” for customers in tight, non-essential settings like theaters and bars, to work requirements. My comment was more on boardroom fortitude than the government, at least for now. Except where they are the employer.
Portugal I think is the highest vaccinated percentage country that I know of (I think 84% fully vaccinated) and currently they are at 40 cases per 100k daily. Yes that is a lot lower than the US is currently but based upon the CDC definition that would still be in the "moderate" community spread range.

Based upon the data available, it doesn't appear that high vaccination rates get to COVID zero or near zero which is what was being "sold" by the experts when they first became available.

I believe there would be fewer holdouts if they were honest about what the vaccines actually do and "sell" the personal protection aspect.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member

Chip Chipperson

Wastewater sample collector. Now that's a job I don't envy

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Two years later and we're still having to explain why herd immunity is important.

I feel like we're all banging our heads against the wall in unison.
I stopped doing that a long time ago in my one woman show since no one seemed to give a damn. The only surprising thing about any of this is that some people STILL remain in this thread who wouldn’t know a fire if it burned them to death. The sheer determination to continually reframe this pandemic will one day be the stuff of legend. I mean, not here but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom