Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

I'm curious as what Epcot will look like when it's time to re-open, particularly World Showcase. I am not sure how the work visas and programs are being affected with such a large number of CMs that aren't from the US. Does anyone have any insight in how this is currently working or will work in the future?

I highly doubt Epcot will reopen before food and wine season and they may even hold off to Festival of Holidays depending on how things go.

Someone in the know (?) posted way back on this thread that the internal calendar had Epcot closed up to 6 months.

MK will be the priority if they have to choose 1 park. DAK could operate the easiest if they have to limit shows / capacity. DHS is a small park but if you can’t pack guests into shows there is very little to do.

Lol... and I was told earlier in this thread that I was over reacting when I said water parks would remain closed!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I highly doubt Epcot will reopen before food and wine season and they may even hold off to Festival of Holidays depending on how things go.

Someone in the know (?) posted way back on this thread that the internal calendar had Epcot closed up to 6 months.

MK will be the priority if they have to choose 1 park. DAK could operate the easiest if they have to limit shows / capacity. DHS is a small park but if you can’t pack guests into shows there is very little to do.

Lol... and I was told earlier in this thread that I was over reacting when I said water parks would remain closed!
Internal calendars are showing April 1 reopening for all, but off course this is very likely to change.

JohnD

I start making FP selections on Thursday. Will be interesting to see what my choices are.

Incomudro

It will vary from place to place. NYC, for example, doesn't have enough parks to allow people to use them without a crowd gathering. Just walking down the street in Manhattan means being in close proximity to others. So shelter in place makes more sense than in a small town stuck in the Blue Ridge Mountains - especially since it isn't peak tourist season. The Tidal basin in DC had to be closed because it IS peak tourist season this week - Cherry Blossom time. But it might be reopened once the blossoms fade and it becomes just another park.

This is why the Federal government can't issue a "one size fits all" mandate. It's better to leave it up to local governments that know the needs of their area better.

Thank you for this.
It's frustrating to see how many people don't understand the differences.
Many, many people believe that everyone needs to remain indoors.
You catch this from, or give it to other people.
You don't catch it from the outdoors.
If you are outdoors, where the human density is low - you are not at risk nor are you putting others at risk.
If you are outdoors and the density of other people goes up, that can be another story.

Disstevefan1

Interesting article in the WSJ today about weighing the cost of the economic devastation against the hope of saving lives. For some on this board, prepare to be triggered by adult conversation:

One corner of economics has developed tools that researchers say can help get at the scale of what the nation confronts. These “value of statistical life” measures estimate what people are willing to pay to reduce the probability of dying.

Economists derive the numbers from surveys and through inferences from individual work choices, for instance by looking at how much added compensation people demand for doing high-risk jobs like logging, deep-sea fishing or roofing.

Value-of-statistical-life measures are routinely used by the federal government to calculate the costs and benefits of a wide range of health and environmental regulations, which also come with trade-offs between public safety and economic cost.

W. Kip Viscusi, a Vanderbilt University economics and law professor and leader in these valuations, estimates the value of a statistical life at around $10 million. The number means a U.S. community of 100,000 people would on average pay $100 per person to reduce the risk that one person in the community would randomly be killed by some threat. The community is essentially paying $10 million to reduce the risk that one among it will die.

Even under normal circumstances, such measures are complicated by many factors. For example, should the life of a child be given the same value as the life of an octogenarian? How do you account for age differences for a disease that affects the elderly most? Is a life in Laos worth as much as in the U.S.? Most people would say a life in either country is of equal value, but the calculations are based on how much a person would pay to reduce the risk of death, and because incomes are lower in Laos than in the U.S., the statistical value of life there is lower too.

In this case, the unknowns are especially large, notes Joseph Aldy, a Harvard professor and former adviser to President Barack Obama. The mortality rate of the virus itself is unknown. Because testing has been especially sparse in the U.S., nobody knows how widespread it is in the population, or how aggressively it transfers from one person to another.

“It is hard to even assess probabilities,” he said.

Mr. Viscusi noted another conundrum. Economic dislocation causes its own health problems.

“Mortality rates rise after periods of unemployment and income loss,” he said. “Even if health is your only concern and financial costs are not considered, adopting prevention efforts that limit the adverse effects on income is important.”

The U.S. should be willing to bear substantial costs to overcome this virus, because it is something that can cascade out of control, said Mr. Hammitt at Harvard.

How much cost?

“I don’t know,” he said.

The world is about money. Never forget that. What we are doing now is an attempt to stop the virus from cascading out of control, which would cost much more money and the loss of countless businesses and the loss of countless money making, and money spending people.

In my opinion, ignoring the virus and allowing it to cascade out of control would cause much more long term economic damage

seascape

I wouldn't expect them to go away, they are already there so that cost is done and dusted. The only real question is when they open how much staffing will they have, what will the hours be and what rides or attractions will be considered unnecessary to staff and open because the higher demand rides will be available leaving low demand ride pretty much unused. I wouldn't be surprised to see rides with two lines cut down to 1 and never bother operating the 2nd line for a long-time even as crowds start to increase.
The rides won't go away but more may be seasonal. Shows, parades and fireworks on the otherhand may be cut. Disney did not always have nightly fireworks and it's possible they could be cut to 5 days a week and not in every park. Parades might be cut in Disneyland to one a day. AK may lose one of their shows, Nemo or Lion King. Attendance will not come back that quickly. The job losses are just too high. The wealth loss, way more than I thought. I always thought I was financially secure no matter what. Not anymore. My government pension is at risk, Social Security is at risk and my portfolio down over 30%. The way things are going Bernie may get his way and we won't have any billionaires.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Free Coronavirus cure! Just pay $4.95 for shipping and handling. Amazing what people will do to scam others.

durangojim

If anyone here hasn’t seen it, the movie “Contagion” is a fairly realistic depiction of what can occur in a pandemic with some artistic liberties of course.

21stamps

The rides won't go away but more may be seasonal. Shows, parades and fireworks on the otherhand may be cut. Disney did not always have nightly fireworks and it's possible they could be cut to 5 days a week and not in every park. Parades might be cut in Disneyland to one a day. AK may lose one of their shows, Nemo or Lion King. Attendance will not come back that quickly. The job losses are just too high. The wealth loss, way more than I thought. I always thought I was financially secure no matter what. Not anymore. My government pension is at risk, Social Security is at risk and my portfolio down over 30%. The way things are going Bernie may get his way and we won't have any billionaires.

We won’t have a middle class either.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interesting article in the WSJ today about weighing the cost of the economic devastation against the hope of saving lives. For some on this board, prepare to be triggered by adult conversation:

One corner of economics has developed tools that researchers say can help get at the scale of what the nation confronts. These “value of statistical life” measures estimate what people are willing to pay to reduce the probability of dying.

Economists derive the numbers from surveys and through inferences from individual work choices, for instance by looking at how much added compensation people demand for doing high-risk jobs like logging, deep-sea fishing or roofing.

Value-of-statistical-life measures are routinely used by the federal government to calculate the costs and benefits of a wide range of health and environmental regulations, which also come with trade-offs between public safety and economic cost.

W. Kip Viscusi, a Vanderbilt University economics and law professor and leader in these valuations, estimates the value of a statistical life at around $10 million. The number means a U.S. community of 100,000 people would on average pay $100 per person to reduce the risk that one person in the community would randomly be killed by some threat. The community is essentially paying $10 million to reduce the risk that one among it will die.

Even under normal circumstances, such measures are complicated by many factors. For example, should the life of a child be given the same value as the life of an octogenarian? How do you account for age differences for a disease that affects the elderly most? Is a life in Laos worth as much as in the U.S.? Most people would say a life in either country is of equal value, but the calculations are based on how much a person would pay to reduce the risk of death, and because incomes are lower in Laos than in the U.S., the statistical value of life there is lower too.

In this case, the unknowns are especially large, notes Joseph Aldy, a Harvard professor and former adviser to President Barack Obama. The mortality rate of the virus itself is unknown. Because testing has been especially sparse in the U.S., nobody knows how widespread it is in the population, or how aggressively it transfers from one person to another.

“It is hard to even assess probabilities,” he said.

Mr. Viscusi noted another conundrum. Economic dislocation causes its own health problems.

“Mortality rates rise after periods of unemployment and income loss,” he said. “Even if health is your only concern and financial costs are not considered, adopting prevention efforts that limit the adverse effects on income is important.”

The U.S. should be willing to bear substantial costs to overcome this virus, because it is something that can cascade out of control, said Mr. Hammitt at Harvard.

How much cost?

“I don’t know,” he said.
Despite what you probably think, I actually agree with all of this. There’s absolutely an economic cost to any government decision and there is absolutely a weighing of that vs the public health benefits that has to occur. I also believe that state, local and federal leaders as well as leaders around the world are all doing exactly that. Nobody entered into these decisions lightly. If the economy was never a consideration than they would have locked down everything at a federal level when the first case hit the US. As the article concludes (bold and underlined) the US should be willing to bear substantial costs. When all is said and done there will be a major economic impact. It’s just not possible right now to know how large that will be and it will largely be dependent on how long shot downs last, how fast we can ramp up once the crisis is over, how soon a vaccine or effective anti-viral drugs can be rolled out and how well the stimulus is handled.

One thing that this article points out that is discounted or ignore by some is that doing nome of these shut downs would still have a significant economic impact. What that impact would be is impossible to tell now since we started taking action already. It’s all just an academic debate. It’s also short sighted to just take the statistics as of today at a moment in time and try to draw conclusions on a long term outcome. Just like the current death toll or infection rate is growing and changing so is the economic impact. It would be short sighted for me to argue that the unemployment numbers aren’t so bad right now so that’s proof the economic impact is mild. Just like it’s short sited to quote virus statistics today as proof that this is all an over reaction. The virus stats are going to get a lot worse before they level off just like the economy will. Medical experts are giving their best projections of the spread of the virus just like economists are giving their best projections of the impact to the economy. I don’t think we can discount either group. All inputs need to be considered.

thomas998

Yes even before any of this DL would only have fireworks on certain nights in the off-season. I expect that at WDW as well. Frankly it wouldn't surprise me if they fireworks became a Friday only or Friday and Saturday only thing. Parades, might be the same for a while. If you think about the number of CM's that are involved in a 20 minute parade it is a very expensive thing for Disney and I sometimes think that the only reason they started having multiple parades a day was to provide something to appease the people that were tired of waiting in a 90 minute line for a ride. I don't think there will be many 90 minutes ride lines for a while.

rk03221

I had a bad - what I thought was a cold - back in early Jan. Mostly dry coughing...sometimes w/ slight wheezing. It lingered for weeks. I also had no aches and pains (as I always have w/ a cold, which I thought was odd) and no major fatigue. I work from home already, so I was able to continue working throughout. I also had some minor congestion.

Some time after I thought I beat it, I had off / on chills for no reason for about 2 weeks that I couldn't explain (this was now early Feb)

I completely loss my sense of smell during that time. I attributed it to what I thought was a cold.

Who knows what I had then? I bet this thing was around in the U.S. longer than just a few weeks ago.

You most likely had it. Reports are coming out of people losing their sense of smell. Right now I’m a little congested with a dry cough but that’s it, I’ve had it for a few weeks but it’s really mild, I did take a nap the other day and woke up because I couldn’t breath it was so dry. We’re also just getting over winter here and it’s warming up so it could just be the air.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom