Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Lilofan

World Showcase always opens at 11am with the exception of those pavilions that have an attraction or you can pick up breakfast (e.g. Norway and France).
Back in the day before 9/11, I recall worldshowcase opened at 9am like the rest of the park then cutbacks came after 9/11/01 then WSC staggard their opening to open at 11am.

Phil12

I’m not being a Debbie Downer here, just simply realistic. If this continues for 15 weeks then we will see an unrecognizable and unimaginable economy.

It can’t. It can’t last that long. I have to trust in all of the government and medical “experts” that they will not allow it to stretch that long.
It depends upon your outlook. You seem to be convinced that the entire economy will be devastated and unable to recover. I look at this economic disruption as a golden opportunity to invest. As the market bottoms out some stocks will be selling at bargain prices. I'm a glass half full guy.
1584984745904.png

1584985056107.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Do not go to work if you have a high risk person in your household.
What is high risk? Things like asthma and high blood pressure are very common. It’s not just elderly. If a doctor or nurse is married to a person with high blood pressure or has a kid with asthma should they stay home too? If schools stayed open should kids with high risk parents stay home? It’s easier said then done.

21stamps

I don't exactly have that luxury, although I wish I did.

Sorry to hear that. You will April 3 I think, if your company isn’t giving you that choice right now, the government will force them to when the law goes into effect.

The company I work for has already given everyone the choice to stay home if they are high risk, family member high risk, or just uncomfortable working right now. We did that a week ago. I’m shocked that not everyone has that opportunity, I would speak directly with HR and see what options are available for you.

If you are in healthcare, then I would still contact and make sure you are one of the first to get a mask.

21stamps

What is high risk? Things like asthma and high blood pressure are very common. It’s not just elderly. If a doctor or nurse is married to a person with high blood pressure or has a kid with asthma should they stay home too? If schools stayed open should kids with high risk parents stay home? It’s easier said then done.

High risk is all of the things that are listed as high risk, or that anyone feels is high risk. I work with 2 people who have asthma, neither one is coming in, and hasn’t been for several days. I didn’t say anything about elderly, I don’t work with too many people over the age of 65.

ImperfectPixie

Sorry to hear that. You will April 3 I think, if your company isn’t giving you that choice right now, the government will force them to when the law goes into effect.

The company I work for has already given everyone the choice to stay home if they are high risk, family member high risk, or just uncomfortable working right now. We did that a week ago. I’m shocked that not everyone has that opportunity, I would speak directly with HR and see what options are available for you.

If you are in healthcare, then I would still contact and make sure you are one of the first to get a mask.
I've seen people given those choices...but instructed to use any PTO they have due or it would be unpaid. (that was a week ago, though)

Shouldigo12

Not healthcare, but a grocery store. Obviously I'm not out here saving lives, but I'm still considered essential and it's been made to clear to everyone at my store (by the managers) that we're still expected to come in unless we suspect we have the virus. It would be nice if I could take time off for awhile by April 3rd, but I do worry about repurcussions. The union would prevent them from outright firing me, but the managers have become known here for coming up with more creative ways of punishing people for not doing what they want.

JohnD

Desantis has taken some good steps but I fear his lack of firmness and allowing the individual counties to kind of make it up as they go will sabotage Disney opening anytime soon and more importantly sabotage Floridas aging population.

There's another forum for your political opinion, aka "Mom's Basement".

lazyboy97o

I’m not so sure. At least where I live there was an extreme slow down prior to it being required. The economy was most definitely not churning along. Before my office shut down I was still going to work and people were still eating out, but that was when there were a handful of cases near me, none in my town. I know I wouldn’t have continued business as usual without the government stepping in. I certainly wouldn’t be caught dead stepping onto a cruise ship. About half of the states still don‘t have non-essential business shut downs so it would be interesting to see if their economies are still churning along.
In the two weeks before the start of government-mandated closures, I noticed I was getting to work faster and when I would go out to lunch the dining rooms were rather sparse. Definitely not business as usual. One mass outbreak linked to popular venue, like Walt Disney World, definitely would have caused a reaction.

I provided some data earlier in the thread. About 16% of the population is aged 65 or older. Then you start adding in all of the other risk factors like heart issues, pulmonary issues, immune system issues, cancer, etc. and you could easily be looking at 25% of the population who are known to be high risk. It's not just family who would have to be isolated. A very healthy pulmonologist with a whole family that is low-risk would still have to be part of this isolation because of direct contact with those who are high risk, and not just the doctor but the doctor's entire staff and their dependents. It doesn't seem unreasonable to think that for every high risk person there is at least one unique individual who is either a dependent or care giver. Our high risk only isolation has now ballooned to half the population and this still ignores that those who are low risk are still getting more than just a cough and fever for a few days. An office of healthy young adults is going to be less productive if a nice chunk of them are all out sick for two week increments.

Last edited:

phillip9698

They won’t be churning along well.. but the difference is 0 profit vs Reduced profit.
Which do you think is better for a business?
That would be an individual decision based on how each business could handle that margin. Different from a mandate.

I’m not saying that everything should remain open, btw.. I’m pointing out that there is a difference between being shut down, and seeing reduced profit. Let’s use restaurants for an example, they are hurting badly, but at least many are able to still do carry out or delivery, which will keep them afloat.

These half measures and let everyone decide what's best for them don't work. There has to be a coordinated and fully supported plan implemented if we are going to get serious. Can't have that discussion without getting political so I'll just leave it there.

ImperfectPixie

Not healthcare, but a grocery store. Obviously I'm not out here saving lives, but I'm still considered essential and it's been made to clear to everyone at my store (by the managers) that we're still expected to come in unless we suspect we have the virus. It would be nice if I could take time off for awhile by April 3rd, but I do worry about repurcussions. The union would prevent them from outright firing me, but the managers have become known here for coming up with more creative ways of punishing people for not doing what they want.
There are A LOT of bosses out there like that. My husband's is one of them. Call in sick too often, and you can expect to be treated like crap for about a week. And of course, there are a few people who can do no wrong even though their screw-ups cost the company thousands per week.

I should add that my husband is NOT one to call in sick unless he absolutely needs to, and yet, he still gets the above treatment.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks for showing up for work. Without food we would all eventually die so you are saving lives from a certain point of view. :)

On a lighter note how many people ask you a day when you are getting TP into the store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom