Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

Orange County has moved to 'high.'

Of course it did. I quite literally just booked my flights, spending the credit from 2020 before it expires.

I suppose it doesn't matter (to my flights), they're far enough away that we will probably be done this wave, had another, and be on to a third by the time we travel. Maybe a fourth even.

Rolling the dice for timing like @helenabear had between waves. 😄

Bob Harlem

Florida Hospitalization hasn't moved too much this week either, slightly higher, but still lower than anytime before October.
2.6%

Cases are shooting up in a lot of places, but data from South Africa this morning in a conference from South African Health Miniser Joe Phalla is optimistic with severity though. So far Delta had about a 19.0% hospitalization rate, and after 5 weeks of data in South Africa, Omicron is winding up about 1.7%. It's less amongst all age groups as well. So hopefully that holds elsewhere. Positivity and cases will likely skyrocket over the next weeks as it spreads, but start to slow in about 3 weeks judging from South African data.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the weekly report from the Florida DOH. The number of new deaths reported from the last report to this report is 194.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 5.23.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 5.24.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 5.24.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 5.24.24 PM.png

Data for Orange County -

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 5.24.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 5.24.53 PM.png

correcaminos

Mmmm, did you leave a little something behind? You were in on the vax before almost everyone, I think you know things......

Maybe you got programmed to spread so your vax company sells more vax? ;) I'm sure it must be something like that...
Shhhhhhhhhhh

Of course it did. I quite literally just booked my flights, spending the credit from 2020 before it expires.

I suppose it doesn't matter (to my flights), they're far enough away that we will probably be done this wave, had another, and be on to a third by the time we travel. Maybe a fourth even.

Rolling the dice for timing like @helenabear had between waves. 😄
My next trip is mid March if that helps you plan 🤣

hopemax

Who knew we would ever get to a point in this country when following the science would be considered “group think”. How we have fallen.
Like I said a thousand pages ago... Being able to correctly identify hazards and miracles is eventually important to long term survival. You can win a blackjack hand you aren't supposed to and also lose on a hand that you think is a sure thing based on the dealer's cards. That doesn't change the overall probabilities and both the house and the full-time players know this. But Vegas makes a ton of money on players that lose their shirts trusting their gut and not the probability math that has been calculated, books have been written, movies have been made, etc. So I think actually it probably was predictable that people think their intuition is better than someone's knowledge. We have denigrated knowledge for a long time. Street smarts is typically seen as being more valuable than book smarts.

DisneyDebRob

Well now.. so much for the ones saying it couldn’t be done. Let’s see what happens now.

JoeCamel

JoeCamel

ArmoredRodent

It likely will, because there's a conflict among the Circuits in the vaccine mandate cases. That's the #1 reason the Supremes grant certiorari in the first place (review of most cases is discretionary, so at least four Justices have to vote in favor of hearing a Petition for Cert) because the top priority for the Court is uniformity of the law across the country. Otherwise, there would be races to the courthouse in favorable jurisdictions. I just finished a brief in a case last night, telling the Court about the wide variation among and within Circuits in a pretty fundamental First Amendment question.

JoeCamel

It likely will, because there's a conflict among the Circuits in the vaccine mandate cases. That's the #1 reason the Supremes grant certiorari in the first place (review of most cases is discretionary, so at least four Justices have to vote in favor of hearing a Petition for Cert) because the top priority for the Court is uniformity of the law across the country. Otherwise, there would be races to the courthouse in favorable jurisdictions. I just finished a brief in a case last night, telling the Court about the wide variation among and within Circuits in a pretty fundamental First Amendment question.
Like taking certain cases to Texas?

DisneyCane

Yep, let's get this settled soon. I hope it is decided on the merits
The merits are whether or not congress has granted the authority for vaccine mandates to CMS and OSHA. If congress passed a bill that was signed into law that explicitly granted that power then there wouldn't be any legal question as it is not really an issue of constitutionality. It is an issue of federalism and state's rights.

No such law exists and isn't going to be passed anytime soon so SCOTUS needs to interpret the existing laws and determine if that power has been granted to the executive branch.

Since the mandates are unprecedented, I don't foresee them determining that the legislative intent of authorizing OSHA and CMS was to allow them to implement these mandates especially given the tenuous argument that doing so is to protect other workers.

I guess we'll see hopefully soon as this needs to be decided. Several states have laws which directly contradict the federal mandates so which prevails needs to be settled.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

Dang it, COVID-19 variants. YOU'RE RUINING CHRISTMAS SEASON BECAUSE OMICORN VARIANT!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

COVID 'Viral Blizzard' Will Soon Hit US, Health Experts Predict. The combination of Delta and Omicron COVID-19 variants will create conditions which may make a "viral blizzard" possible. Experts note the rise of COVID-19 hospitalizations in major cities, . as well as lines for COVID-19 testing that have been seen to stretch for miles as evidence of what may be ahead. We're really just about to experience a viral blizzard, Michael Osterholm, Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, via CNN. In the next three to eight weeks, we're going to see millions of Americans are going to be infected with this virus, .., Michael Osterholm, Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, via CNN. ...and that will be overlaid on top of Delta, and we're not yet sure exactly how that's going to work out, Michael Osterholm, Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, via CNN. Health experts say that the strain on the healthcare system is likely to worsen. What you have here right now is a potential perfect storm, Michael Osterholm, Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, via CNN. I've been very concerned about the fact that we could easily see a quarter or a third of our health care workers quickly becoming cases themselves, Michael Osterholm, Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, via CNN. President Joe Biden stated that the outlook for the unvaccinated was grim. For the unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death, President Joe Biden, via CNN. But there's good news if you're vaccinated and you have your booster shot, you're protected from severe illness and death, President Joe Biden, via CNN. Biden reiterated the effectiveness of initial vaccines and booster shots. Vaccination rates have increased by nearly 22 percent from a month ago

Oh, no. I've bad feeling about this Winter now....

With COVID-19 cases once again soaring in New Jersey, Gov. Phil Murphy said the state could soon face new restrictions in response to a deadly pandemic that is once more growing.

“My fear is we’re going to be getting back to capacity limits at some point,” Murphy said during an unrelated press event at Port Newark on Friday, where he warned “this thing is still with us and sadly, the numbers are still going up.”

Earlier on Friday, the state reported another 16 confirmed COVID-19 deaths and 6,260 confirmed cases. It marked the first time New Jersey health officials marked back-to-back days of more than 6,000 confirmed positive tests in the 21 months since the pandemic began.

On Thursday, the state reported another 6,271 positive tests, bringing the two-day total to 12,531. New Jersey had just six days total last winter with more than 6,000 cases — the highest recorded at 6,922 on Jan. 13.

RELATED: N.J. reports 6,260 COVID cases, 16 deaths — more than 6,000 positive tests on back-to-back days for 1st time

Those numbers come as the cases of the omicron variant of the virus have been spreading like wildfire worldwide. Experts say the evidence is that omicron is far more transmissible and more likely to evade some natural immunity and, to some extent, vaccine-induced immunity.

The first case of the omicron coronavirus variant in New Jersey was identified two weeks ago in a Georgia woman who traveled to the state in November. The woman, who had been fully vaccinated, had recently traveled to South Africa, officials said.

Within days, a second case was reported involving a Monmouth County man who attended Anime NYC at the Javits Center in Manhattan in November, according to the Department of Health. The man got sick on Nov. 24 but was not hospitalized as he experienced mild symptoms.

CORONAVIRUS RESOURCES: Live map tracker | Newsletter | Homepage

Murphy said common sense would suggest that omicron cases in New Jersey are at a higher level than the sequencing being performed on specimens by the New Jersey Department of Health laboratory would suggest. Still, the governor believed the new spike in cases now being seen are largely part of the same wave sparked by the delta variant that began two months ago.

He said people should be cautious as the holiday season approaches. Gatherings inside with those whose vaccination status cannot be confirmed should be cause for concern for anyone, he said.

“That’s a mask if not a double mask,” Murphy said. “Going to someone’s New Year’s party in some basement somewhere with a bunch of people you don’t know — that’s a flashing yellow if not red light. You have to be very careful.”

Asked whether mask mandates might return if the numbers continue to rise, Murphy said “everything is on the table.”

Among those options include the possible return of capacity limits — whether implemented by the state or individual locations, he said.

Still, Murphy noted there were defenses that weren’t available a year ago, with vaccines and now boosters in play.

“There’s no reason to panic. But there is plenty of reason to be deadly serious about this,” the governor said.

Joesixtoe

3. Society has a right to ostracize them. And for nonessential activities, it’s high time we do just that.
I wouldn't let your mind go there. Your playing way way to much into the hype, that really has failed one by one from those who hype this up. Don't forget history, learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom