Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seascape

The number of cases in the US keep going up, now 20.54 per 100,000. Why? It is the young, but that makes no sense because the young are supposedly better educated so they should ne following the rules. The elderly cases are down significantly because they are vaccinated and followed the rules. Anyway, Michigan which has only 3% of the US population has 11.2% of the cases! However to face the facts it is not just Michigan, the states in singme digits are down to 8 and those in the 10's are 23. Florida is still in 11th place with 28 cases per 100,000.

Vaccinations is the US are now at 35% of people receiving at least 1 shot. Since the studies have shown the one shot from either Pfizer or Moderna are highly effective and the vast majority go back for their second shot, this in my opinion is the number to look at. According to the NY Times 8 states are over 40% with one shot. We are reaching the tipping point. There are still 19 days left in April and if we all do our part and sign up for the vaccine ASAP we can beat Covid19 this month. Sign up, wash your hands and social distance for just a few more weeks. We can then all enjoy Memorial Day and the start of a Summer without Covid19.

Disney Experience

Woo hoo! I figured she had the real deal from what you said before. Glad it was confirmed. Surprising it took so long to unblind. Not sure when you found out but I know it wasn't long after me. And my friend in J&J was unblinded weeks ago. Must have been hard wondering. Thanks again to you both for doing trials! Glad you both were fully vaccinated!
They called her some time ago to schedule a visit to inform her whether she got the Moderna vaccine or Placebo. Moderna would not let them tell her over the phone unlike Pfizer, so we had to plan a 3 hour roundtrip to go to site just for reveal and then the real vaccine would be administered that day if she had Placebo.

When the week of that appointment (well over a month ago) arrived they called her again. That was the week that a cold spell in the country delayed Moderna shipments nationwide. They said they would reschedule.

I asked her many weeks later if they called back, and she said no. She called a number of times finally reaching them and they just gave her the date of her 6 months study visit and would reveal it then.

When we arrived for that visit and before they revealed they said that she should have had a reveal before March 15th , after that date if the reveal ( and it was now April) showed she had Placebo they would not be able to get her the vaccine.

Luckily the reveal showed she was given the vaccine not the placebo in Sept/October.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

The number of cases in the US keep going up, now 20.54 per 100,000. Why? It is the young, but that makes no sense because the young are supposedly better educated so they should be following the rules.
R49dbbf6e530d1af3d2f9f45e73107a4c.gif

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unfortunately the trial technically ends in 2023, so that might be awhile.
They need to get to 6 months of data to apply. That‘s standard practice, not sped up for Covid. The trial continues for 2 more years to track any potential safety issues and also to potentially determine if/when the vaccine efficacy begins to fail. The trial participants are unblinded at this point so it’s just tracking them to see if any issues pop up. Back in November when EUA was issued they said April or May for full approval. I haven’t heard about Pfizer or Moderna preparing to file for full approval yet, but it could happen soon. The main change is employers could start to mandate the vaccine if they decide it‘s necessary once full approval is issued. It’s not common practice to mandate a vaccine that’s under EUA. I’m not sure that’s ever happened so a court would have to decide.

ParentsOf4

That is funny but I bet kids that age are following the rules. It is the college students who aren't.
The young have been inundated with (mis)information that they are invincible. Thus, they do not see this as their war.
The current vaccination rate in my state of Georgia by age:

1618150938759.png

Vaccines currently are open to everyone age 16 and above. As mentioned in the below article, there are unused vaccine slots in much of Georgia.

In Mississippi, 73,000 Vaccine Slots and Few Takers

Andrew Jacobs
Fri, April 9, 2021, 8:08 AM

When it comes to getting the coronavirus vaccine, Mississippi residents have an abundance of options. On Thursday, there were more than 73,000 slots to be had on the state’s scheduling website, up from 68,000 on Tuesday.

In some ways, the growing glut of appointments in Mississippi is something to celebrate: It reflects the mounting supplies that have prompted states across the country to open up eligibility to anyone over 16.

But public health experts say the pileup of unclaimed appointments in Mississippi exposes something more worrisome: the large number of people who are reluctant to get inoculated.

“It’s time to do the heavy lifting needed to overcome the hesitancy we’re encountering,” said Dr. Obie McNair, an internal medicine practitioner in Jackson, the state capital, whose office has a plentiful supply of vaccines but not enough takers.

Although access remains a problem in rural Mississippi, experts say that the state — one of the first to open eligibility to all adults three weeks ago — may be a harbinger of what much of the country will confront in the coming weeks, as increasing supplies enable most Americans who want the vaccine to easily make appointments.

The hesitancy has national implications. Experts say between 70% to 90% of all Americans must be vaccinated for the country to reach herd immunity, the point at which the virus can no longer spread through the population.

When it comes to rates of vaccination, Mississippi still has a way to go, with just a quarter of all residents having received at least one dose compared with the nationwide average of 33%, according to state data. Other Southern states, among them Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama and Georgia, have similarly low rates of vaccination.

A closer look at Mississippi’s demographics explains why hesitancy may be especially pronounced. The state reliably votes Republican, a group that remains highly skeptical of the coronavirus vaccine. Nearly half of all Republican men and 40% of Republicans overall have said they do not plan to get vaccinated, according to several recent surveys. Those figures have barely budged in the months since vaccines first became available. By contrast, just 4% of Democrats have said they will not get the vaccine.

Another factor in the state’s low vaccination rate may be Mississippi’s large Black community, which comprises 38% of the state’s population but accounts for 31% of the doses administered, according to state data. Vaccine hesitancy remains somewhat high among African Americans, although the doubts and distrust — tied largely to past government malfeasance like the notorious Tuskegee syphilis experiments — have markedly declined in recent months.

According to a survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation released last week, about 55% of Black adults said they had been vaccinated or planned to be soon, up 14 percentage points from February, a rate that approaches those of Hispanics, at 61%, and whites, at 64%.

A number of other heavily Republican states are also finding themselves with surfeits of doses. On Thursday, officials in Oklahoma, which has delivered at least one dose to 34% of its residents, announced they would open up eligibility to out-of-state residents, and in recent weeks, Republican governors in Ohio and Georgia voiced concern about the lackluster vaccine demand among their residents.

Tim Callaghan, an assistant professor at the Texas A&M University School of Public Health and an expert on vaccine skepticism, said that more research was needed to divine the reasons behind Mississippi’s slackening vaccine demand but that states with large rural populations, Republican voters and African Americans were likely to be the first to confront the problem. “If you’re looking to see vaccine hesitancy to emerge, it’s going to be in red states like Mississippi,” he said.

Mississippi officials are well aware of the challenge. On Tuesday, Gov. Tate Reeves held a news conference with a panel of medical experts who sought to dispel some of the misinformation surrounding the vaccines. They tried to explain the vaccine development process, rebutted claims that the vaccine can cause miscarriages and recounted their own personal experiences after getting the shot.

“I had about 18 hours of turbulence,” Reeves said, describing the mild, flulike symptoms he had felt after his second injection. “But I was able to continue and move on and work, and I feel much better waking up every day knowing that I have been vaccinated.”

Access is still a challenge in swaths of rural Mississippi, especially among African Americans who live far from the drive-thru vaccination sites in urban areas that account for roughly half the doses administered by the state. The scheduling system has also proved frustrating for the poor and for older people, who often lack internet access to book appointments or the transportation to get them to distant vaccination sites.

“We’ve got to take the vaccines to the people, to pop-up locations that don’t require internet or registration in advance,” said Pam Chatman, the founder of Boss Lady Workforce Transportation, a system of minivans that has been ferrying residents in the Mississippi Delta to mass vaccination locations.

Demand among African Americans was still robust, she said, noting long lines that formed this week outside a tent in Indianola, a small city in the Delta, where the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine was being offered. (The tents offering the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, which require two doses, were nearly empty.)

But hesitancy is rife. Dr. Vernon Rayford, an internal medicine doctor in Tupelo, said he had been frustrated by patients who offered up a variety of reasons for rejecting the vaccine. They claim it will give them COVID-19 or render them infertile, and they worry about unknown repercussions that might emerge decades down the road. “I’ve heard some really wacky theories,” he said.

Rayford, who sees patients of all races, said he had discerned subtle differences in the skepticism: African Americans voice mistrust of the health care system, while whites express a more amorphous distrust of government. “It’s like that line from ‘Anna Karenina,’” he said. “‘All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.’”

Dr. Brian Castrucci, president of the de Beaumont Foundation, which focuses on public health, has been working on ways to allay such fears. Castrucci, an epidemiologist, is especially worried about young conservatives, ages 18 to 34; he cited a recent survey that found that 55% of college-educated Republican women under age 49 would not get vaccinated.

“Its polls like these that keep me awake at night,” he said.

The biggest obstacles to greater vaccine acceptance, he said, are the misinformation that flourishes on social media and the mixed messaging from Republican governors that leave people confused.

“By relaxing COVID restrictions, elected leaders in states like Florida, Mississippi, Texas and Georgia are pushing narratives about coronavirus that are working against a narrative that promotes the urgency of vaccinations,” he said. “And unfortunately, our vaccine campaigns are being undone late at night by Facebook and Twitter and Instagram.”

Until now, Mississippi health officials have been focusing much of their vaccine hesitancy efforts on African American and Hispanic residents through partnerships with churches and health clinics. Reeves, a Republican, has so far declined to single out skepticism among white conservatives in the state, but health officials said they were planning to address the problem through Facebook and Zoom meetings with local organizations.

Public health experts say what’s needed are well-crafted messages delivered by doctors, religious leaders and other figures who are trusted in a particular community. Dr. Thomas Friedan, a former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who took part in a focus group with vaccine-hesitant Trump voters that was organized last month by the de Beaumont Foundation, said participants wanted their fears acknowledged, and they craved factual information without being lectured or belittled.

“There isn’t one right way to communicate about vaccines, but you need multiple messages with multiple messengers,” said Friedan, who leads the health advocacy group Resolve to Save Lives. “And people don’t want to hear from politicians.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The young have been inundated with (mis)information that they are invincible. Thus, they do not see this as their war.
One of the truly tragic aspects of this whole pandemic. Age is a major factor in how likely you are to die from Covid and that somehow warped into Covid is not a risk for anyone who is young and healthy. If you are young and healthy and get Covid you are statistically less likely to die...that is a fact. However, you can still get seriously ill and even hospitalized which for most people will include a minimum $10K hospital bill. In certain areas up to 1/3 of the people hospitalized these days are under 45. In addition to hospitalization, which is still not common, there are still other negative outcomes:
  • You are still guaranteed to miss a week or 2 of work while you are quarantining which either depletes your paid sick days if you are lucky enough to have them or you go up to 2 weeks with no pay
  • Even if you aren’t hospitalized you still could suffer with flu like symptoms, a lasting cough and loss of taste and/or smell. There seems to be a narrative that anyone young and healthy who gets covid gets a mild case, that’s simply not true. The number of people who are asymptomatic or mild is probably around half or less. So a coin toss on whether you have some pretty nasty symptoms.
  • Even a portion of the young and healthy people who had mild cases are experiencing long haul symptoms including life threatening blood clots that could lead to stroke, serious heart conditions with swelling, long term lung damage, long term loss of taste and smell and long term fatigue.
So IMHO there should be a concerted effort to “advertise“ these things, just like the cigarette adds. Lay out all of these potential bad outcomes for young and healthy people and compare that to going to get a free vaccine that takes 15 mins of your life (30 mins for Pfizer and Moderna with 2 shots) and for the majority of people mild flu like symptoms potentially for a day. If you lay it all out that way it’s hard to imagine too many people will say, “yeah, it’s worth taking all those potential risks to avoid having to get the vaccine”. We need to re-focus people’s attention away from death and on the other possible negative outcomes which when taken in aggregate are actually much more likely of occurring even in the young and healthy.

Touchdown

I think we’re seeing vaccinations really starting to make headway, we are quickly approaching that “Magic 40%” of people starting vaccinations that started the decrease in cases nationwide in Israel. Which should hopefully take hold next week. Cases in NY, NJ and MI are already going down but other Great Lake States like IL, MN and my state WI have slowly been creaping up. Here’s WI’s cases:

26E6C28A-3A53-421C-B885-D6D880FBC23C.jpeg
It’s a little hard to tell but yesterday was the first time in over a week cases decreased, if the 40% hypothesis is correct cases should flatline in my state this week because here’s our vaccination charts, first partially vaccinated:

765445A4-72A2-4842-8B50-D39F2E44BF47.jpeg

And fully vaccinated:
7A1FFF14-1916-4234-B6CF-6B7ED165D6BA.jpeg
Cases have flattened nationwide, we should begin seeing them drop sometime in the next 14 days, however the SE US is significantly behind the natl average and still at risk of a surge so that might hamper results.

*All charts taken from the WI DHS site.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think we’re seeing vaccinations really starting to make headway, we are quickly approaching that “Magic 40%” of people starting vaccinations that started the decrease in cases nationwide in Israel. Which should hopefully take hold next week. Cases in NY, NJ and MI are already going down but other Great Lake States like IL, MN and my state WI have slowly been creaping up. Here’s WI’s cases:

View attachment 547466It’s a little hard to tell but yesterday was the first time in over a week cases decreased, if the 40% hypothesis is correct cases should flatline in my state this week because here’s our vaccination charts, first partially vaccinated:

View attachment 547468
And fully vaccinated:
View attachment 547469Cases have flattened nationwide, we should begin seeing them drop sometime in the next 14 days, however the SE US is significantly behind the natl average and still at risk of a surge so that might hamper results.

*All charts taken from the WI DHS site.
Illinois officials have been very specific in stating that many of the new cases are centered around indoor high school sports such as basketball and hockey. Apparently, they're not only playing together but kids, parents and friends are also congregating before and after games. Also, a super spreader event took place downstate when a bar held a grand opening event without masks and social distancing. The suspicion is that the more highly transmissible variant is spreading through the population not yet able to get vaccinated.

Touchdown

Illinois officials have been very specific in stating that many of the new cases are centered around indoor high school sports such as basketball and hockey. Apparently, they're not only playing together but kids, parents and friends are also congregating before and after games. Also, a super spreader event took place downstate when a bar held a grand opening event without masks and social distancing. The suspicion is that the more highly transmissible variant is spreading through the population not yet able to get vaccinated.
Not judging, I’m just really glad we have the vaccines, because the Midwest was about to have a massive surge again but the rate of our vaccinations should significantly blunt it.

Chi84

Premium Member
Not judging, I’m just really glad we have the vaccines, because the Midwest was about to have a massive surge again but the rate of our vaccinations should significantly blunt it.
Illinois has around 12 million people, with over 5 million making up the greater Chicagoland area. The state is basically divided in two between Chicago and what we call "downstate." In Chicago, demand for the vaccine is far outpacing supply, to the extent that the governor is urging Chicagoans to travel to the suburbs and beyond despite the fact that Chicago gets its own supply of vaccine from the federal government.

Downstate is a different story. There are appointment slots that are going unfilled, and someone posted here that an entire town will not wear masks because they hate the governor. They're apparently taking their own path to herd immunity, although I wouldn't recommend it.

The good news is that even though cases are greatly increasing, most of the people likely to get seriously sick have been vaccinated, at least partially. Hospitalizations are nowhere near where they were several months ago. Basically, it's a race between the vaccine and the virus.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
One of the truly tragic aspects of this whole pandemic. Age is a major factor in how likely you are to die from Covid and that somehow warped into Covid is not a risk for anyone who is young and healthy. If you are young and healthy and get Covid you are statistically less likely to die...that is a fact. However, you can still get seriously ill and even hospitalized which for most people will include a minimum $10K hospital bill. In certain areas up to 1/3 of the people hospitalized these days are under 45. In addition to hospitalization, which is still not common, there are still other negative outcomes:
  • You are still guaranteed to miss a week or 2 of work while you are quarantining which either depletes your paid sick days if you are lucky enough to have them or you go up to 2 weeks with no pay
  • Even if you aren’t hospitalized you still could suffer with flu like symptoms, a lasting cough and loss of taste and/or smell. There seems to be a narrative that anyone young and healthy who gets covid gets a mild case, that’s simply not true. The number of people who are asymptomatic or mild is probably around half or less. So a coin toss on whether you have some pretty nasty symptoms.
  • Even a portion of the young and healthy people who had mild cases are experiencing long haul symptoms including life threatening blood clots that could lead to stroke, serious heart conditions with swelling, long term lung damage, long term loss of taste and smell and long term fatigue.
So IMHO there should be a concerted effort to “advertise“ these things, just like the cigarette adds. Lay out all of these potential bad outcomes for young and healthy people and compare that to going to get a free vaccine that takes 15 mins of your life (30 mins for Pfizer and Moderna with 2 shots) and for the majority of people mild flu like symptoms potentially for a day. If you lay it all out that way it’s hard to imagine too many people will say, “yeah, it’s worth taking all those potential risks to avoid having to get the vaccine”. We need to re-focus people’s attention away from death and on the other possible negative outcomes which when taken in aggregate are actually much more likely of occurring even in the young and healthy.

I was talking with a co-worker who just had it, didn't require hospitalization and it recovering fine, but he is one of the these people who had odd symptoms. No respiratory symptoms, but had fever and really bad vertigo to the point where he pretty much couldn't get out bed for two weeks. As he so aptly said "I wouldn't wish this on anyone".

Personally, I am pretty low risk for a severe case, but I will take the vaccine if it can help me avoid something like that. I get the flu vaccine every year, not because I think the flu could kill me, but simply because I don't like being sick.

Jenny72

The debate about mitigation measures working reminds me of "abstinence" sex education. If people follow abstinence, they will not get pregnant or get STDs. That is a fact. However, there's no evidence that abstinence-only education reduces teenage pregnancy and STDs; in fact, areas with that policy seem to have *higher* rates. We don't use that data to argue that abstinence has no effect on pregnancy rates; instead, we reason that people are just ignoring the advice they're getting and doing what they want anyway. Human nature and hormones and all that.

If people actually stringently followed social distancing/mask-wearing, etc., it would work. They just don't, and there's no real correlation with the advice they're getting. It does make me wonder if it would have been more helpful to focus on safer ways to do things, rather than emphasize what people couldn't do, following the protocol of effective sex ed. But in the current political climate, it's not clear that any advice coming from scientists/politicians would have worked.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The debate about mitigation measures working reminds me of "abstinence" sex education. If people follow abstinence, they will not get pregnant or get STDs. That is a fact. However, there's no evidence that abstinence-only education reduces teenage pregnancy and STDs; in fact, areas with that policy seem to have *higher* rates. We don't use that data to argue that abstinence has no effect on pregnancy rates; instead, we reason that people are just ignoring the advice they're getting and doing what they want anyway. Human nature and hormones and all that.

If people actually stringently followed social distancing/mask-wearing, etc., it would work. They just don't, and there's no real correlation with the advice they're getting. It does make me wonder if it would have been more helpful to focus on safer ways to do things, rather than emphasize what people couldn't do, following the protocol of effective sex ed. But in the current political climate, it's not clear that any advice coming from scientists/politicians would have worked.
Isn’t that exactly what happened? The initial stay at home orders in March 2020 were broad but once we re-opened in May/June it was all about how to re-open and do things safer instead of keeping everything closed. For example, we determined that retail stores could be open as long as people wore a mask and stayed 6 feet apart. The government didn’t say no retail stores at all they gave a way they could be open safely. WDW opening, same story. Outdoor dining with tables spaced was allowed almost everywhere due to it being the more safe way to do things, eventually indoor dining opened many places with capacity limits and tables distanced. These are all examples of focusing on ways to do things safer instead of telling people they couldn’t do them. Even for personal, in home interactions the recommendation has always been that if you choose to get together with someone outside of your home you should do it outdoors if possible and always wear masks and stay 6 feet apart. the safe way to do things was clearly laid out.

The bigger issue is people didn’t want to follow those precautions so they constantly fought the ”science“ behind them like pushing the narrative that masks don’t work or that Covid was a hoax or deaths were overstated or it was a political ploy to ruin a candidate. People were given clear guidelines by the CDC on how to do things safely they just chose to ignore them anyway and go as far as dispute them based on conspiracy theories and false narratives. So I don’t buy this narrative that people would have been more willing to “do the right thing” if there were less restrictions. I see no evidence at all that would be the case. If anything in places where restrictions were more relaxed there was less compliance with the ones that were imposed. I agree that there was little the government could do to influence all of the people. I do think if we had a more clear and consistent message from all levels of government it would have helped. Having each state do their own thing but then have localities doing something different and then for a long period having parts of the federal government contradict itself and the other levels on a regular basis added to the confusion.

Jenny72

Sigh, yes, I suppose I'm trying too hard to give people the benefit of the doubt. The fact is, we might ironically have had fewer deaths if the virus were more consistently deadly. You presumably wouldn't see people boasting about their freedom to not wear masks or get vaccines, if the virus were more like ebola. But of course I'm not wishing for that at all, just lamenting that the specific qualities of this disease made it ideal for people looking to politicize it, to spin conspiracies, or to accuse others of living in fear. In other words, it is yet another thing to argue about and be angry about instead of working together like a functional community.

DC0703

The bigger issue is people didn’t want to follow those precautions so they constantly fought the ”science“ behind them like pushing the narrative that masks don’t work or that Covid was a hoax or deaths were overstated or it was a political ploy to ruin a candidate. People were given clear guidelines by the CDC on how to do things safely they just chose to ignore them anyway and go as far as dispute them based on conspiracy theories and false narratives. So I don’t buy this narrative that people would have been more willing to “do the right thing” if there were less restrictions. I see no evidence at all that would be the case. If anything in places where restrictions were more relaxed there was less compliance with the ones that were imposed. I agree that there was little the government could do to influence all of the people. I do think if we had a more clear and consistent message from all levels of government it would have helped. Having each state do their own thing but then have localities doing something different and then for a long period having parts of the federal government contradict itself and the other levels on a regular basis added to the confusion.
There is so much disinformation out there that people can easily latch onto whatever confirms their beliefs and makes them feel good. Don't like COVID restrictions? Those death numbers are all inflated per this source. Scared of the vaccine? This other source says millions are secretly being killed by the vaccines. Masks both you? This study says they are ineffective. It goes on and on. The quality of the information is not important.

That is what is sad about our world in 2021 - people are so used to being able to find media sources that cater to only what they want to hear that they are incapable of accepting any reality that doesn't fit their personal desires, even if it puts their safety at risk.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sigh, yes, I suppose I'm trying too hard to give people the benefit of the doubt. The fact is, we might ironically have had fewer deaths if the virus were more consistently deadly. You presumably wouldn't see people boasting about their freedom to not wear masks or get vaccines, if the virus were more like ebola. But of course I'm not wishing for that at all, just lamenting that the specific qualities of this disease made it ideal for people looking to politicize it, to spin conspiracies, or to accuse others of living in fear. In other words, it is yet another thing to argue about and be angry about instead of working together like a functional community.
Covid hit the jackpot as a virus. Pretty highly contagious, not particularly deadly and easy to spread asymptomatically and/or pre-symptomatic with a longer incubation period. If for example the virus just manifested much sooner, like you were sick within a day of exposure and you always had symptoms but weren’t contagious until you showed symptoms it would have been much easier to test and trace successfully. The quarantine periods would also be several days vs several weeks. Much different outcome.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is so much disinformation out there that people can easily latch onto whatever confirms their beliefs and makes them feel good. Don't like COVID restrictions? Those death numbers are all inflated per this source. Scared of the vaccine? This other source says millions are secretly being killed by the vaccines. Masks both you? This study says they are ineffective. It goes on and on. The quality of the information is not important.

That is what is sad about our world in 2021 - people are so used to being able to find media sources that cater to only what they want to hear that they are incapable of accepting any reality that doesn't fit their personal desires, even if it puts their safety at risk.
Yes, this pandemic has highlighted the true dangers that social media and the internet have created. The social media echo chamber is one of the biggest threats to our society.

Patcheslee

Our first confirmed work case was back in March of last year. He was talking about it Friday and said his was just a fever. I asked him if the doctor had tested him for antibodies or asked him to, he said no. So asked him if he was getting the vaccine, again answer is no: cause he already had Covid last year and it "wasn't that bad".
I'm surprised they haven't asked for antibody testing to determine if he's still carrying immunity. Isn't that something still being researched at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom