Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Who was saying this wouldn’t happen soon? By Easter they’ll be filling every ride
It’s the only way to get ride capacity up which is the only way to allow more people in. Letting parks “sell out” is leaving money on the table. This was the inevitable next step. Keep in mind you are on the ride for well under 15 mins and both you and everyone else are wearing a mask so 2 of the 3 covid protocols still in place.

correcaminos

I've been on this forum for nearly a decade, mostly as a reader, but occasional poster. In the first 9 years, I think I had 1 forum member on my ignore list (a fairly notorious one). This thread has caused that list to grow substantially. :)
I want to joke about things, but I hear you on this.

Mark52479

The Governor of Florida just ended ALL fines for people and Businesses' in the State of Florida. Local governments can NOT fine any business or person anymore.

We were talking about this a couple of days ago.

@GoofGoof

Edit: actually reading the order over: It says any fines that were handed out in the past year to any business has be wiped away. Starting tomorrow they can start fining business again.

Stupid poorly worded Executive order.

Last edited:

tpac24

He was the Vice President for 8 years and a Senator for something like 200 years before that ;)
I wasn't talking about poor old Joe. LOL I was referring to DeSantis and the article linked about the FL vaccine update. If I were giving kudos to our leadership on the federal level I would have specifically said Susan Rice but that is entirely different discussion. ;)

mmascari

Right. Many schools have been able to open safely. But people are pushing for kids to go back into even those schools that aren't ready (many still have no plan, no distancing/shield infrastructure, unwilling and unvaccinated faculty/staff, etc.).
We’re pushing for our school to have a plan. Not just blindly go back.

Last year, the rapid switch to virtual was chaos. Not unexpected. For fall, they did a great job and addressed most issues. Virtual has been as good as expected it could be.

We want that same planning put into school mitigation measures. Most of them aren’t new things. Ventilation improvements are the biggest thing, and they've had months to work on it now. Instead, there’s tons of focus on surface cleaning, the instruction plan is poor, only 50% are even returning and that’s half each week. With only 25% capacity in use, space shouldn’t be an issue.

The plan is to literally have the teacher in a room with 15 kids most of which are not in the class they’re teaching trying to zoom to different classes with headphones. For 8 weeks, 4 days a week. That’s only 16 classes for any given student. It will be like trying to watch the tiki room over zoom while riding the jungle boat and the next kid over is trying to watch carousel of progress. Plus the kid at home watching this teacher over zoom. Bad for the skipper and all participants. They may actually break what’s working virtually too.

This isn’t a poor district either. Money is not the issue. I mean, we don’t have money like the private high school in town that tests students every time they get to campus, hybrid so it’s “only” 2-3 tests a week per kid. Bonus, one of my kids hangs out with someone who goes there, distanced and with masks, but with all that testing we would know right away.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wasn't talking about poor old Joe. LOL I was referring to DeSantis and the article linked about the FL vaccine update. If I were giving kudos to our leadership on the federal level I would have specifically said Susan Rice but that is entirely different discussion. ;)
That makes more sense. It’s hard to say who’s doing well with vaccine rollout. Based on Bloomberg tracker FL is in bottom 1/3 of states for supply used, percent of population given 1 dose and percent of population given both doses. The percentages aren’t too far below the national average so I’m not sure it makes a difference. I think for the most part most of the states have figured this out pretty well. DeSantis has had some missteps with those gated communities getting private vaccine clinics when only hospital workers were supposed to be eligible, but that‘s a small fraction of the total doses administered.

Disney Experience

Since Israel is a leading nation in percent population vaccinated it is good to see that their R number is now 0.90 and that only 3.3% of test are returning positive. Hospitalization is declining too.

In contrast Brazil has only vaccinated 3% of their population with the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine.(They are asking the Chinese Government for more vaccine) and has the second highest death toll in the world. Normally Brazil is a big WDW customer, but if their situation remains as it is, it may be a long time before Disney sees Brazilian tourists.

While the state of Alaska has now opened up vaccination to everyone 16 and over.

MaryJaneP

Can the kids go back to school and have the teachers piped in remotely? This would seem to attack both the socialization concerns and the infecting staff concerns at the same time. There seem to be some classes (i.e. chemistry lab) that would be hard to handle. Maybe "each one teach one", by using older students as classroom aides would work to overcome some of these hurdles. A viable alternative to the hybrid systems currently being variably used in some districts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since Israel is a leading nation in percent population vaccinated it is good to see that their R number is now 0.90 and that only 3.3% of test are returning positive. Hospitalization is declining too.

In contrast Brazil has only vaccinated 3% of their population with the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine.(They are asking the Chinese Government for more vaccine) and has the second highest death toll in the world. Normally Brazil is a big WDW customer, but if their situation remains as it is, it may be a long time before Disney sees Brazilian tourists.

While the state of Alaska has now opened up vaccination to everyone 16 and over.
56% of the population has 1 dose and 44% both. They reopened most of their economy (bars, restaurants, sporting events, all schools, etc...) with certain activities limited to those people vaccinated. Could be us in a matter of a month or so when we hit those percentages. 👍👍👍👍

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That makes more sense. It’s hard to say who’s doing well with vaccine rollout. Based on Bloomberg tracker FL is in bottom 1/3 of states for supply used, percent of population given 1 dose and percent of population given both doses. The percentages aren’t too far below the national average so I’m not sure it makes a difference. I think for the most part most of the states have figured this out pretty well. DeSantis has had some missteps with those gated communities getting private vaccine clinics when only hospital workers were supposed to be eligible, but that‘s a small fraction of the total doses administered.

I was looking at the numbers from the site below and there isn't really a huge spread between the "best" states and worst. For percent population with one dose, New Mexico is at the top with 26% and Georgia is at the bottom with 13.4%, with the whole US being at 18.4% For complete vaccination, Alaska is on top with 16% and Utah on the bottom with 7.1% with the US at 9.6%. The spread of doses used is 76% up to 87%.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was looking at the numbers from the site below and there isn't really a huge spread between the "best" states and worst. For percent population with one dose, New Mexico is at the top with 26% and Georgia is at the bottom with 13.4%, with the whole US being at 18.4% For complete vaccination, Alaska is on top with 16% and Utah on the bottom with 7.1% with the US at 9.6%. The spread of doses used is 76% up to 87%.

Agreed. I know PA fell behind in the beginning but has pulled back to around average. The difference in percentages isn’t great and is likely pretty quick to change. I think the state and local governments will be critical in the next phase when the surge in demand dies down and they have to run programs to get vaccine hesitant people to come in. That’s when there could be a much larger difference between states and much more criticism for falling behind. Right now pretty much everyone gets a gold star ⭐

seabreezept813

Still can’t believe that no essential workers are getting priority. People who spent the last year showing up for work every day to keep the lights on, keep us fed, transport us, etc... despite the personal risk and risk to their loved ones and they will just be waiting even longer as anyone who can get online and click a mouse fast enough will get the appointments first. Sad to see someone only interested in governing half the population :(
This has been driving me crazy. I’ve seen available appointments all week at our local hospital but can’t book my husband. I keep looking because I’m due to have a baby this weekend so I wanted to find a time for late next week for myself. But in March, while lots of the world stayed home, my husband delivered food in an 18 wheeler with no access to rest stops, PPE, or sanitizer. And I’m not allowed to book him appointments that are not being used.. give me a break.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My vaccination appointment is at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow. I found out today I will be receiving the Moderna vaccine. Wish me luck! I'm hopeful I'll have minimal or no side effects, but I've had Covid and I've read that for people who've had it, the first shot can be as bad as the second for others.
Good luck. My appointment is 2:15 tomorrow. No cancelation this time :)

correcaminos

Can the kids go back to school and have the teachers piped in remotely? This would seem to attack both the socialization concerns and the infecting staff concerns at the same time. There seem to be some classes (i.e. chemistry lab) that would be hard to handle. Maybe "each one teach one", by using older students as classroom aides would work to overcome some of these hurdles. A viable alternative to the hybrid systems currently being variably used in some districts.
Kids in school with teacher via zoom? Who would monitor the kids? You cannot use kids to watch kids either when trying to contact trace. They are not reliable enough. It is harder to socialize distanced. Some schools did part in person and part streaming. That seemed to work better than what we had. It allowed kids to be together with their class instead of feeling isolated.
My vaccination appointment is at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow. I found out today I will be receiving the Moderna vaccine. Wish me luck! I'm hopeful I'll have minimal or no side effects, but I've had Covid and I've read that for people who've had it, the first shot can be as bad as the second for others.
Good luck! Hope it won't be too bad for you.
Good luck. My appointment is 2:15 tomorrow. No cancelation this time :)
Woo hoo!

pixie225

As a retired teacher, I had to giggle when I read this. The liability issues that would cause would be tremendous. My district does allow uncertified substitutes/aides in the classroom, but they must be "vetted" first - fingerprinted, background check, etc. Putting a student in charge of other students - no. Any kind of accident that may occur - kid tripping and falling, kid being tripped and falling - would really be a major problem for the school district. My district has a hybrid model - one teacher in classroom with the students, another in an empty classroom teaching remotely to students at home. Not great, but working for the moment.

CaptainAmerica

What happened on March 8?

Screenshot_20210311-063033_Chrome.jpg

seascape

As expected the NY Times is now reporting Florida is down to 22 cases per 100,000. However, there are still 3 states in the 30's. 7 in the 20's, 37 in the 10's and 4 in single digits. But there is good news as 2 States, Vermont and Connecticut are at 20 and about to go down to the teens. There are also 4 States, North Dakota, Kansas. Wisconsin and Wyoming at 10 and about to enter the single digits. On the horrible side New Jersey increased to 38 and New York stayed at 37 but Rhode Island went down to 31 so hopefully in a day or 2 we will be down to 2 states in the 30's, 6 in the 20s, 35 in the 10's and 8 in single digits. It is mindboggling to think that California will soon be be in single digits while NY and NJ will still be in the 30's. Something is wrong with that. California has show great progress over the last few weeks buy not NY and NJ. Yes, they have variants but so does the rest of the country and yet only those 2 states show no improvement. It's not what you see in public but behind closed doors. Too many gatherings? Something is wrong and it should be publicized. NJ is 58.33% higher than number 4 DC and 72.7% higher than Florida. NO EXCUSE!

Touchdown

As expected the NY Times is now reporting Florida is down to 22 cases per 100,000. However, there are still 3 states in the 30's. 7 in the 20's, 37 in the 10's and 4 in single digits. But there is good news as 2 States, Vermont and Connecticut are at 20 and about to go down to the teens. There are also 4 States, North Dakota, Kansas. Wisconsin and Wyoming at 10 and about to enter the single digits. On the horrible side New Jersey increased to 38 and New York stayed at 37 but Rhode Island went down to 31 so hopefully in a day or 2 we will be down to 2 states in the 30's, 6 in the 20s, 35 in the 10's and 8 in single digits. It is mindboggling to think that California will soon be be in single digits while NY and NJ will still be in the 30's. Something is wrong with that. California has show great progress over the last few weeks buy not NY and NJ. Yes, they have variants but so does the rest of the country and yet only those 2 states show no improvement. It's not what you see in public but behind closed doors. Too many gatherings? Something is wrong and it should be publicized. NJ is 58.33% higher than number 4 DC and 72.7% higher than Florida. NO EXCUSE!
Or a varient is taking hold more strongly in NY/NJ. WI is currently doing great, but I can confidently say it’s not because Wisconsinites are “behaving” better then the average, we love our bars they are packed like normal, and the great southern migration known as Spring Break is in full swing. Mask wearing is average and I’ve seen a lot of noses hanging out of masks lately.

Basically I doubt Wisconsinites are behaving better then New Yorkers. I really think it’s a varient, but the good news is that it’s not causing a surge but a plateau, and the more we vaccinate the quicker it starts dropping again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom