Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELG13

Yeah Tampa and Florida took a long time with Wrestlemania too. It was basically a game of chicken between WWE and Florida.
Didn't the state pretty much have to force them out? My husband watches with our daughter so I've seen them having their shows in front of no audience.

Phil12

Orange County FL officials held a covid press conference over the weekend. It’s health director, Dr Pino, said “for most people, about 80% of those who come in contact and develop the disease is just a regular cold/flu-like disease.” He then goes on to explain that, as with any other illness, its the chronic health issues that will complicate matters for some individuals. This is not the first doctor or medical professional I’ve heard call it a flu or a cold.

Yet, people on here get pretty abrasive if someone were to suggest otherwise. They are adamant that this is not a cold, and this is not a flu. :rolleyes:

After spending some time on this thread I’m learning that there’s way too much panic and hysteria being generated here. Mass graves you can see from space? Not happening. Possible reinfections? Not likely. It really seems like a number of people are parroting attention grabbing headlines as fact without corroborating anything. After tonight I’m done with this thread to save my own sanity. I’ll just use this isolation to work on my garden and not go anywhere near the internet.;)
I'm here for the entertainment value!

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I will agree to disagree here. Doing that would have brought on such a financial crisis for thousands of people. At least this way many of them were expecting this to happen and had a couple of extra weeks to plan for it.

Using the Keys again as an example, so many of these people wiped out their entire savings a couple of years ago because they couldn’t even return to their homes for a month or more...All while generating zero income and having their businesses closed. Half if not more of South Florida lives well beyond their means just because the cost of living, many of those people working in tourism or bars or nightclubs or restaurants etc.

These are all things that a governor has to take into account.
Of course he took that into account. By your own admission, they waited a long time to make this decision, which I can only think was because of the impacted businesses. We are talking loss of life vs. a potential recession. Money isn't the only thing to be considered here. If the President can come through along with the House and Senate on a robust package for small businesses, the impact won't be as harsh.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Of course he took that into account. By your own admission, they waited a long time to make this decision, which I can only think was because of the impacted businesses. We are talking loss of life vs. a potential recession. Money isn't the only thing to be considered here. If the President can come through along with the House and Senate on a robust package for small businesses, the impact won't be as harsh.
Agreed. The economy was in great shape prior to this. The stock market will rebound quickly as soon as the immediate threat and uncertainty from the virus is behind us. A lot of money is just sitting on the sidelines right now waiting for a sign that we have bottomed out. Lots of buying opportunities coming. As far as small businesses and individuals go there will need to be a major stimulus. If done right the government can reduce the impact. Recessions come and recessions go but dead is dead. I am pretty sure history will look back at this and the critique will be on those who didn’t act fast enough.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Ok now it's Armageddon, Amazon is suspending delivery

Huh? They are suspending shipments to their warehouses... not deliveries to consumers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ok now it's Armageddon, Amazon is suspending delivery for 3 weeks.
Not deliveries to consumers. They are only taking deliveries to their warehouse of essential supplies.

21stamps

I think we are fooling ourselves if we don’t think the impact will be extremely harsh on millions of our citizens, no matter the government does.

People can criticize Florida all day long, but they should be able to see the reasons and understand it. There’s no “right side of history” here. Only leaders making tough decisions while we’re dealing with something that has so many unknown factors.

ifan

The most important part of Construction workers stopping activity is that their N95 masks can now be used in healthcare facilities. The WH today was encouraging construction workers to donate their masks to nearby hospitals. These masks are NOT easy to make and there is a worldwide shortage that will last for months.

Regular surgery masks are helpful and mitigate a lot of risk - but do not work fully if the droplet becomes airborne (this happens near ventilators or respiratory treatment.) Right now hospitals are rationing N95 masks for these purposes, but it still won't be enough.

If you know any construction companies with extra masks - see if they can donate to their local hospital.

ZachPL

I'm pretty confident with Bob stepping down abruptly was because he saw what was coming with corona and didn't want to have to deal with it.

DCBaker

Premium Member
They let me check out just a few minutes ago.... so they have to be still shipping or they haven't turned it off yet.

Because they are not suspending delivery to consumers - that post is wildly inaccurate. See this article on what they are really doing.

ELG13

There's no way Vinny Mac would have cancelled Wrestlemania unless he was forced to. It is a huge resource event for them.
I guess he's hoping more people will do the pay per view. I'm sure he lost TONS because of moving it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom