Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh I know, but I can't keep looking away from the train wreck :joyfull:
Agreed. I’m just about done with this subject myself, almost there :). I know it’s narrowly focused and I’m sure I’ll get blasted for saying this, but I am fully vaccinated and Covid is becoming less of a focus for me and my family. We are really starting to see a “return to normal” for the Summer around here.

I live in a county that has around 80% of adults with 1 shot and 64% of the total population started (including kids who aren’t even eligible). We had 54 new cases this past week which is the equivalent of 0.92 cases a day per 100K people and zero new deaths. Since the High School ran their first vaccine clinic in May we have had no confirmed cases among high school students. It’s been 3 weeks now since we have had a student at any level test positive. In a few weeks the Governor of PA plans to remove the indoor mask mandates which removes the final covid mitigation measure in place. I don’t anticipate any meaningful bump in cases because the vaccines work and we got enough people vaccinated. The vast majority of my time is spent near home or in a nearby state like NY or NJ that has similar vaccine rates. I know we focus on FL and the National picture here because the focus is WDW, but at the end of the day I feel pretty safe where I am and where I will spend the vast majority of my time.

I would have preferred if the entire country followed the way things happened around here (we would be done for real), but that didn’t happen. I’m not losing sleep over it either. Having less people vaccinated isn’t the same as having no people vaccinated. If there are future outbreaks and mini-waves it won’t likely impact me much locally. I know I will come into contact with people from all over at WDW if/when I visit in August. I know my youngest son isn’t vaccinated yet. That’s probably the only reason I have been so focused on the National picture.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Extremely forgetful. I suspect that in 5 years, the impact of what happened during Covid will be minimal to nonexistent. People will have moved on.
I don’t give it 5 months. “Order” must be restored.
It will be temporary, you are correct. The front line works.. grocery stores.. delivery people.. big box store employees that were open… all got praise and that big bump in pay, for a month or two and it went right back to the normal.
Our society is shocked by something that happens.. bands together to form a team.. then it quickly breaks down to everyone having different sides. Politics I believe is the major reason for it and I don’t have any reason to believe that it will change. I can continue to hope though.
It’s actually more the powers that be want them “back into their cage”...if we’re honest. That’s the undercurrent. Who will win? The handfuls with excessive wealth or the hundreds of million(s) that live more to normal means?

RobbinsDad

Extremely forgetful. I suspect that in 5 years, the impact of what happened during Covid will be minimal to nonexistent. People will have moved on.
Agreed, although I think it might be a little longer than that - probably the span of a generation (15-30 years). Coronavirus is the most impactful event of Gen Z and younger Millenials' lives, and those events shape more than anything else the beliefs and attitudes of the groups. If nothing else they will be the cleanest generation. 🤣

Last edited:

hopemax

This isn't close to over until I'm allowed to start planning our trip to Japan that was supposed to happen in Oct. 2020. If the thread remains, I'll be around to annoy people by pointing out none of us have ever been on the backside of a novel virus pandemic before and so we shouldn't be so sure of ourselves as to how things will play out. Even now. I know I'm supposed to be all "I got mine, so who cares?" But I don't play that way.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
This isn't close to over until I'm allowed to start planning our trip to Japan that was supposed to happen in Oct. 2020. If the thread remains, I'll be around to annoy people by pointing out none of us have ever been on the backside of a novel virus pandemic before and so we shouldn't be so sure of ourselves as to how things will play out. Even now. I know I'm supposed to be all "I got mine, so who cares?" But I don't play that way.
And for me, so long as public transportation in NYC requires them, I'm still on my guard. Well, not really but that'll be the last official hurrah. I've dropped wearing a mask now 90% of the time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed, although I think it might be a little longer than that - probably the span of a generation (15-30 years). Coronavirus is the most impactful event of Gen Z and younger Millenials' lives, and those events shape more than anything else the beliefs and attitudes of the groups. If nothing else they will be the cleanest generation. 🤣
Wow...you gave way more faith in people’s mental ability than I do.

Willmark

Wow...you missed a few (thousand) posts then...
Yep I didn’t read every single post in this thread. I’m sure there were some.

Point being I don’t see anyone in the last several pages advocating (as in I wasn’t) not taking vaccines.

That said it’s up to the individual, I am however against forcing people to take it (a topic a few weeks back) and this is from someone who got his shots several months ago.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep I didn’t read every single post in this thread. I’m sure there were some.

Point being I don’t see anyone in the last several pages advocating (as in I wasn’t) not taking vaccines.

That said it’s up to the individual, I am however against forcing people to take it (a topic a few weeks back) and this is from someone who got his shots several months ago.
Oh...over the last 15 months there has been solid “support” for every kook theory, misdirection and misunderstanding take of the whole episode.

and then they’d all pop back up in rotation. Too many to list.

but it all came back to ground zero: “I want my Disney!” Or some similar thing.
Spoiled people.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Oh...over the last 15 months there has been solid “support” for every kook theory, misdirection and misunderstanding take of the whole episode.

and then they’d all pop back up in rotation. Too many to list.

but it all came back to ground zero: “I want my Disney!” Or some similar thing.
Spoiled people.
But it made for a fabulous game of whack-a-mole. Sometimes they left for good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom