Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I just want to give some insight on the young adults who won't get vaccinated. My two older kids (24&20) are not vaccinated. Myself, husband, and the two younger ones (12&14) are. Yes I have tried convincing them. Really tried. Tried again today with my 20 year old who just drove off back to his college apartment. I get met with "stop it mom, I'm not old mom, Hunter (their cousin-20) had it and was fine, nobody I know got sick mom, I don't need it mom" They just don't think covid matters. Now-what would make them get it is a stimulus for vaccination. That I can bet on. Give these young adults $1200 and they would gladly line up for their check/shot. $1200 means 4 months rent for my son in his off campus apartment. He'd be thrilled to have those months covered.
I would support that 100%. We should really have tied the last stimulus into vaccinations but the timing was off and the vaccine wasn’t readily available to everyone yet. Announce the stimulus and allow people to apply for the credit as soon as vaccinated. It can’t hurt the vaccine effort and we may end up with 1 last stimulus so why not?

Lilofan

I just want to give some insight on the young adults who won't get vaccinated. My two older kids (24&20) are not vaccinated. Myself, husband, and the two younger ones (12&14) are. Yes I have tried convincing them. Really tried. Tried again today with my 20 year old who just drove off back to his college apartment. I get met with "stop it mom, I'm not old mom, Hunter (their cousin-20) had it and was fine, nobody I know got sick mom, I don't need it mom" They just don't think covid matters. Now-what would make them get it is a stimulus for vaccination. That I can bet on. Give these young adults $1200 and they would gladly line up for their check/shot. $1200 means 4 months rent for my son in his off campus apartment. He'd be thrilled to have those months covered.
Some I knew had the same mindset until their healthy no underlying conditions best friends got covid and were hospitalized for a week. The light bulb went on in their brains and then they got vaccinated.

KrzyKtty

I would support that 100%. We should really have tied the last stimulus into vaccinations but the timing was off and the vaccine wasn’t readily available to everyone yet. Announce the stimulus and allow people to apply for the credit as soon as vaccinated. It can’t hurt the vaccine effort and we may end up with 1 last stimulus so why not?
It would certainly help finally raise the vaccination rate above 40% here in south cackalacky...

DisneyCane

I’m just asking this because I have no idea.

If we just let delta freaking rip no mitigation’s what so ever.

If your not vaccinated good luck to you.

Will it not spread fast enough for herd immunity?
With the exception of the low percentage of people who can't be vaccinated, for anybody 12 and over, if they are not vaccinated it is by choice. If somebody makes that choice then whatever happens to them is their fault.

If they want to believe mRNA vaccines modify their DNA, will render them infertile or there are tracking nanobots produced by Bill Gates in the shot instead of listening to their doctor then whatever happens to them is on them, not me.
Wasn’t that the @DisneyCane method for covid last year? (Substitute vacinated for unhealthy / old people)
No. My method/philosophy was to educate the public about the risks and what could be done to minimize your risk and then allow people and businesses to make their own risk assessments. Since it was very clear from very early on who was the most vulnerable, I would have tailored government response to ensure that people 65+ and those younger with very high risk underlying conditions would be able to stay home and isolated.

LaughingGravy

The fact that they don't know anyone directly affected badly drives a lot of that.
Our kids are the same age, but couldn't wait to get their 2 shots each.
Understand we are northeast and got hit hard by this, including the deaths of two teachers and two next door neighbors so there is definitely a healthy fear based on reality. There were many funerals here due to covid and that was before the Delta variant.
The colleges our kids went to were either shut, or when allowed back on, twice a week negative tests were required. Our older one graduated via zoom. Our younger stayed on a campus that was very strict in protocols and testing. Even now, except for those in the smallest circles (such as roommates), they stay masked even though fully vaccinated.
This is stlll life and death stuff.

CarolinaSoprano

Have you considered offering them money yourself? (Serious question!)
Yes and no. I mean we are already paying tuition and living expenses for my college son. Already helped the older one through his college degree from Rutgers. My husband is in the military and I don't work so we are certainly not made of money! But I would be open to giving them some money perhaps but I don't think they would accept it from me. Though I am not thrilled with having to bribe them as their mother either. And god forbid one of them did have a reaction or side effect etc I don't think I could live with that! The choice is ultimately theirs. I can (and do) mention it when I speak to them. That's all I can do.

ImperfectPixie

Yes and no. I mean we are already paying tuition and living expenses for my college son. Already helped the older one through his college degree from Rutgers. My husband is in the military and I don't work so we are certainly not made of money! But I would be open to giving them some money perhaps but I don't think they would accept it from me. Though I am not thrilled with having to bribe them as their mother either. And god forbid one of them did have a reaction or side effect etc I don't think I could live with that! The choice is ultimately theirs. I can (and do) mention it when I speak to them. That's all I can do.
My husband would be verbally jabbing at them at every opportunity if they were our sons. (Jokingly, but with purpose.)

nickys

Premium Member
Nope the UK is only investigating mixed doses on a third booster and has a trial underway at present. It doesn't state what your ascertaining on the NHS website, and was added after people had an anaphylactic shock who got Pfizer as their first jab were recommended to get AZ as their second shot.

But not the other way round.
This isn’t actually true. There was a small study with around 600 people looking at mixing the 1st and 2nd shots.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
See, it's exactly that quote given to me by a relative who didn't believe the virus was a real threat when it came to any mandate to shut things down and mask up. Makes me crazy.
I believe the virus is a real thing too. I also believe in the vaccines. I don’t believe that government is the solution to the problem. History has shown repeatedly that government intervention has certainly not helped things. Corona Virus responses from Government sort of proved that. I’d rather not name examples, but I’m sure you could figure it out.

havoc315

You consistently say something won’t happen then in another post say it might happen so in the end in your mind you are always right no matter what the actual outcome. I get that. I tried numerous times to have an actual conversation but you are consistently hell bent on arguing over nonsense. I don’t really care anymore. I spent months and months in this thread arguing with the Covid denial crowd and saying repeatedly that nobody wanted bad outcomes, but I’m at the point where I don’t know if I actually believe that anymore and that’s really sad…but like I said, it is what it is.

Citing facts is not rooting for a bad outcome. It's simply being honest. Honestly saying the vaccines are amazing but are not 100%. Honestly saying we haven't reached herd immunity and require greater vaccination. Honestly appreciating the possibility that we may need boosters and may need to adapt to the presence of Covid in the community for a long term. Acknowledging these facts is not "sad," it is not "wanting a bad outcome." It's a simple recitation of facts.

And my posting history has been very consistent. When I'm wrong, I state I'm wrong and adjust.
Here is what I said over a month ago:

I said I doubted we would reach it by July, and we may not reach it until the Fall. And then you and I made our gentleman's bet with a cut-off of August 1st -- Given I did not believe we would get there by July and it might be until the fall, and based on your certainty that we would get there by early July. I still say the same thing I said a month ago -- We probably won't get there in July, and we may not get there until the Fall. If we get there in August, great. Sadly, it's still much too low.

SirLink

This isn’t actually true. There was a small study with around 600 people looking at mixing the 1st and 2nd shots.

The poster who I was replying to said the NHS were mixing and matching doses for everyone, which is incorrect.

CarolinaSoprano

The fact that they don't know anyone directly affected badly drives a lot of that.
Our kids are the same age, but couldn't wait to get their 2 shots each.
Understand we are northeast and got hit hard by this, including the deaths of two teachers and two next door neighbors so there is definitely a healthy fear based on reality. There were many funerals here due to covid and that was before the Delta variant.
The colleges our kids went to were either shut, or when allowed back on, twice a week negative tests were required. Our older one graduated via zoom. Our younger stayed on a campus that was very strict in protocols and testing. Even now, except for those in the smallest circles (such as roommates), they stay masked even though fully vaccinated.
This is stlll life and death stuff.
Exactly! And my son has been living in his college town (in NC) with roommates, many friends he has, a gf, and none of them have gotten sick from covid. The ones in his school who tested positive were just quarantined and that was it. It certainly would have been different if he saw his college friends severely ill. But they didn't, so he doesn't see covid as serious. Now my older son lives and works in NJ and even he doesn't know any contemporaries who got ill either. He has been working this whole time at Amazon in the corporate office. And since he did not get covid after all this time (a year and a half) NOW he should think it's serious? He just doesn't see it as a serious matter. Frustrating but hard to convince the young people who think they are invincible!

Flugell

The poster who I was replying to said the NHS were mixing and matching doses for everyone, which is incorrect.
No I did not. I gave you a government website to verify what I said, then replied to you informing you that you were mistaken and urging you to read the link again. You then claimed to be talking about Canada and I apologised if that was the case as I have no knowledge about Canada.

LaughingGravy

We had discussions with both kids and the overwhelming response was that if there were side effects, we would rather live with those than lose one of us. That came from them.

ImperfectPixie

For those who think that FL is doing nothing to encourage vaccinations, I found this posted yesterday on the Florida Department of Health twitter feed:

That's fine and dandy...but do you think that's getting in front of people who aren't all that interested in being vaccinated or who don't see the virus as a threat?

It's on the Florida DPH Twitter feed...it should be all over Facebook and in OTHER Twitter feeds...places people will actually SEE it.

correcaminos

We had discussions with both kids and the overwhelming response was that if there were side effects, we would rather live with those than lose one of us. That came from them.
We had lots of discussions starting last July when I was called to schedule. Oddly for us it wasn't about side effects for us, it was about protecting others. That's where I think we keep missing the mark. My kid opted out of the trial (with my agreement) due things like school schedules and worry about so many blood draws. That's where it was personal. However even declining to join, the comments were more along the lines of let's vaccinate so all can be protected and then selfishly we can go back to normal 100%

We missed those foci early on here I think. Orlando area actually was heading okay at first with rewarding for vaccine levels. Then it dropped off and all went to normal when we do need more to vaccinate.

SirLink

No I did not. I gave you a government website to verify what I said, then replied to you informing you that you were mistaken and urging you to read the link again. You then claimed to be talking about Canada and I apologised if that was the case as I have no knowledge about Canada.

I replied to say it didn't say what you claimed on the NHS website which again it didn't. I never referred to Canada once.

LittleBuford

Thanks for your answer. I really hope you’re able to persuade them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom