Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas998

No. We’re talking dates from *first confirmed deaths,* not how long it took to start killing people in the first place.

The other reason this is worse is because we have no reliable gauge on how bad the infection has spread. We had a million tests a month out from when CDC first believed H1N1 made US landfall. We still haven’t done the number of tests that South Korea does in a weekend, which means we lost ALL the crucial tIme you need at the beginning of a pandemic. You can not adequately fight a disease of this scope without that data, and so in the meantime it spreads unchecked. We can only trace clusters when people become symptomatic, and COVID-19 has an extraordinary shed time even if you never become symptomatic. All this adds up to is a powderkeg of a public health situation.

Data is necessary for control and we have virtually none.
The key is the lack of data. We have the media acting as if this is the second coming of the black plague when in fact the worst case scenarios from the start was only a fraction of the mortality rate of the black death...and each day as new data does comes to light the situation doesn't look worse, in fact the mortality rate is continually lowered as more data comes in. Sure it isn't an overreaction if someone you knew has died, but overall it certainly looks like an overreaction. In the end it is likely this will have a similar mortality rate as the H1N1 had and the only real difference may be that where H1N1 was more deadly to the young, this virus is more deadly to the old.

PeoplemoverTTA

I keep seeing these reports about 100+ million Americans will become infected. As of yesterday, the CDC shows appx 4,250 cases in the entire USA.

According to theses reports, we will see over 99.9 million new cases even with social distancing and shelter in place being active? Doesn't seem very effective.

And yes, I'm aware that many people haven't been tested and the numbers could be higher. But only 100 people have actually died which is a ridiculously small amount considering there is no vaccine for this and it's been over 4 weeks since cases started popping up.

These are confirmed cases, though, with many areas (including my own) still not having access or providing access freely to tests. While the numbers are all over the place as people make educated (or semi-educated) guesses, one thing that's important is to note is (I believe) that those are people who are expected carry the virus. Not all of them will become infected with COVID-19 or show symptoms. There are likely to be far, far more people who carry the virus than who present with the infection.

thomas998

I keep seeing these reports about 100+ million Americans will become infected. As of yesterday, the CDC shows appx 4,250 cases in the entire USA.

According to theses reports, we will see over 99.9 million new cases even with social distancing and shelter in place being active? Doesn't seem very effective.

And yes, I'm aware that many people haven't been tested and the numbers could be higher. But only 100 people have actually died which is a ridiculously small amount considering there is no vaccine for this and it's been over 4 weeks since cases started popping up.
You have to factor in the media's desire to look for tragedies and dangers everywhere. How many interviews have you seen in the news with people that have recovered from this virus? Can you even think of one? And yet I've seen several with people that talk about how horrible it it is having it and how bad they feel. The media has stoked the fires of fear as much as they could with this... why they are doing it I have no clue.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

The bigger picture says Confirmed cases pass 200,000, more than 8,000 people have died.

Coming your way.

thomas998

These are confirmed cases, though, with many areas (including my own) still not having access or providing access freely to tests. While the numbers are all over the place as people make educated (or semi-educated) guesses, one thing that's important is to note is (I believe) that those are people who are expected carry the virus. Not all of them will become infected with COVID-19 or show symptoms. There are likely to be far, far more people who carry the virus than who present with the infection.
I think the last report has 86% being asymptomatic carriers... Which is a very big number and indicates that this is a far less deadly disease than most people think.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

The 100 million was talking about scenarios where we did not start social distancing. There was an alternate theory that we should just do nothing and go about business as usual and let he virus run it’s course. If we did that a third of the population could end up infected and it would happen much faster. If people actually follow the social distancing less people will get sick overall and spread over a longer period of time to keep from overrunning the hospitals.

techgeek

The key is the lack of data. We have the media acting as if this is the second coming of the black plague when in fact the worst case scenarios from the start was only a fraction of the mortality rate of the black death...and each day as new data does comes to light the situation doesn't look worse, in fact the mortality rate is continually lowered as more data comes in. Sure it isn't an overreaction if someone you knew has died, but overall it certainly looks like an overreaction. In the end it is likely this will have a similar mortality rate as the H1N1 had and the only real difference may be that where H1N1 was more deadly to the young, this virus is more deadly to the old.

Here is some data, illustrating exactly what happens if we take different mitigation strategies (or none at all). This is a very important study:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not according to the last American Hospital Association study on the number of ICUs in the US. The total number in the country was over 84,000 and between 31 and 54 thousand were available for use right now. So we are hardly running close to capacity more like we are closer to 50% of capacity.
Was that done recently? We are in the middle of a pretty bad flu season. A lot of those beds are filled already with flu patients.

ToTBellHop

I think the last report has 86% being asymptomatic carriers... Which is a very big number and indicates that this is a far less deadly disease than most people think.
When they say “asymptomatic”, they don’t really mean “never showing symptoms”. While estimates suggest upwards of 90% spend time a symptomatic, most will feel ill at some point. But for most, any symptoms are “mild,” meaning no hospitalization. I’ve read perhaps 10% truly show no symptoms.

We just aren’t testing people who merely have a sore throat.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The bigger picture says Confirmed cases pass 200,000, more than 8,000 people have died.

Coming your way.
You have to factor in the media's desire to look for tragedies and dangers everywhere. How many interviews have you seen in the news with people that have recovered from this virus? Can you even think of one? And yet I've seen several with people that talk about how horrible it it is having it and how bad they feel. The media has stoked the fires of fear as much as they could with this... why they are doing it I have no clue.
Very true. The recovery rate is the last thing the media cares to discuss.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When they say “asymptomatic”, they don’t really mean “never showing symptoms”. While estimates suggest upwards of 90% spend time a symptomatic, most will feel ill at some point. But for most, any symptoms are “mild,” meaning no hospitalization. I’ve read perhaps 10% truly show no symptoms.

When they talk about mild they just mean not needing hospitalization. My wife had the flu in December and didn’t need to be in the hospital but she was knocked out in bed suffering for about a week. It’s not pleasant at all. I think some of the people out in crowds and not following suggestions hear “mild“ and not in a high risk group and think it will be just like a cold or the sniffles. It could be, but it may be a lot worse too.

thomas998

But give it is the cold and flu season and moving into the spring allergy season, having a sore throat or runny nose might as well be asymptomatic because most people don't run to the doctor for such minor things or even think they should avoid other people because of a runny nose.

ToTBellHop

When they talk about mild they just mean not needing hospitalization. My wife had the flu in December and didn’t need to be in the hospital but she was knocked out in bed suffering for about a week. It’s not pleasant at all. I think some of the people out in crowds and not following suggestions hear “mild“ and not in a high risk group and think it will be just like a cold or the sniffles. It could be, but it may be a lot worse too.
This feels like a very bad flu to me. When I think “cold”, I think of copious amounts of snot. I’m not very snotty with this. It’s far more systemic. But I’ll be fine.

The Mom

Premium Member
I get a bit upset when people paint all millennials with a broad brush, as my children are in that age group - I did not have children until later in life so am about a decade behind most Boomers. I know many young people on a more personal level than their bosses/co-workers do - and have watched their growing up and how their path has been different than mine. Not better or worse; just different. At least until now. I fear that they may be facing an economic crisis that hasn't existed in almost a century - I hope I am wrong.

I also am a Boomer, and both my husband and I are the youngest in our respective families. We have friends of varied ages because of our many hobbies.

But to assume that all people in the high risk group - even those over 80 - are feeble old people who are just waiting to die is just not true. Perhaps all of the old people you have encountered fit that description, but that would be as wrong as them assuming that all people in their 20s/30s are the same as the young woman in an earlier video.

My brother (78) is still working from home - and has to turn down clients because he has too much work. One BIL (79) just got back from a skiing trip in January with his grandchildren, and he continued to ski black diamond runs just as he has done for decades. His daughter finally convinced him to not teach med students this week, and he had to cancel his yearly trip to operate in 3rd world countries this year. Another BIL(79) is not helping with income taxes this year, nor will he run any Spring marathons, but is still running daily, and is consulting with the Dept of Health as he is an Epidemiologist. He has been doing tele meetings with various groups since his "retirement" a few years ago. Two of our friends still coach - one will be turning 90 this month, and retired from medicine a few years ago. The same with another friend of the same age- he has had to stop working as a volunteer at a free clinic for the duration. My husband is currently out rowing by himself as it fits social distancing guideline - he does not come within 6 feet of anyone. I myself have been sidelined as a sports official because of this, so I am staying at home or in my yard for the duration.

So please be careful when you describe the high risk group as old, feeble, and should be ready to go. I have a few more items on my bucket list, thank you very much!

thomas998

Was that done recently? We are in the middle of a pretty bad flu season. A lot of those beds are filled already with flu patients.
Very recent it was out March 17th of this year in an article titled " American Hospital Capacity and Projected Need for COVID-19 Patient Care". I don't think you'll be able to find any more recent articles than that.

ImperfectPixie

They're basically doing this same thing in our town, too, but I think these guys approached it in a much better way. The press release our PD sent out was very scary looking/sounding.

pensacola.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Very recent it was out March 17th of this year in an article titled " American Hospital Capacity and Projected Need for COVID-19 Patient Care". I don't think you'll be able to find any more recent articles than that.
This association? They seem to be pretty concerned about a shortage (especially of ventilators):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom