Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

I can’t look it up right now.. but if anyone wants to find the YouTube video of yesterday’s national update, you’ll hear a lot of info about possible treatments, testing, and other responses.

Lilofan

I’m not being a Debbie Downer here, just simply realistic. If this continues for 15 weeks then we will see an unrecognizable and unimaginable economy.

It can’t. It can’t last that long. I have to trust in all of the government and medical “experts” that they will not allow it to stretch that long.
Allowing to stretch that long is not the fault of the experts. It is the fault of the American people in that are still some idiots out there still not taking things seriously. As the medical experts say " pretend you have the virus and act accordingly ". A medical expert named the surgeon general of the USA said today we need to stay home. He said this week will be worse. Is everyone listening and following?

ImperfectPixie

And now Wisconsin has issued a “safer at home” order starting tomorrow.

What’s funny is many businesses in my area started going to curb side pick only a week ago. Best Buy being one. Just my opinion, but this sure ought to be considered an option as to completely shuttering a business.
The fear of using scary words is ridiculous. There are some people out that that need a little scaring to get their act in line.
I'm seeing so many headlines about quarantines bailout money that it makes me worried that the higher priority issues are being neglected. It's been a couple of days since I've seen any stories about drug trials, vaccine development, or speeding up the manufacturing of medicines, masks, gloves, ventilators, testing facilities, extra hospital beds and so on.

Maybe all these things are taking place at maximum speed but you don't hear much about it. Mostly all I hear about is quarantine announcements and a lot of frantic speculation about bailing out companies that have too much debt.

Quarantines are important right now but so are diagnosis and treatment.
All of this was addressed in the president’s update yesterday.
The task force updates have been pretty informative.

DisneyCane

The world is about money. Never forget that. What we are doing now is an attempt to stop the virus from cascading out of control, which would cost much more money and the loss of countless businesses and the loss of countless money making, and money spending people.

In my opinion, ignoring the virus and allowing it to cascade out of control would cause much more long term economic damage

I don't really see how letting the virus spread unabated would have led to more long term economic damage. Sure, a lot of people would die sooner (I say sooner since the vast majority of deaths is in the elderly) but the economy would have kept churning along. From personally attending a sporting event and observing restaurant parking lots two days before things were shut down, people who were not sick didn't really care (in all age groups) and did all the things they would have done if not for this virus.

21stamps

Allowing to stretch that long is not the fault of the experts. It is the fault of the American people in that are still some idiots out there still not taking things seriously. As the medical experts say " pretend you have the virus and act accordingly ". A medical expert named the surgeon general of the USA said today we need to stay home. He said this week will be worse. Is everyone listening and following?

I watched an interview with Dr Fauci last night. He said that their entire task force and the administration is following all of his guidelines, they have not refused any of them.

ImperfectPixie

I can’t look it up right now.. but if anyone wants to find the YouTube video of yesterday’s national update, you’ll hear a lot of info about possible treatments, testing, and other responses.
C-Span has been fabulous - they have a daily schedule, and keep the daily task force updates online along with their accompanying transripts. Here's the one for March 22, 2020 - yesterday.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Literally the post I quoted. Lol

Stay at home is not "board yourself inside". California has SIP, yet "Californians are permitted to leave their homes to obtain health care, as well as food and other essential supplies; walk their dogs; and care for family and friends".

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
I don't really see how letting the virus spread unabated would have led to more long term economic damage. Sure, a lot of people would die sooner (I say sooner since the vast majority of deaths is in the elderly) but the economy would have kept churning along. From personally attending a sporting event and observing restaurant parking lots two days before things were shut down, people who were not sick didn't really care (in all age groups) and did all the things they would have done if not for this virus.

I'd like to think you are wrong. True that many (as has been pointed out) have continued to live their lives - but most (if not all) of us either are/ know /or come into contact with those in the higher risk group.

I'd like to think that common sense would prevail and people would not put those highly vulnerable to this in that type of risk.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m not so sure. At least where I live there was an extreme slow down prior to it being required. The economy was most definitely not churning along. Before my office shut down I was still going to work and people were still eating out, but that was when there were a handful of cases near me, none in my town. I know I wouldn’t have continued business as usual without the government stepping in. I certainly wouldn’t be caught dead stepping onto a cruise ship. About half of the states still don‘t have non-essential business shut downs so it would be interesting to see if their economies are still churning along.

21stamps

About half of the states still don‘t have non-essential business shut downs so it would be interesting to see if their economies are still churning along.

They won’t be churning along well.. but the difference is 0 profit vs Reduced profit.
Which do you think is better for a business?

phillip9698

I dont think any economy can withstand millions of people dying in a couple months span, not to mention hospitals being completely overrun to the point where other more curable ailments are now also killing people. Knowing that i could pick up something at a basketball game that would kill my elderly father, i wouldnt go to basketball games. Lots of people feel that way. The economy would not keep churning along.

They won’t be churning along well.. but the difference is 0 profit vs Reduced profit.

For most businesses the reduced profit you speak of is a loss, since they are already operating on thin margins. Thats why when NYC asked Broadway to limit their shows to 50% capacity they stated they couldnt operate at that rate and just shut down on their own first.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Never said anything about 0 being better for business right now. His statement was that if we let the virus run unabated the economy would have kept churning along. I‘m pretty sure there would have been pretty substantial slowdowns for a lot of businesses. I wouldn’t call it churning along, but I guess it depends on how you define churning.

JohnD

Dining areas open on staggard days and Epcot futureworld closing at 7pm and worldshowcase opening late at 11am.

World Showcase always opens at 11am with the exception of those pavilions that have an attraction or you can pick up breakfast (e.g. Norway and France).

21stamps

For most businesses the reduced profit you speak of is a loss, since they are already operating on thin margins. Thats why when NYC asked Broadway to limit their shows to 50% capacity they stated they couldnt operate at that rate and just shut down on their own first.

That would be an individual decision based on how each business could handle that margin. Different from a mandate.

I’m not saying that everything should remain open, btw.. I’m pointing out that there is a difference between being shut down, and seeing reduced profit. Let’s use restaurants for an example, they are hurting badly, but at least many are able to still do carry out or delivery, which will keep them afloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom