Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seascape

The world is about money. Never forget that. What we are doing now is an attempt to stop the virus from cascading out of control, which would cost much more money and the loss of countless businesses and the loss of countless money making, and money spending people.

In my opinion, ignoring the virus and allowing it to cascade out of control would cause much more long term economic damage
No one said do nothing. Telling all those at risk to isolate themselves and provide them the means to afford that and keep the rest of the economy running was the right step. We didn't do that. We have shut our economy down. I am losing faith in the future. I pray for the next generations because we screwed this up big time. I only hope I have enough left to live because State and Local Pensions are at risk and so is Social Security. All of us. Republicans, Democrats and Independents. The only people not to blame are under 25.

UNCgolf

MK will be the priority if they have to choose 1 park. DAK could operate the easiest if they have to limit shows / capacity. DHS is a small park but if you can’t pack guests into shows there is very little to do.

I'd imagine they'd want to open DAK because they have more ongoing expenses there regardless of closure than any of the other parks. All the animal care staff has to keep working no matter what.

21stamps

Isn’t that the same hysteria in the other extreme as the people quoting grim disease predictions?

From the onset, and every single day after the state and national updates, I grow more concerned for the economy. I am glad that we have a POTUS who sounds like he wants to return to business as usual as quickly as possible... but to do so will require massive federal intervention.. and even with that, not all will be saved.

I am numbers person, and a business person.. it doesn’t require hysteria to see that we are in a downward spiral right now. We just need to reverse course as quickly as we see that it’s ok to do so, even if incremental openings. That’s the only way to stop it. Government checks only do so much, and that money has to come from somewhere... that somewhere could turn into inflation and higher taxes quite quickly if this lasts too long.

IF, a big if, we can see the bulk of the storm pass within 15 days, then I believe we will recover, but it won’t be back to where it was just a few weeks ago.

ImperfectPixie

No one said do nothing. Telling all those at risk to isolate themselves and provide them the means to afford that and keep the rest of the economy running was the right step. We didn't do that. We have shut our economy down. I am losing faith in the future. I pray for the next generations because we screwed this up big time. I only hope I have enough left to live because State and Local Pensions are at risk and so is Social Security. All of us. Republicans, Democrats and Independents. The only people not to blame are under 25.
Sorry...people under 25 are by and large (from what I've seen) the biggest group not following the issued guidelines - they're playing a role, too.

Jon81uk

The rides won't go away but more may be seasonal. Shows, parades and fireworks on the otherhand may be cut. Disney did not always have nightly fireworks and it's possible they could be cut to 5 days a week and not in every park. Parades might be cut in Disneyland to one a day. AK may lose one of their shows, Nemo or Lion King. Attendance will not come back that quickly. The job losses are just too high. The wealth loss, way more than I thought. I always thought I was financially secure no matter what. Not anymore. My government pension is at risk, Social Security is at risk and my portfolio down over 30%. The way things are going Bernie may get his way and we won't have any billionaires.
A lot of this happened after 9/11, I can remember Fantasmic going to three times a week.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What percent of Americans are high risk? If I was high risk (luckily I’m not) and also the father of 2 kids should I isolate myself somewhere alone for 18 months until there is a vaccine or does my whole family now have to isolate too? If you factor in actual high risk people, their immediate families or caretakers and anyone else who just wasn’t interested in getting potentially ill thats a whole lot of people. A significant portion of the population. How does the economy just keep running? It’s a nice idea but wouldn’t likely work in practice. It was the plan in several countries that realized it wouldn’t work and switched approaches.

Lilofan

Whelp, looks like I'll be planning to rope-drop the supermarket...for TP and tissues. Finally got sick of banging my head against the wall and called them, and their advice was to come in at store open at 6am as they re-stock daily, but it's gone in 30 minutes.
I've had luck with TP, Bounty paper towels at Office Depot and Staples but that's when there were no rationing and they always had plenty of stock. Maybe worth a phone call.

Josh Hendy

I'm seeing so many headlines about quarantines bailout money that it makes me worried that the higher priority issues are being neglected. It's been a couple of days since I've seen any stories about drug trials, vaccine development, or speeding up the manufacturing of medicines, masks, gloves, ventilators, testing facilities, extra hospital beds and so on.

Maybe all these things are taking place at maximum speed but you don't hear much about it. Mostly all I hear about is quarantine announcements and a lot of frantic speculation about bailing out companies that have too much debt.

Quarantines are important right now but so are diagnosis and treatment.

ImperfectPixie

I've had luck with TP, Bounty paper towels at Office Depot and Staples but that's when there were no rationing and they always had plenty of stock. Maybe worth a phone call.
I thought of that, too...problem is, there's a Staples, CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Market Basket, Stop & Shop, Aldi's, and several other stores all within less than 2 miles of each other, so everyone's making the rounds if they strike out at their usual store of choice. I just don't get it...we're a very spread out town of ~55,000. It's not summer yet, so the tourists aren't here, and it's not "easy" to get to many areas of town (people aren't just cutting through, basically...you're either coming to this area, or you're not). I can see the towns directly north and west of us coming in to get stuff, but any further than that would be really going out of their way and there is more and more stuff the farther away you get from us.

21stamps

I'm seeing so many headlines about quarantines bailout money that it makes me worried that the higher priority issues are being neglected. It's been a couple of days since I've seen any stories about drug trials, vaccine development, or speeding up the manufacturing of medicines, masks, gloves, ventilators, testing facilities, extra hospital beds and so on.

Maybe all these things are taking place at maximum speed but you don't hear much about it. Mostly all I hear about is quarantine announcements and a lot of frantic speculation about bailing out companies that have too much debt.

All of this was addressed in the president’s update yesterday.

Shouldigo12

I didn't have much time to search, but here are few articles regarding treatments to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom