Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

"
Burbank, California-based Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) has shuttered construction operations at Disney World as coronavirus continues to impact Central Florida's once booming building industry, according to the head of the region's top construction trade organization.

It wasn't immediately known if construction workers will be paid or when construction operations will resume, said Mark Wylie, president and CEO of the Central Florida chapter of Associated Builders & Contractors Inc.

Wylie expects other Central Florida construction sites to shut down, as well. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended March 16 that events of 10 or more people be canceled or postponed.

"They're going to be closing a lot of construction sites," Wylie said of the Central Florida region. "It's already having a terrific impact on the economy."

Disney wasn't immediately available for comment."
Thank you.

ImperfectPixie

Not only that but old people hang out with other old people and as we've seen in Seattle that can be devestating.

But it can be really hard to order old people like that around cause they are older and can be like "I'll do whatever i want"
And with all due respect to our elders, that attitude is extraordinarily selfish at a time like this.

ImperfectPixie

Places like the Keys just went thru Irma and the aftermath not too long ago. Their entire economy is built around tourism and people spending money at bars, etc.

I do not fault Florida for taking their time on making such a crippling & devastating policy for so many areas. Everyone can talk about ‘shoulda woulda’ and ‘stay home’,.. but you’re literally talking about destroying the livelihoods of so many people.. that’s not a light decision to make.
It's not an easy choice to make. But every day we don't ALL stay home is one more day that the sharpness of the curve isn't decreasing...and only means that we'll have to be under shut-downs longer. And of course, heaven forbid, the hospitals will get overwhelmed.

21stamps

It's not an easy choice to make. But every day we don't ALL stay home is one more day that the sharpness of the curve isn't decreasing...and only means that we'll have to be under shut-downs longer.

And the trade off, Is the destruction of lives who were just starting to recover from their last devastation.

We are where we are at now. But everyone needs to think rationally about why not all governors were so quick to do this, Especially in a state like Florida.

ELG13

Yes - she's Dr. Burke (honestly, I wouldn't normally know her name, but I made a point of noting it). From what I've seen on social media, it's the younger Millennials and older Gen-Z peeps who seem to not be taking it nearly seriously enough and laughing at those of us who do. This shut-down of everything will only work if EVERYONE buys in. Yes, nature is healthy, and the sun and fresh air are both good at killing germs, but we need to follow social distancing guidelines if we're going to get through this as quickly as possible. That means play in your yard or in a large area where you can keep your distance from people not in your household, don't gather in groups. PERIOD. No video game parties, no play dates. BE THE MEAN PARENT. Us meanies are mean for a reason.

ETA: AVOID PLAYGROUNDS AND KID PLAY PLACES!!! Yes, playgrounds are outside, but we don't really know how long this virus survives on surfaces (at least I've not seen anything official yet).
I agree. I don't understand why our governor is just slowly dragging out closures. Bars and clubs. Awesome. Now restaurants need to move to delivery or take out. Like they keep hoping people will make these decisions on their own but it's obvious they won't.

ImperfectPixie

I agree. I don't understand why our governor is just slowly dragging out closures. Bars and clubs. Awesome. Now restaurants need to move to delivery or take out. Like they keep hoping people will make these decisions on their own but it's obvious they won't.
People aren't doing what they've ALREADY been told to do. 😞

ImperfectPixie

And the trade off, Is the destruction of lives who were just starting to recover from their last devastation.

We are where we are at now. But everyone needs to think rationally about why not all governors were so quick to do this, Especially in a state like Florida.
Florida - due to it's large elderly population - is in the most danger of hospitals being overwhelmed and mass deaths.

hopemax

:oops:

Once this ends, there is going to be a nasty surprise for the toilet paper companies. There is going to be a huge contraction of toilet paper sales because people will realize their "stash" is going to last for 3 years based on actual usage.

ImperfectPixie

Our town police just issued a press release for people to not come to the station. They will handle any reports that don't require a home visit over the phone. They are also not accepting any food/beverage donations for the officers out of an abundance of caution. They are still responding to emergency calls.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Places like the Keys just went thru Irma and the aftermath not too long ago. Their entire economy is built around tourism and people spending money at bars, etc.

I do not fault Florida for taking their time on making such a crippling & devastating policy for so many areas. Everyone can talk about ‘shoulda woulda’ and ‘stay home’,.. but you’re literally talking about destroying the livelihoods of so many people.. that’s not a light decision to make.
I am a huge small business supporter and used to own my own business, so this hits home for me because I know some businesses will not come out of this. That being said, this is a once in a lifetime situation, drastic measures are needed and Florida and may other states should have taken these actions weeks ago.

21stamps

Florida - due to it's large elderly population - is in the most danger of hospitals being overwhelmed and mass deaths.

And they are also in danger of feeling the worst of a recession.

There’s no easy decisions here, and I think when people are sitting at home and talking about what a governor should’ve done earlier, when he’s worried about that fine line between extreme measures for health and financial ruin for your citizens and businesses. ..that we should realize the full weight of such decisions

ImperfectPixie

And they are also in danger of feeling the worst of a recession.

There’s no easy decisions here, and I think when people are sitting at home and talking about what a governor should’ve done earlier, when he’s worried about that fine line between extreme measures for health and financial ruin for your citizens and businesses. ..that we should realize the full weight of such decisions
Oh, trust me, I realize them. We have zero income for the foreseeable future.

hopemax

We've also got people like my MIL.

76-year-old, life-long drunk who now restricts herself to wine over her preferred Manhattans (even though her doc told her no alcohol). She has an active brain bleed and isn't expected to make it to Christmas. Thankfully (I think?) she uses humor to deal with stress.

Her attitude about this whole thing is - "hey, I could drop dead at any moment. I'm not stopping squat".

While I commend her for not being willing to curtail what could be the last days of her life, at the same time, I question her logic because if she catches the virus, she could conceivably spend her last days in an ICU and on a ventilator...and if enough people have the same attitude...we all know what that will do to hospitals.

Since this is the US, I can see a fare number of seniors living at both ends. They won't curtail their socializing, but they also "don't want to be a burden." So their plan, if they get sick, is simply to close their door and not tell anyone. They don't want to take an ICU bed, or a ventilator, and they'd rather die at home then alone in a hospital. 😥

Nubs70

poops.png

21stamps

I am a huge small business supporter and used to own my own business, so this hits home for me because I know some businesses will not come out of this. That being said, this is a once in a lifetime situation, drastic measures are needed and Florida and may other states should have taken these actions weeks ago.

I will agree to disagree here. Doing that would have brought on such a financial crisis for thousands of people. At least this way many of them were expecting this to happen and had a couple of extra weeks to plan for it.

Using the Keys again as an example, so many of these people wiped out their entire savings a couple of years ago because they couldn’t even return to their homes for a month or more...All while generating zero income and having their businesses closed. Half if not more of South Florida lives well beyond their means just because the cost of living, many of those people working in tourism or bars or nightclubs or restaurants etc.

These are all things that a governor has to take into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom