Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkadotdress

Maybe its a hair-trigger response on my part from all those bogus pre-vaccine discussions a year ago arguing for "natural herd immunity".

It’s possible.

Its true that’s how we survived diseases throughout human history before vaccines.

Or, as a wise person once said, " Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it."

RobbinsDad

It's true. This is the longest I've gone without catching a cold.

Not that it's realistic to expect this in the future, but we could learn a few things from this pandemic. Working from home if one has a minor cold, washing hands more often, wearing a mask if sick and/or in crowded environments, etc.
This is the biggest post-COVID culture shift I expect to see in the world of work. Sick leave policies will be one of the first things job seekers research, and I expect organizations with robust policies to start promoting them as a competitive employment advantage.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm sure this won't go over well but with the current status of WDW, is there a point to keep this thread going? It seems to lack much WDW discussion anyway as it relates to the virus. I'll duck for cover as I post this...
This would be a much better place if this thread was killed, but we know it would bleed over in the countless others.
In the top right hand corner of the thread there’s an unwatch button. If you click that you stop getting alerts when new posts are made.👍👍👍

lazyboy97o

This is the biggest post-COVID culture shift I expect to see in the world of work. Sick leave policies will be one of the first things job seekers research, and I expect organizations with robust policies to start promoting them as a competitive employment advantage.
I have less optimism than you. More generous sick leave was offered for swine flu and despite largely working was almost immediately revoked.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm sure this won't go over well but with the current status of WDW, is there a point to keep this thread going? It seems to lack much WDW discussion anyway as it relates to the virus. I'll duck for cover as I post this...
Lol...there really has never been a point...

it was mostly a political 💩show...lots of postulation and defiance.

but these things happened and it was what it was. Life is different...Disney parks won’t be much right now...but they also won’t be the same moving forward

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

companies will try to defer even more costs off to their employees...including sick “loss of productivity”

the sharks eat the fish....says the Princeton economics department

Incomudro

We "survived" to the extent that you'd have cycles where a newly prevalent virus might kill 10-20% of the population every now and then.
The Black Death may have wiped out 1/3rd of Europe's population.

We've been "vaccinating" for quite a while even before formal vaccines. George Washington ordered all his troops to be inoculated for small pox-- Even though, at the time, such inoculation would kill about 2-3% of them.
Yes, but now we have vaccines as well as a far better understanding of how these things work, along with infinitely superior medical help, sanitation, hygiene, and living conditions - so that level of mass casualties isn't likely anymore.

havoc315

Yes, but now we have vaccines as well as a far better understanding of how these things work, along with infinitely superior medical help, sanitation, hygiene, and living conditions - so that level of mass casualties isn't likely anymore.

Correct. That's my point. That even when "vaccines" were horrid, they were STILL better than letting the disease run its course.

RobbinsDad

companies will try to defer even more costs off to their employees...including sick “loss of productivity”

the sharks eat the fish....says the Princeton economics department
Successful organizations understand their employer brand and how it represents a competitive labor advantage. It's not about valuing employees, it's the perception of value. Post-COVID, good performers are going to gravitate to organizations they perceive as safer, meaning the organizations with the best leave policies and flexible work options are going to get the best people, ergo competitive advantage. Even in industries where employer safety and wellness hasn't traditionally been a priority for employers (retail sales, food service, etc.), organizations will promote policies that signal they "care"; higher wages can only go so far in recruiting good employees, I believe that sick leave and family leave policies will be second only to pay in terms of importance to workers moving forward.

Of course this may be temporary in the scheme of things - we are a forgetful society.

Tom P.

Successful organizations understand their employer brand and how it represents a competitive labor advantage. It's not about valuing employees, it's the perception of value. Post-COVID, good performers are going to gravitate to organizations they perceive as safer, meaning the organizations with the best leave policies and flexible work options are going to get the best people, ergo competitive advantage. Even in industries where employer safety and wellness hasn't traditionally been a priority for employers (retail sales, food service, etc.), organizations will promote policies that signal they "care"; higher wages can only go so far in recruiting good employees, I believe that sick leave and family leave policies will be second only to pay in terms of importance to workers moving forward.

Of course this may be temporary in the scheme of things - we are a forgetful society.
Extremely forgetful. I suspect that in 5 years, the impact of what happened during Covid will be minimal to nonexistent. People will have moved on.

DisneyDebRob

It will be temporary, you are correct. The front line workers…grocery store employees..delivery people.. big box store employees that were open… all got praise and that big bump in pay, for a month or two and it went right back to the normal.
Our society is shocked by something that happens.. bands together to form a team.. then it quickly breaks down to everyone having different sides. Politics I believe is the major reason for it and I don’t have any reason to believe that it will change. I can continue to hope though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom