Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The PDF reported is delayed -

Here is what has been released - when the PDF is updated, I'll post the graphs.

There were 159 new reported deaths, along with 4 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

New Florida Resident positive cases - 11,640.
*Florida Residents tested - 110,336.
*Percent positive 10.55

*These numbers may wobble when the PDF is posted.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
An opinion piece of Fox about Florida vs New York Covid mitigation. I know some will not read it because it is there. Myself I try to read stories from varying sources because it is easier to see bias in all sources if I do, and easier to not fall into an extremely biased position (On any side).

Fox News isn't that bad, but, this isn't news. It's a opinion piece. No more worthy of pointing to than anyone's opinions posted here.

But, since she says just how much better FL is...

Cases per Capita: Historically, FL has had *more* cases per 100,000 than NY! Though, currently, NY is beating FL in current cases by 8 people per 100,000.
1610398004722.png

1610398031467.png

Deaths per Capita: NY has had twice as many deaths than FL due to that initial spike. However, the current death rate is that FL has only about .3 people per 100,000 more deaths than NY.
1610397972165.png

1610398067791.png

But throwing out "facts" without the figures to support her accusations is the hallmark of a hit piece. Which that was. As per her mocking of Cuomo.

Also, FL is doing bad now. Really, really bad. Trying to say how just fine it is by looking for a state that's slightly worse and making that comparison is pretty dumb.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This.

Back in 2019, how many states budgeted for 2020 COVID expenses?

How many states had lower tax revenue in 2020?
How well did states budget for 2021 COVID expenses, including vaccination?

How did the lower 2020 revenue impact the 2021 COVID budgeting and other budget items that need money?

I know my state is using money from the reserve/rainy day fund to pay for things. But that only goes so far.

As has been true since day one, guidance, organization, and funding is needed centrally for actions to be implemented locally. There's only one entity that can simply create money.
Agreed. States and counties can’t print money...the federal government can. That’s not technically true, but you get the point. They can’t spend money they don’t have. Just like testing and tracing, vaccination sites cost money to run and it’s not just direct costs. We all want to see the sites running 7 days a week full speed but if you need to bring in workers on weekends that’s an unbudgeted cost. I think if the federal government is going to rely on local governments to run logistics that’s fine (and probably more efficient since they know the area best) but they should still foot the bill. We‘ve spent trillions on stimulus and relief bills, don’t cheap out now. I’m not saying just throw around stupid money, but give the states what they need to get the job done.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

*Percent positive 10.55

So that’s a weekend daily average of about 12,000 cases a day. Ugly stuff. I think it’s safe to say the 2nd wave is fully on in FL. Stay safe people, and get that vaccine as soon as your turn comes up 👍

jlhwdw

Things aren't going to be better in 30 days. If Disney closed until things got "better" like some of you want, it'll be just like Disneyland. Indefinite closure stretching out for the majority of the calendar year 2021 and 95%+ of Orlando based Cast Members on layoff, not furlough. You say you want it closed, but you want it to be some fantasy closure where Disney has imaginary money to afford what it would do.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Today's numbers from the CDC:

View attachment 523475
Yeah, just like I said.

A large number of other items in a list in between two other items doesn't necessarily speak to have different those number are.

If, e.g., someone scores a 92 on a test, 98 people score a 91, and a third scores a 90. The one scoring a 90 has come in last place behind 99 others with a spread of 99 between them and the one that scored 92. That doesn't mean there is necessarily a significant difference between the scores of 92 and 90.

That's why I pulled my numbers for direct comparison rather than put them on a list where other scores can obscure their differences, or lack thereof.

BTW, NJ's positivity rate is currently 3 points below FL's.

DCBaker

Premium Member

*Percent positive 10.55

PDF has been published -

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 4.32.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 4.32.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 4.32.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 4.32.26 PM.png

Polkadotdress

Agreed. States and counties can’t print money...the federal government can. That’s not technically true, but you get the point. They can’t spend money they don’t have. Just like testing and tracing, vaccination sites cost money to run and it’s not just direct costs. We all want to see the sites running 7 days a week full speed but if you need to bring in workers on weekends that’s an unbudgeted cost. I think if the federal government is going to rely on local governments to run logistics that’s fine (and probably more efficient since they know the area best) but they should still foot the bill. We‘ve spent trillions on stimulus and relief bills, don’t cheap out now. I’m not saying just throw around stupid money, but give the states what they need to get the job done.
Last week Desantis stated he was mandating that all vaccination sites run 7 days. Clearly, that is not happening yet, with only 9K vaccinations. He also ordered the hiring of additional nurses to support the efforts.

Not sure if there was any funding behind his mandates though...

Disney Experience

Well half the team I work with are in quarantine because one tested positive. I did not interact with that person much recently so no quarantine is required for me.
But I am sure Pfizer would have been interested in daily samples if I had warranted quarantine to see if virus would persist in the fully vaccinated. ( unless I am placebo)

Wife asked me if quarantine rules are different for those vaccinated. I said nope, not enough data yet to determine if they can be relaxed.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Last week Desantis stated he was mandating that all vaccination sites run 7 days. Clearly, that is not happening yet, with only 9K vaccinations. He also ordered the hiring of additional nurses to support the efforts.

Not sure if there was any funding behind his mandates though...
He can say it all he wants but Manatee and Sarasota counties don't have vaccine to put in arms, plenty of capacity just no supply

DCBaker

Premium Member
"In Orange County, more than 250,000 people are 65 or older and eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine. But so far, only a small fraction of them have been vaccinated.

9 Investigates just learned the county has about 40,000 more people signed up for the vaccine than it has doses available.
If you’re booked for an appointment, and the county doesn’t have enough doses at the time, your appointment will likely be pushed back a few days."

"Orange County is currently vaccinating about 2,000 people a day, and they haven’t fallen short on doses yet. But the demand still far exceeds what’s available.

Health officer Dr. Raul Pino said Orange County requested 40,000 doses this week -- half Moderna and half Pfizer.

But the county has only received about 10,000 so far, and Pino said he’s not sure if they’ll get any more until next week.

The county has about 20,000 doses on hand, making appointment-scheduling a guessing game.

“Because in this type of environment is very difficult to plan that when you don’t have a constant supply of vaccine,” Pino said.
Orange County can refrigerate about 260,000 doses at any given time.

“But also, you don’t want to have so many vaccines in storage either. Because if something goes wrong, then all vaccines get destroyed,” Pino said.

He said he does not think anyone will need to be rebooked this week, but next week is still up in the air."

Disney Experience

Which makes no sense, because we’ve used less than 40% of what has been distributed to FL. Where is it?

one artcle quoted Desantis claiming a vaccination rate that if it is maintained 7 days a week would use up the incoming doses for the week.
According to the state’s vaccination report, more than half a million people have received the vaccine, with the governor adding the state is vaccinating approximately 40,000 people a day.

Disney Experience

Extra Shots at the convention center are not being wasted: ( Not many extra shots, but they seem ti have arns willing to get the extra shots)

_caleb

Q: [News13] “Park employees and out-of State visitors have tell us they’ve tested positive after visits at the local parks. What data can the State provide that supports what the State is saying—that parks are not sources of COVID spreads?“

A: [Dr. Raul Pino, Florida Department of Health] “If the question is have you had any cases in the parks? The answer is yes, of course we had cases in the the parks. Now, we haven’t been able to identify outbreaks among visitors. The outbreaks that we have had in the parks—and I don’t have any information that we are running through any active of those large outbreaks—is among employees...”

“What we haven’t been able to detect is individuals who came visiting to the parks, left the park, and got infected or we can assume they got infected at the park. Has that happened? Probably. Do we have proof of it? No.“

—————————————

“We haven’t been able to detect” is a funny way of saying, ”we haven’t been conducting contact tracing.”

Disney Experience

The reason I am assuming that it is first doses is because the 495,000 for Dec 14-20 needed matching 2nd doses delivered last week which is a lot more than the 253,000 received (which included Moderna while the 12/14-20 didn't).
That is a reasonable assumption.

Looking at the HHS data (See Pfizer and Moderna tabs under allocation in the link below) it seems to have columns for Doses allocated and Second Dose shipment. So I would concur with your interpretation and that we are only 84 weeks to full Florida immunization vs 168 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom