Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnese

Well they're not wrong that the facial expressions are a big part of sign and used to express tone. It's facial grammar, and one of my favorite things about the language. Everything from which direction you pull your eyebrows, to widening your eyes, to nodding your head can be facial grammar and is an important part of the language. It's who interpreters tend to look so dramatic and theatrical.
Ok....
I've still learned that they make strange faces.

kong1802

I’m perfectly willing to listen to both sides. I just haven’t seen anywhere that it’s being reported that this is all overblown or an overreaction outside of a few “conspiracy theory” based talking heads. Even they seem to have backed off that narrative. I would love to see some information or studies from anyone reputable that shows this isn’t as bad as the so called experts all seem to unilaterally agree on. That would be a blessing if true. I certainly don’t want this to turn out bad, but wishing for a better outcome isn’t going to get me anywhere.

This.

On one side it seems we have the world's #1 virus guy telling us what to do, and on the other we have wild speculation based off of tweets.................

I'm sticking with the PHD's on this one..........

Ponderer

The reality is you can find a study to say whatever you want. Just look at global warming, I can find studies that say the end is near or studies that say its a hoax... Same thing applies here only the media has decided that they don't want to report anything except the doom and gloom sky is falling stuff. The result right now is hysterical panic, why else would people be fighting over toilet tissue. The next stage of this will be acceptance of the danger but when the danger never manifests as the people are led to believe it will they will likely start ignoring the media.. it will be like the boy who cried wolf.

I really hate this. The media is basically reporting what medical authorities are begging them to get out, and inevitably, it's "doom and gloom." And it's always like this. There is no crisis that's not going to have an enormous chunk of people saying, "Oh, wow, you go ahead and do your panic thing." They literally based the Superman mythos around the idea that the resting state of people is to basically ignore bad stuff until it bites them on the tuchus.

And what's worse, success in the past - or having lived through other stuff - makes people complacent or even denialist. I saw someone post about the "Y2K hysteria" a few days ago, and that just frigging incensed me. There was no Y2K meltdown BC great engineers worked their fingers to the bone for years to redo code and rebuild systems to prevent that from happening.

Disasters are averted by really smart people engaging with the crisis, usually with the barest smidgen of credit, while a swarm of Johnny-know-it-alls smugly make dismissive pronouncements from their easy chairs. And society succeeds in flattening the curve, keeping the rate of infection low enough that it doesn't swamp our health care system, it's all going to be yammering about "media hysterics" and what not. There won't be any talk about how a lot fewer people died because we took maximum steps to band together and prevent the worst case scenario.

JusticeDisney

And most everything the media has been spewing 24/7 has been worst case scenarios based on guesses by modelers. It is causing more problems than it is helping and when the dust settles and the entire mess turns out to be much less deadly than we were led to believe the public will be even less likely to heed any warning in the future when something even worse actually comes about.
Yeah, either that or things will turn out much less deadly BECAUSE everyone “overreacted” and took drastic steps to stop the spread.

TrainsOfDisney

Well some of those ideas aren’t possible.... if someone doesn’t have a smart phone they should still be able to order at a restaurant.

And besides... the lines for picking up mobile orders are the same as people waiting for regular food.

But that’s just one small piece of a much larger puzzle.

The Mom

Premium Member
The reality is you can find a study to say whatever you want. Just look at global warming, I can find studies that say the end is near or studies that say its a hoax... Same thing applies here only the media has decided that they don't want to report anything except the doom and gloom sky is falling stuff. The result right now is hysterical panic, why else would people be fighting over toilet tissue. The next stage of this will be acceptance of the danger but when the danger never manifests as the people are led to believe it will they will likely start ignoring the media.. it will be like the boy who cried wolf.

This is happening now, but the issues, and justifications given, were very different.

I was an adult during the oil crisis - we were told that we had to conserve energy, buy smaller and more full efficient cars, and odd/even gasoline days and waiting in line would be the new normal - because we were running out of oil and better to suffer a bit now rather than our grandchildren living in a cold, dark world. I don't think I was the only one who "bought" the we're running out of oil scenario and then felt like a fool when I discovered it was just OPEC trying to keep the prices high.

I understand that this is very different, and will have more serious consequences if people who disregard guidelines are wrong, but we've been fooled before. I have no problem with social distancing - although I wish they would call it physical distancing. Leaving your home to take a walk in the forest is very different than going to a crowded bar. But lack of societal common sense makes a one size fits all directive necessary.

I personally am taking precautions very seriously, and am not dismissing this as nothing. I'm just trying to explain why some people who should be the most concerned about this are being so nonchalant.

As someone said, when people are in the background trying to avert disaster, and they succeed, the general population has no way of really knowing. It wasn't until I was an adult that I fully realized how much danger we were in during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

"Suspending meet and greets with face characters, which includes the Disney princesses. "

At non-face characters at that much less risk the face characters?
I read this and said to myself.. ok, where do people go? I understand what they might be doing but can’t put it together in my head. Main Street stores? No parades or fireworks? Like I said, makes sense with what’s going on but what do you do or where do you go?
Your almost better off just staying closed until this whole thing runs its course.

ImperfectPixie

"Suspending meet and greets with face characters, which includes the Disney princesses. "

At non-face characters at that much less risk the face characters?
I think the logic is that there's a barrier (effective or not, I wouldn't pretend to guess) for characters that aren't face characters.

Giss Neric

I read this and said to myself.. ok, where do people go? I understand what they might be doing but can’t put it together in my head. Main Street stores? No parades or fireworks? Like I said, makes sense with what’s going on but what do you do or where do you go?
Well, a modified theme park experience is better than no experience. Some people will look at it as the price is not worth all the limited offerings but some will just be contented that it's open.

It sucks though with no parades and fireworks...at least we get to see a brand new castle 😁

asianway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom