Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

They're eligible everywhere because of the HHS directive that came out a few days ago. It's the only reason this group is eligible in FL.
Think Indiana changed for the same reason. There were alot of complaints about the sites specifically for teachers not working yet to make appointments. A majority of the HHS sites were tied into the Indiana government site which wouldn't allow teachers. Walmart separate site still doesn't show any of Indiana.

Heppenheimer

It was on purpose so that news agencies can tout increase in trends, 4th wave. Everyone is dying ect..
Or if you actually read the full articles, which include the relevant quotes from CDC officials and epidemiologists, "concerns" for a 4th wave includes modeling that show what could happen under various scenarios. Being "concerned that something might happen" is not a prediction that it definitely will happen no matter what measures are taken.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Agreed. I know PA fell behind in the beginning but has pulled back to around average. The difference in percentages isn’t great and is likely pretty quick to change. I think the state and local governments will be critical in the next phase when the surge in demand dies down and they have to run programs to get vaccine hesitant people to come in. That’s when there could be a much larger difference between states and much more criticism for falling behind. Right now pretty much everyone gets a gold star ⭐

Good point. Right now those numbers reflect how many people states have been able to vaccinate, eventually those numbers will represent the number of people who are willing to get vaccinated.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
When FL has a spike/surge/whatever you want to call it, it's because Ron Desantis is incompetent and won't impose a mask mandate or close bars. When NY, NJ or CA has a spike, it's because of a variant even though, according to the CDC, FL has more variant cases than either.

I have read concerns that we are not doing enough virus sequencing so may not have a good handle on the prevalence of variants.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Was this a brand new change, and I know it doesn't cover all essential workers, but I read this today: (in FL)
  • Teachers of all ages, and firefighters and law enforcement officers age 50 and older.
Also, I'm not trying to debate or argue, just looking at all info. Saw this on an AARP site, so could be incorrect data. https://states.aarp.org/florida/covid-19-vaccine-distribution
No change. Outside of teachers who were forced on the Governor by the pharmacy chains essential workers under 50 get no priority and the Governor said once they drop the age down one more time it will just open to the general public. So a firefighter or law enforcement officer who is 49 gets in line with half the population when it opens to the general public.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If half of the population are "essential" workers then prioritizing them would be pointless since the number is so large.

As I detailed in a post the other day, in FL if you vaccinated 85% of all people 55 and over, you'd eliminate 80% of all COVID fatalities. The people in the families of the "essential" workers who are at high risk are in the eligible groups (either by age or high risk).

A 25 year old that works in a grocery store or as a bus driver should not be prioritized over somebody who is in a statistically high risk age group or who has been determined by their physician to be at extremely high risk.

That's even before you get to the fight about who is an "essential" worker. If you go down the path of the food supply, do you start separating the Wonder Bread delivery driver from the Frito Lay delivery driver and how do you oversee that distinction?
Nobody said prioritize a healthy 25 year old over an elderly person. Most other states have tiers of higher priority. They have gone with medical workers, elderly, people with Health conditions, essential workers then the general public. It makes no sense to me that a receptionist at a dentist office has gotten priority but a 49 year old EMT who interacts with Covid positive patients daily has to wait and then gets lumped in with half the population when they open to the general Public and that guy is out working all day so can’t sit at a computer clicking buttons hoping for an appointment slot.

Kevin_W

Nobody said prioritize a healthy 25 year old over an elderly person. Most other states have tiers of higher priority. They have gone with medical workers, elderly, people with Health conditions, essential workers then the general public. It makes no sense to me that a receptionist at a dentist office has gotten priority but a 49 year old EMT who interacts with Covid positive patients daily has to wait and then gets lumped in with half the population when they open to the general Public and that guy is out working all day so can’t sit at a computer clicking buttons hoping for an appointment slot.

Right, it doesn't make sense but as Disneycane says, probably half the workers out there are "essential employees" (my work classified us all as such last spring) and it takes a lot of time and effort to figure out exactly where those lines are. Particularly when there is no to minimal enforcement (would the state have a list of essential employers and I have to produce a pay stub?) and we're hopefully just talking about a difference in a couple weeks of when you get the vaccine it doesn't seem worth the effort.

DisneyCane

I could be mistaken but I believe an EMT is considered a "health care personnel with direct patient contact."

Nobody has to click all day. For Publix you enter a waiting room at 7AM and it tells you if your turn has arrived. Then it blocks the appointment you are working on so nobody with fast fingers can get it instead. It's not like getting a BG for RotR.

Several times I have randomly gone to the CVS site and I would have been able to book an appointment pretty easily if I was eligible.

By the time it opens up to everybody, the number of available appointments will be much greater each week. After the surge of people who desperately want the vaccine, I don't think there will be any issue. I wouldn't be surprised if they are able to switch to walk-in like the flu shot after a couple of weeks.

That's not even accounting for the demand satisfied by people lying about falling under the eligible categories for educators and jumping the line now. As far as I can tell, you just have to attest that you qualify and you can make an appointment.

correcaminos

I could be mistaken but I believe an EMT is considered "health care personnel with direct patient contact."

Nobody has to click all day. For Publix you enter a waiting room at 7AM and it tells you if your turn has arrived. Then it blocks the appointment you are working on so nobody with fast fingers can get it instead. It's not like getting a BG for RotR.

Several times I have randomly gone to the CVS site and I would have been able to book an appointment pretty easily if I was eligible.

By the time it opens up to everybody, the number of available appointments will be much greater each week. After the surge of people who desperately want the vaccine, I don't think there will be any issue. I wouldn't be surprised if they are able to switch to walk-in like the flu shot after a couple of weeks.

That's not even accounting for the demand satisfied by people lying about falling under the eligible categories for educators and jumping the line now. As far as I can tell, you just have to attest that you qualify and you can make an appointment.
People often have to click or redial for hours. I did getting appointments for loved ones. Downplaying difficulties isn't great when discussing equality issues. If we had it as easy as you said, I'd have a day of my life back...

Touchdown

I could be mistaken but I believe an EMT is considered a "health care personnel with direct patient contact."

Your incorrect according to most states. Emergency Personnel including EMTs were not vaccinated in the first wave (NH residents/employees and Hospital/Healthcare employees) in my state. They were however the next group, and got vaccinated right before >65.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Hey guys I just got Pfizer vaccine today for first shot, my second shot is supposed to be April 1st (21 days) but I need to changed into two weeks aka March 24th or March 25th or 26th for go to Six Flags Great Adventure on March 27th.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I assumed Firefighter and EMT were interchangeable. We can agree to disagree on essential workers. I am glad my state isn’t doing that.
Right, it doesn't make sense but as Disneycane says, probably half the workers out there are "essential employees" (my work classified us all as such last spring) and it takes a lot of time and effort to figure out exactly where those lines are. Particularly when there is no to minimal enforcement (would the state have a list of essential employers and I have to produce a pay stub?) and we're hopefully just talking about a difference in a couple weeks of when you get the vaccine it doesn't seem worth the effort.
We moved teachers up and I haven’t seen large issues there. We did medical workers and not all of them worked at a hospital. My dental hygienist went to the county site to be vaccinated. It wasn’t a lot of effort to figure out. I don’t see how we have been able to successfully give priority already based on occupation or medical condition but it’s too hard to do anymore. You use the honor system and people select their occupation or medical condition when signing up. Have the person sign an attestation statement when they get the shot. You don’t need to have a complex system to check, It has been working.

correcaminos

Hey guys I just got Pfizer vaccine today for first shot, my second shot is supposed to be April 1st (21 days) but I need to changed into two weeks aka March 24th or March 25th or 26th for go to Six Flags Great Adventure on March 27th.
You can only adjust up to 4 days. You cannot do a week early. Even then you need a week or two in order to gain full immunity also. It's not instant. But glad you got your first shot

correcaminos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom