Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I hope this is not going to be like the PPE at the start where the government buys up all the supply and others that need it have to scramble to find it.
I wonder if we will supply Canada and Mexico with any excess?
I would be shocked if we didn’t do that. Based on the warp speed contracts we have to buy the doses at the negotiated process whether we need them or not. We can then sell them at cost to friends who can afford it and/or give the doses away to Covax which is acquiring doses for a lot of less wealthy nations. Canada and Mexico as long as any Caribbean Islands would make a lot of sense because of the integrated economies with the US. If our neighbors are all done too we can have more commerce and travel across boarders.

carolina_yankee

According to the NY Times improvement continues is most states. Florida is down to 23 cases per 100,000 but would be at 22 if they used the 2021 estimated population rather that the 2020 estimate. Anyway, the 3 states of NY, NJ and RI are horrible and the only states with more than 24 per 100,000. In fact NY and NY, still at 37 are now 54.2% higher than number 4 South Carolina and 60.9% higher than Florida using the NY Times numbers. Yes, the people of NY and NJ are doing a terrible job and need to do a better job. There is no excuse because South Carolina was the worst state just a couple of weeks ago and has dropped significantly but my neighbors are proving how poor they are on healthy living. No excuse! Take your shot, wear a mask. wash your hands. Why are these 3 states the only states not improving? Answer is simple, stupidity.

3 States in the 30s
7 States 20 to 24 including DC with 23
37 States including 10 to 19
4 States in single digits

I doubt the answer is as simple as stupidity. Both NY and NJ had fewer cases per capita then the total for the US from June through January. I don't think people suddenly got stupid in January.

I seem to have replaced my Disney addiction with COVID briefing addiction. My sense here in NJ is that there is some stupidity and some variant stuff going on, plus the weather a few weeks ago.
  • I know personally of a couple of super spreader events in the area that are linked to the British variant - that was stupidity.
  • I think testing was down during the four weeks of heavy snowfall we had, so there is some artificial increase now.
  • There is the thought that the bad weather pushed people closer together indoors, too, increasing spread opportunities.
  • The variants are active here and we are a densely populated state. Within NJ, the most problematic counties border NYC, which has its own variant and has been having some struggle.
That said, hospitalizations remain low (though have been creeping up the last couple of days) and Rt is going down again after having gone up a bit.

Honestly, I think if we weren't vaccinating, we'd be caught in a huge surge, but the vaccines are keeping us at kind of a plateau here in NJ. Fingers crossed.

Should be noted the state health official feel positive enough to move indoor dining from 35% to 50% and to increase indoor capacities in shops and and indoor gatherings from 10 to 25. There are no caps on political or religious indoor gatherings, but still the requirement to distance and mask.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 59 new reported deaths, along with 3 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 2.36.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 2.36.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 2.36.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 2.34.50 PM.png

seascape

Florida was down again today. Based on the numbers above they are down to an average of 4,806 a day. Using the 22.2 million estimated population for 2021 that is an average of 21.65 a day so the NY Times should have them listed at 22 a day per 100,000. Another day and Florida continues to show a decrease. Even better, it is 5 consecutive dsys of cases below 5,000.

GabeP

Indiana opens up eligibility to teachers and support staff, child care providers, etc. Monday. Also opened to additional high risk individuals t
Indiana opens up eligibility to teachers and support staff, child care providers, etc. Monday. Also opened to additional high risk individuals today.
the prob is 50-59 aren't making appointments at the same rate as older folks were, which is slowing things down.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Florida will drop the age for vaccine eligibility further to 55 in upcoming weeks — and then open COVID vaccinations to all, Gov. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday.

On March 15, the eligibility age in Florida will drop to 60, allowing nearly 2 million more residents to get the COVID vaccine. “We look forward to that,” he said. “Then we will lower the age to 55 in due time. That will happen relatively soon. Once we get all the 55 and up. You probably can open it up to the general public.”

The governor said by the time he opens eligibility to all ages, every CVS and Walgreens in Florida likely would be participating in giving out vaccines."

JAKECOTCenter

"Florida will drop the age for vaccine eligibility further to 55 in upcoming weeks — and then open COVID vaccinations to all, Gov. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday.

On March 15, the eligibility age in Florida will drop to 60, allowing nearly 2 million more residents to get the COVID vaccine. “We look forward to that,” he said. “Then we will lower the age to 55 in due time. That will happen relatively soon. Once we get all the 55 and up. You probably can open it up to the general public.”

The governor said by the time he opens eligibility to all ages, every CVS and Walgreens in Florida likely would be participating in giving out vaccines."

Folks it's happening

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Still can’t believe that no essential workers are getting priority. People who spent the last year showing up for work every day to keep the lights on, keep us fed, transport us, etc... despite the personal risk and risk to their loved ones and they will just be waiting even longer as anyone who can get online and click a mouse fast enough will get the appointments first. Sad to see someone only interested in governing half the population :(

corsairk09

I had my doubts if they could ramp this up to the degree necessary to make a difference but I am impressed that they are throwing all hands at this to get shots in arms. Won't be much longer, just have to tamp it down until we kill it.
Hope that this is over feels like taking a deep breath again.

My thoughts:
1. Feeling ok about getting the JnJ vaccine on SUnday. Been nervous about the vaccines, but things seem to be going well so will take the plunge.
2. Can't wait for my Disney trip in NOvember!
3. IF we are going to get rid of mitigations in WDW, I hope the lose the store capacities and 6 ft before the lose the mask. Wearing the mask was annoying but bearable..... the lines criss crossing every where is a huge bummer!
4. Hope this year sees all of you hugging your family and hugging Mickey!

Disney Experience

carolina_yankee

It's weird, but I'm actually starting to think about post-COVID life. AT work, we're about to open a new building. We know it won't be used much until Fall, but we're making plans like it's normal. Weird.

Trips are now planned personally. Vaccinated friends are coming up in May. Disney is still on the back burner until things are mostly back to normal - it's not about feeling unsafe, it's about not being willing to spend so much money for anything less than full-bore Disney. I give them kudos, though. If I were local and an AP, Id've been there several times already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom