Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELG13

I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope your dates remain intact.
Thank you. It was rough so I decided I wanted to spend my first mothers day in the world. Looks like it might be under quarantine instead lol. But on the plus side my husband said if we don't go I can get the fancy coffee maker I've been wanting and at this point I'll take it!

ELG13

When do we think they will announce the new closure dates? Surely they won't wait until the day before they are supposed to open to say it's closed another 4 weeks....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When do we think they will announce the new closure dates? Surely they won't wait until the day before they are supposed to open to say it's closed another 4 weeks....
I think the whole country is on a wait and see. Schools near me are still only technically closed until March 30 but most are anticipating that will be extended. In the case of WDW I would assume an announcement at least a few days prior to the expected open date but not much more than that. They may also only extend another 2 weeks knowing it may be longer. They don’t want to close for longer than needed but guests need to know if they will be open before they get in their car or on a plane and head down. They should give at least a few days notice.

ImperfectPixie

I saw that. The woman (I assume the doc?) made a point to say millennials. I think I fall in that category but I've never identified with millennials. I wasnt raised getting my butt beat and having to earn trophies lol. I'm pretty sure I'm taking this more serious than anyone in our neighborhood. We live across from a park. I couldnt believe how many people were out there yesterday. I get it, it's gorgeous weather right now but now one is wiping down those swings bad slides and hand rails. I guess they think since it's outside it's safe? Who knows. We stay in our yard. We practice social distancing. But 4 people in a subdivision of 500 people aren't going to do much to stop the spread.
Yes - she's Dr. Burke (honestly, I wouldn't normally know her name, but I made a point of noting it). From what I've seen on social media, it's the younger Millennials and older Gen-Z peeps who seem to not be taking it nearly seriously enough and laughing at those of us who do. This shut-down of everything will only work if EVERYONE buys in. Yes, nature is healthy, and the sun and fresh air are both good at killing germs, but we need to follow social distancing guidelines if we're going to get through this as quickly as possible. That means play in your yard or in a large area where you can keep your distance from people not in your household, don't gather in groups. PERIOD. No video game parties, no play dates. BE THE MEAN PARENT. Us meanies are mean for a reason.

ETA: AVOID PLAYGROUNDS AND KID PLAY PLACES!!! Yes, playgrounds are outside, but we don't really know how long this virus survives on surfaces (at least I've not seen anything official yet).

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

My issue is the foreclosures and evictions we will see. Families... etc. my family included. What stimulus will be made for them to ensure they don’t lose their homes/cars etc?!

I just saw a commercial from Chase bank, they are going to work with their customers affected by this. Believe me the banks don't want a repeat of the housing collapse.

American Express also is putting out the word that they are working with their customers.

ElvisMickey

Desantis news conference - bars and nightclubs in Florida will be "suspended" for the next 30 days.

No groups larger than 10 will be allowed on the beaches, DeSantis says, noting the big crowds seen yesterday in the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Should have been done last week. Between all of the St. Paddy’s Day weekend block parties, the lack of concern by WDW last weekend, etc., I can only imagine what’s going through Central Florida right now.

JohnD

Should have been done last week. Between all of the St. Paddy’s Day weekend block parties, the lack of concern by WDW last weekend, etc., I can only imagine what’s going through Central Florida right now.

There's always a silver lining. As with WDW, I'm saving money.

disneygeek90

:oops:

Toilet Paper companies right now:
dims.gif

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.

ImperfectPixie

We've also got people like my MIL.

76-year-old, life-long drunk who now restricts herself to wine over her preferred Manhattans (even though her doc told her no alcohol). She has an active brain bleed and isn't expected to make it to Christmas. Thankfully (I think?) she uses humor to deal with stress.

Her attitude about this whole thing is - "hey, I could drop dead at any moment. I'm not stopping squat".

While I commend her for not being willing to curtail what could be the last days of her life, at the same time, I question her logic because if she catches the virus, she could conceivably spend her last days in an ICU and on a ventilator...and if enough people have the same attitude...we all know what that will do to hospitals.

solidyne

I really think it was in the US before December. Between the 2nd week of December and the end of January, my family of 4 had NINE illnesses (2 each for me and the 2 kids, 3 for hubby). One of those had a very distinct dry cough and fever and we were extraordinarily tired, and it didn't seem to affect the kids at all...we commented on how much fun they were having taking advantage of us being so run down. If memory serves, that particular illness was around the 2nd week of January and lasted about a week. (ETA: We've NEVER had that much illness in a single year, let alone all clumped together like that.)

Also, (and I don't want to scare you @21stamps) her post about her pneumonia reads suspiciously like Covid-19...and she's still recovering.

Google and Reddit apparently teamed up for their Covid-19 map...you can zoom in to particular buildings. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1yCPR-ukAgE55sROnmBUFmtLN6riVLTu3&ll=42.16063711438743,-70.7910235392497&z=18&fbclid=IwAR1iTWJsaM1bfh5k6PqFQ_dF1Rv-AZ3xL_8PeY111GxIqT_mIEFTX1Of2KA

That Dr. Burke (who appears with the president and his cohorts during the task force updates) and the governor of MA both felt it was necessary to mention millennials and young people when discussing how important it is to cancel play dates and get-togethers was both terrifying and hilarious at the same time.
Isn't each address pinpointed on that Google map simply the county seat?

Nubs70

:oops:

This business I am involved in. Manufacturers have seen 250% to 300% increase in demand. None of these mills have taken any downtime nor have built any substantial inventory. They all were effectively running at 100% capacity even before the current situation.

DCBaker

Premium Member
It’s not opening for me. What’s going on?

"Burbank, California-based Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) has shuttered construction operations at Disney World as coronavirus continues to impact Central Florida's once booming building industry, according to the head of the region's top construction trade organization.

It wasn't immediately known if construction workers will be paid or when construction operations will resume, said Mark Wylie, president and CEO of the Central Florida chapter of Associated Builders & Contractors Inc.

Wylie expects other Central Florida construction sites to shut down, as well. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended March 16 that events of 10 or more people be canceled or postponed.

"They're going to be closing a lot of construction sites," Wylie said of the Central Florida region. "It's already having a terrific impact on the economy."

Disney wasn't immediately available for comment."

21stamps

Places like the Keys just went thru Irma and the aftermath not too long ago. Their entire economy is built around tourism and people spending money at bars, etc.

I do not fault Florida for taking their time on making such a crippling & devastating policy for so many areas. Everyone can talk about ‘shoulda woulda’ and ‘stay home’,.. but you’re literally talking about destroying the livelihoods of so many people.. that’s not a light decision to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom