Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Ariel

So the whole country should modify their behavior because of your self described medical unicorn?

Isn’t it much easier for you to keep your daughter at home and fully mitigate the risk?

After all mitigation’s are no big deal and it’s only a few months right?
Thats why i pointed out the 25-30 million americans that are in a similar position.

but yeah, don’t worry, the message that those who are immunocompromised or high risk are expendable has been heard loud and clear throughout the pandemic.

My state has already removed mask mandates, and yes, this has resulted in us having to limit - again- how much she can go out and where. Her mental health significantly improved as cases went down (and yet mitigation was still in place), as we were able to get her out more. Now that is in more jeopardy again - but again, message received loud and clear that the mental health of high risk children does ‘t matter - adults not having to mask is clearly more important. /s

correcaminos

As i already said - my child is a medical unicorn, so stats mean nothing to me. She has a condition that occurs in 0.0000038961% of people on earth.

There are 25-30 million americans - just americans - with rare disorders, many of them children. There was an infinitely greater chance of these people having more common afflictions as well, and yet. slowing the spread for a few more months until all have access to a vaccine is worth it. Pfizer was indicating asking for EUA for 5-11 by September, and all by the end of the year.

and no, I’m not suggesting lock down either - just continuation of indoor masking, distancing where possible.
I'm truly torn on this. Fully vaccinated should not be any more of a real risk as those masked. At least based on all I've read. I also want, as a trial person to make sure we have correct data out there. While I am truly cool masking or not (I have masks on me always just in case) at the same time, we're always going to have people who cannot be vaccinated or do not create antibodies when vaccinated. I'm not being mean, but when do we stop mitigations? When your kid is safe, or when all are safe?

I think we failed with how we have vaccinated and not treated exactly the same to be fair. I really do. I would love to keep every single person safe, I just want to know when this should all end since we suck as a country.

Angel Ariel

I'm truly torn on this. Fully vaccinated should not be any more of a real risk as those masked. At least based on all I've read. I also want, as a trial person to make sure we have correct data out there. While I am truly cool masking or not (I have masks on me always just in case) at the same time, we're always going to have people who cannot be vaccinated or do not create antibodies when vaccinated. I'm not being mean, but when do we stop mitigations? When your kid is safe, or when all are safe?

I think we failed with how we have vaccinated and not treated exactly the same to be fair. I really do. I would love to keep every single person safe, I just want to know when this should all end since we suck as a country.
Yes, there will always be those who can’t - but if we are talking statistics, that is also a small portion of the population. Right now a large chunk of the population does not have access not because they can’t have it, but because it hasn’t been approved. I don’t think it is hypocritical or excessive ti keep
mitigation in place until the man-made barriers to access (aka gov’t approval) are temoved.

Trauma

Thats why i pointed out the 25-30 million americans that are in a similar position.

but yeah, don’t worry, the message that those who are immunocompromised or high risk are expendable has been heard loud and clear throughout the pandemic.

My state has already removed mask mandates, and yes, this has resulted in us having to limit - again- how much she can go out and where. Her mental health significantly improved as cases went down (and yet mitigation was still in place), as we were able to get her out more. Now that is in more jeopardy again - but again, message received loud and clear that the mental health of high risk children does ‘t matter - adults not having to mask is clearly more important. /s
So when you had your child where you not aware that they could have a medical condition that could force you to make drastic changes to your life?

My brothers autistic child will live with him to the day he dies.

No one gives a crap except immediate family. To everyone else that’s his problem.

We need to take personal responsibility for our actions and accept that no one else cares.

Sorry I know in a perfect world that’s not the way it should be but that’s the way it is.

Angel Ariel

So when you had your child where you not aware that they could have a medical condition that could force you to make drastic changes to your life?

My brothers autistic child will live with him to the day he dies.

No one gives a crap except immediate family. To everyone else that’s his problem.

We need to take personal responsibility for our actions and accept that no one else cares.

Sorry I know in a perfect world that’s not the way it should be but that’s the way it is.
I believe i pointed out already that we are taking personal reaponsibility, thanksmuch. No parentsplaining necessary.

As for caring about others - that’s empathy, not parenting. And yes, i have empathy for people whether they are my family or not. Its not about it being a perfect world - no world will be. But it costs me nothing to give care and thought to others. The pandemic has certainly highlighted the lack of empathy in our world.

Trauma

That choice is not available to all as of yet.
I have more to say to you I know a come off as a uncaring jerk.

What I have learned thru all of this is no one cares.

No one cares about you your kids anything.

They only care about themselves.

Yeah not everyone, lots of good people , but no where near enough for you to think that other people will ever be there for you.

It’s depressing but it’s the reality I have accepted.

You can be a better person than this and not be part of the problem but you need to understand the reality also.

I’ll pray for your daughter if that’s worth anything and I will wear a mask indoors starting today against my own personal beliefs.

Just remember not enough people care at all about you or your daughter.

It’s all up to you to keep her safe.

Angel Ariel

I have more to say to you I know a come off as a uncaring jerk.

What I have learned thru all of this is no one cares.

No one cares about you your kids anything.

They only care about themselves.

Yeah not everyone, lots of good people , but no where near enough for you to think that other people will ever be there for you.

It’s depressing but it’s the reality I have accepted.

You can be a better person than this and not be part of the problem but you need to understand the reality also.

I’ll pray for your daughter if that’s worth anything and I will wear a mask indoors starting today against my own personal beliefs.

Just remember not enough people care at all about you or your daughter.

It’s all up to you to keep her safe.
As i said, I am well aware of the reality. I can understand the reality, do what I need to do to keep her safe, AND choose to fight for something better at the same time. My daughter, and all the kids like her, deserve that much.

Thank you for the bolded. 🙏

mmascari

I think we failed with how we have vaccinated and not treated exactly the same to be fair.
This is the root issue most have. Especially people that have kids under 12 or other vaccine ineligible people in their lives.

All the guidelines say stuff like “vaccinated can do X” and “where spread is low”. Which in turn means unvaccinated, especially where spread is high, should not be doing X.

We don't ask people to show they’re vaccinated. Give everyone the choice to make their own decisions about being vaccinated. Which is fine, but there are consequences to those decisions. Someone who chooses to not vaccinate should be choosing to do the unvaccinated restrictions. They’re not though, and by those actions creating a direct risk to someone else.

Going out with an 11 year old in public means guessing if every person you see is vaccinated or possibly contagious. It was easier when they all looked the same and the uncooperative were easily identified.

Combine that with the general risk created by that same population keeping the virus circulating.

We all want this to be over as soon as possible.

correcaminos

Yes, there will always be those who can’t - but if we are talking statistics, that is also a small portion of the population. Right now a large chunk of the population does not have access not because they can’t have it, but because it hasn’t been approved. I don’t think it is hypocritical or excessive ti keep
mitigation in place until the man-made barriers to access (aka gov’t approval) are temoved.
First thank you for putting up with my question politely. I am only trying to find how people think. Do you feel an unmasked vaccinated person is a huge risk to your kid?

Something to point out. We have roughly 48 million kids under 12 in the US. Your article said Between 25 and 30 million Americans, many of them children, are living with a rare disease. Which is not the number of kids with rare disease. Many of those with rare diseases have access to the vaccine.

I don't want you to think I am picking on you or saying I don't understand your fears. I actually really do. I've been so frustrated with this whole thing so far and how willing others are to just say I don't care about others and do as they wish. I'm about giving real numbers.

I am concerned that we will not have a vaccine until closer to the end of the year for kids. Just due to lack of information. A month ago Moderna went for 12+. It's taking a longer time than expected for these to come through.

I'm actually fine with wearing masks indoors, except while I am singing - that one I admit I begrudgingly do and hate as I have to use a disposal tied up weird to allow for singing. So don't think I have issues. I am just curious much like food allergies fight, what do we do? Are vaccinated and nkn vaxxed masked okay? Just what is okay for the vast majority of people out there. Meant to be thought provoking for all sides. Not an attack or saying you are wrong. I'm really not sure where we go from here.

Last edited:

Trauma

As i said, I am well aware of the reality. I can understand the reality, do what I need to do to keep her safe, AND choose to fight for something better at the same time. My daughter, and all the kids like her, deserve that much.

Thank you for the bolded. 🙏
I can disagree with you but still listen and learn.

I’m sitting here in tears because I don’t know what to do anymore.

I did everything they said to do.

Where did it all go wrong?

ImperfectPixie

I can disagree with you but still listen and learn.

I’m sitting here in tears because I don’t know what to do anymore.

Id did everything they said to do.

Where did it all go wrong?
Many in leadership downplaying the virus is where it went wrong. Once they did that, they screwed over everyone.

(This includes religious leadership.)

ETA: And people using the virus as a means to grift. (How many quack doctors have we seen in the news...I can think of three just off the top of my head who got lots of exposure.)

correcaminos

This is the root issue most have. Especially people that have kids under 12 or other vaccine ineligible people in their lives.

All the guidelines say stuff like “vaccinated can do X” and “where spread is low”. Which in turn means unvaccinated, especially where spread is high, should not be doing X.

We don't ask people to show they’re vaccinated. Give everyone the choice to make their own decisions about being vaccinated. Which is fine, but there are consequences to those decisions. Someone who chooses to not vaccinate should be choosing to do the unvaccinated restrictions. They’re not though, and by those actions creating a direct risk to someone else.

Going out with an 11 year old in public means guessing if every person you see is vaccinated or possibly contagious. It was easier when they all looked the same and the uncooperative were easily identified.

Combine that with the general risk created by that same population keeping the virus circulating.

We all want this to be over as soon as possible.
That's been a massive issue for me too which is why I wonder what is best. Masking for all indoors won't happen... let's be real on that. When the numbers were so bad in Dec/Jan my school district has people with a lawsuit trying to shove for 5 days a week and no masks. Being real here.

Since we cannot be sure it is so hard in public. I wish unvaccinated would hush uo and mask. I wish all kids were masked who were not vaccinated indoors. I wish so much that cannot happen, but I'm now wondering realistically what we can do.

Please all reading my posts, I'm not attacking or condoning. I'm just at a loss and have been for a while.

Trauma

Many in leadership downplaying the virus is where it went wrong. Once they did that, they screwed over everyone.

(This includes religious leadership.)

ETA: And people using the virus as a means to grift. (How many quack doctors have we seen in the news...I can think of three just off the top of my head who got lots of exposure.)
Is it really that simple ?

Half the country hates the other half before the virus was even a thing.

Everyone wants to prove how right they are by putting others down.

It is something more sinister than just leadership and whatever it is it’s magnified x100 times by social media.

Btw I’m a guilty as anyone of this.

I’m on here right now arguing with people instead of trying to understand them.

KrzyKtty

Is it really that simple ?

Half the country hates the other half before the virus was even a thing.

Everyone wants to prove how right they are by putting others down.

It is something more sinister than just leadership and whatever it is it’s magnified x100 times by social media.

Btw I’m a guilty as anyone of this.

I’m on here right now arguing with people instead of trying to understand them.
Really, I think it mostly comes down to how divided politically everyone has become. Like you say here, there is too much of an "us vs them" mentality in everything. As soon as the Virus became political, it became a democrat vs republican thing. As soon as that happened, any hope of the vaccine getting to everyone went down the tube. Not saying that there aren't Democrats that refuse the vaccine, and that their aren't Republicans that get it; however, the massive divide isn't helping this at all.

havoc315

Pay attention to the thread. In the post you are quoting I said specifically that if the delta and future variant were as bad as people are making them out we would reach herd immunity. I in no way think they are anywhere near as bad as the doom and gloom crowd. Go back and read the thread, there’s a guy claiming the US will be at 500,000 cases a day in 2 weeks. I said if that happened we would reach herd immunity a lot faster. I don’t think that we will come anywhere close to that level.

That wasn’t part of my conversation at any time.

So either things get really bad and lots of people are infected, which helps accelerate herd immunity or things don’t get that bad so we maintain the status quo and covid continues longer. Once kids under 12 get approved we will get to 70%+ of the total population vaccinated and then we add in natural infections. If cases surge we could hit herd immunity faster and if cases really don’t surge and/or continue down does it even matter then.

It‘s pretty silly to want to make a bet about about herd immunity. As far as 70% by the end of July I will remind you that you said we wouldn‘t hit 70% before Fall and I said we‘d make it by the end of July. We are about on pace for end of July but even if it’s slightly longer we will for sure be there well before the Fall.

You said the exact same thing about getting there for sure by early June, then by the end of June, then maybe a few days after July 4th, then definitely by the end of July.
We certainly might make it by end of August.. we may not make it at all. Though I’m now MORE optimistic of us making it, as I’m hoping Delta is scaring more people into getting vaccinated, the realization that Covid isn’t “over.”

So I did think it would be September as best case scenario, I think Delta may create greater urgency of more people getting vaccinated, which may accelerate best case scenario to August. (I previously said I expected case resurgence is what might promote greater vaccination).

DisneyCane

That is a lie.
No, it isn't a lie. It is a fact. The vaccines are around 90% effective against infection, 95% effective against severe illness and 99% effective against death. Please cite the studies which show any other mitigation method that offers anywhere near that level of protection outside of isolation or never being anywhere near somebody else indoors.

So much incorrect information in this post. Please do some research. (And no, I won’t do it for you.)
What in that post is incorrect? Just saying something isn't correct and telling somebody to do research doesn't contribute anything to the discussion. Exactly what was stated in the post that is incorrect.

Last edited:

Trauma

That wasn’t part of my conversation at any time.

You said the exact same thing about getting there for sure by early June, then by the end of June, then maybe a few days after July 4th, then definitely by the end of July.
We certainly might make it by end of August.. we may not make it at all. Though I’m now MORE optimistic of us making it, as I’m hoping Delta is scaring more people into getting vaccinated, the realization that Covid isn’t “over.”

So I did think it would be September as best case scenario, I think Delta may create greater urgency of more people getting vaccinated, which may accelerate best case scenario to August. (I previously said I expected case resurgence is what might promote greater vaccination).
The 70% you two are arguing over.

Is that enough now that delta is here?

Angel Ariel

First thank you for putting up with my question politely. I am only trying to find how people think. Do you feel an unmasked vaccinated person is a huge risk to your kid?

Something to point out. We have roughly 48 million kids under 12 in the US. Your article said Between 25 and 30 million Americans, many of them children, are living with a rare disease. Which is not the number of kids with rare disease. Many of those with rare diseases have access to the vaccine.

I don't want you to think I am picking on you or saying I don't understand your fears. I actually really do. I've been so frustrated with this whole thing so far and how willing others are to just say I don't care about others and do as they wish. I'm about giving real numbers.

I am concerned that we will not have a vaccine until closer to the end of the year for kids. Just due to lack of information. A month ago Moderna went for 12+. It's taking a longer time than expected for these to come through.

I'm actually fine with wearing masks indoors, except while I am singing - that one I admit I begrudgingly do and hate as I have to use a disposal tied up weird to allow for singing. So don't think I have issues. I am just curious much like food allergies fight, what do we do? Are vaccinated and nkn vaxxed masked okay? Just what is okay for the vast majority of people out there. Meant to be thought provoking for all sides. Not an attack or saying you are wrong. I'm really not sure where we go from here.
I’m not overly concerned about unmasked vaccinated people. I am concerned about the non-vaccinated pretending that they are vaccinated and going unmasked because there’s nothing to stop them from doing so, since places do not require proof of vaccination. I am vaccinated, and I continue to go into stores with masks because I do not trust that everyone in the store who is unmasked is vaccinated, and I need to do what I can to protect my daughter.

we have an older relative who refuses to vaccinate. She has literally said her smallpox vaccine will protect her. She has been hanging out indoors with other non-vaccinated people for months. She has been told she does not get to be indoors with our daughter until either she or our daughter is vaccinated. Since she lives many hours away, this essentially means she can’t see her right now. She doesn’t like it, and I have empathy for that, but it’s her choice.

Such concerns lessen significantly once access to a vaccine for under 12 is possible.

I am a singer too, and singing masked is definitely not fun. I have been teaching my early childhood music classes online since last March (now taking a break because I had foot surgery). If we return in the fall in person, it’ll likely be outdoors, so won’t need to mask - and I am ok with that. (assuming my foot is good to go for dancing and movement on grass by then). But I would not be inclined to return to in person classes indoors right now with kids not having access to the vaccine and knowing how much more transmissible delta is, unless DD were also vaccinated. Then, again, my concerns lessen significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom