Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt9112

That's how our Wednesdays are too, including if they go back Wednesday will still be virtual. The kids call it a day off. Very few make use of the office hours time. I do hope it's helping the kids that need it, and I've told my oldest to use it more than once when a grade slipped.

Social interaction
Group work
Interactive feedback
Sense of community

In my case, both kids moved up and into new schools that combined kids from many schools of the prior grade. Which means they don't know most of the other kids, only the ones that came from the same prior school as them.

Teachers will put them in break out rooms for a group activity with like 4 kids. This is 4 kids that don't know each other trying to work on some group action over zoom. Almost all with camera's off and probably the mic too. Very little happens in these break out rooms.

It's hard to meet classmates when they're just a name in the participant list, even if they have a little video box. It's not like they're talking before or after class.

Plus all the tech issues that need to be solved by the in home technical support team. Don't you know I could be reading this forum more if I wasn't providing tech support? ;)

It's easy for something to go wrong and just get left behind for any single class.

I'm lucky, my kids are old enough that they're mostly independent. We solved most of the technical issues the first month, but now and then something still comes up. This included replacing the entire Wi-Fi infrastructure in the house. People with kids in grammar school or younger have it much harder with every grade lower being exponentially harder than the one above.

Nothing like some house wifi to be a true first world problem.

DisneyCane

Or a varient is taking hold more strongly in NY/NJ. WI is currently doing great, but I can confidently say it’s not because Wisconsinites are “behaving” better then the average, we love our bars they are packed like normal, and the great southern migration known as Spring Break is in full swing. Mask wearing is average and I’ve seen a lot of noses hanging out of masks lately.

Basically I doubt Wisconsinites are behaving better then New Yorkers. I really think it’s a varient, but the good news is that it’s not causing a surge but a plateau, and the more we vaccinate the quicker it starts dropping again.
When FL has a spike/surge/whatever you want to call it, it's because Ron Desantis is incompetent and won't impose a mask mandate or close bars. When NY, NJ or CA has a spike, it's because of a variant even though, according to the CDC, FL has more variant cases than either.

JoeCamel

When FL has a spike/surge/whatever you want to call it, it's because Ron Desantis is incompetent and won't impose a mask mandate or close bars. When NY, NJ or CA has a spike, it's because of a variant even though, according to the CDC, FL has more variant cases than either.
Number of variant cases in Florida is doubling every 9 days. We will get there and yes, it is all Ronnie's fault

Touchdown

If NY/NJ have a spike and the govt does nothing to stop it then yes it will be that state govts fault. It’s not like last summer where the states experiencing a surge had no public measures in place to stop one. They are following the measures most of the country is following, unlike the spring. If they aren’t doing anything different then the norm and yet are diverting from the norm there has to be another reason.

tpac24

Funny how that works isn't it? Maybe if DeSantis started sexually harassing the women who work for him and attended private social gatherings at expensive restaurants while telling his loyal subjects to stay home he would get more respect? ;0

seascape

Number of variant cases in Florida is doubling every 9 days. We will get there and yes, it is all Ronnie's fault
Florida's numbers are going down even with variants increasing. Every state should be going down because of the vaccinations and the number of people who have had Covid19 and recovered. Making excuses for NY and NJ is just wrong and I live in both states so I have the right to complain about my neighbors. There are too many of my neighbors who have never followed the rules and that is why the numbers are so bad. It did not help that our Governor kept saying how great we were doing because he only looked at the testing rate and not the actual cases. Cuomo did some good things but he got us to look at one number and not both. Murphy in NJ has done the same thing. Is it the government's fault that NJ and NY have the highest rate? NO, IT'S THE FAULT OF THE CITIZENS OF THE 2 STATES. Put the blame where it belongs and it is with us. Wear a mask, take the vaccine and WASH YOUR HANDS.

CaptainAmerica

Missouri added 81,206 "probably cases" that had previously been unreported. These were based on the rapid antigen test rather than PCR and they decided to change the reporting standard to include these.
Seems like Data Management 101 to not stick those all on a single day and instead backdate them as of the testing date. That's going to jack with the trendline for a solid week.

Heppenheimer

Vermont today officially moves to vaccinating 16 and up with certain qualifying medical conditions, including pregnancy and a BMI of greater than 35. And its really an honor system, no documentation required. The state would rather err on the side of vaccinating than potentially wasting a dose with a verification process.

And this comes in the midst of a mini surge in the state. About 24% of the state over the age of 16 has now received at least one dose of a vaccine, but we're seeing more community spread than earlier in the pandemic.

DisneyCane

Still can’t believe that no essential workers are getting priority. People who spent the last year showing up for work every day to keep the lights on, keep us fed, transport us, etc... despite the personal risk and risk to their loved ones and they will just be waiting even longer as anyone who can get online and click a mouse fast enough will get the appointments first. Sad to see someone only interested in governing half the population :(
If half of the population are "essential" workers then prioritizing them would be pointless since the number is so large.

As I detailed in a post the other day, in FL if you vaccinated 85% of all people 55 and over, you'd eliminate 80% of all COVID fatalities. The people in the families of the "essential" workers who are at high risk are in the eligible groups (either by age or high risk).

A 25 year old that works in a grocery store or as a bus driver should not be prioritized over somebody who is in a statistically high risk age group or who has been determined by their physician to be at extremely high risk.

That's even before you get to the fight about who is an "essential" worker. If you go down the path of the food supply, do you start separating the Wonder Bread delivery driver from the Frito Lay delivery driver and how do you oversee that distinction?

ABQ

The CDC and public health officials disagree. They laid out a specific set of guidelines with tiers that included essential workers. Almost every state is providing some level of priority for essential workers. It’s not that hard to do. Even if you wanted to do all 65+ first why go down to 55 and then general public? People like first responders who are literally risking their lives to help us get no priority. It’s pretty hard to understand....actually it’s not, just hard to imagine someone can get away with doing that and not get called out for it.
Was this a brand new change, and I know it doesn't cover all essential workers, but I read this today: (in FL)
  • Teachers of all ages, and firefighters and law enforcement officers age 50 and older.
Also, I'm not trying to debate or argue, just looking at all info. Saw this on an AARP site, so could be incorrect data. https://states.aarp.org/florida/covid-19-vaccine-distribution

CaptainAmerica

As you mentioned after, don't look at the single day reporting, but following the red average trend line provides a better picture anyway. Like scoring Olympic diving, dropping the highest and lowest, but still getting a reasonable picture. That blue spike barely impacts the red average line.
The blue spike is severely impacting the red average line. The 7 day moving average currently has about 10 days worth of cases in it. That's a huge distortion.

Did anyone catch the South Park Vaccination Special last night? It was hysterical!
Not as good as the Pandemic Special, IMO, but still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom